PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a Handgun in California

nemajnsf
08-27-2012, 3:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I travel long distances everyday to and from work (San Diego to Orange county). To cut down on mileage I've been taking the coaster. This has decreased my daily commute but makes it harder to have range time as I don't want to have my pistol in the trunk of the car at the train station so I leave them at home and make an extra trip to retrieve them after work.
My question is, If I have my unloaded pistol in a locked container and the mags in a seperate locked container (both in my backpack). Is that considered concealed carry and illegal?

if it is then I guess I'll have to find more time on the weekends. I'm not risking the Cali Gestapo from taking my rights away for mileage.

mikestesting
08-27-2012, 3:21 PM
I'll edit this post if I am wrong.

And I was wrong.. *Edited*

Quiet
08-27-2012, 4:13 PM
My question is, If I have my unloaded pistol in a locked container and the mags in a seperate locked container (both in my backpack). Is that considered concealed carry and illegal?
No. It's a legal method of transporting a handgun.
Also, the loaded magazines do not have to be in a separate container. They can legally be in the same container that contains the unloaded handgun.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall seeing it is only acceptable to have an unloaded gun on you without a CCW (even in a locked container) if you are taking the gun to a gun range, a gun smith, a gun store, etc. If you are taking it to work, and not directly to the range or the other mentionables, you might be going against the law.

I'll edit this post if I am wrong.

In CA...

There is no direct travel requirement for transporting a handgun or long gun.

There is a direct travel requirement for transporting assault weapons and dangerous weapons (DD, MG, SBR, SBS).

nemajnsf
08-27-2012, 4:47 PM
Thank you for clearing that up! It'll make my life easier

Sakiri
08-27-2012, 5:08 PM
No. It's a legal method of transporting a handgun.
Also, the loaded magazines do not have to be in a separate container. They can legally be in the same container that contains the unloaded handgun.

In CA...

There is no direct travel requirement for transporting a handgun or long gun.

There is a direct travel requirement for transporting assault weapons and dangerous weapons (DD, MG, SBR, SBS).

That kind of strikes me as amusing.

"We can't see it and it's a pain in the butt for you to actually get it out to shoot it if you wanted to so it's not a concealed handgun".

Though it makes sense. Direct transport and making transport unnecessarily difficult strikes me as a waste of their time.

AE102
08-27-2012, 5:20 PM
The other issue you may have to face now is does your workplace allow you to have a gun in the building where you work, regardless if it's loaded or not. If that's not an issue, then you're good to go.

Librarian
08-27-2012, 6:00 PM
That kind of strikes me as amusing.

"We can't see it and it's a pain in the butt for you to actually get it out to shoot it if you wanted to so it's not a concealed handgun".

No, no, it IS a 'concealed handgun'; it's just that transporting such a thing unloaded and in a locked case is an exception to being charged with the crime of carrying a concealed handgun in public.