PDA

View Full Version : Any of you bought a gun without holding/testing it out beforehand?

Kazaam
08-27-2012, 2:54 PM
So I really want to buy a gun (Sig P226 Elite Stainless), but I don't really have enough time (and I'm kind of lazy lol) to go check it out (and I missed the gun show). I don't need it immediately, so I'm gonna try and get a hold of it before I buy, but I've been wanting this gun for a while and I know I'll eventually get it anyway (it's to be my first gun.

Have any of you bought a gun without holding/firing it, and if so, how did your purchase turn out (good, bad, meh)? How irrational would it be if I did actually buy it? lol

Hopalong
08-27-2012, 2:59 PM
Not something I would do

Are you really that busy and lazy?

SilverTauron
08-27-2012, 3:03 PM
So I really want to buy a gun (Sig P226 Elite Stainless), but I don't really have enough time (and I'm kind of lazy lol) to go check it out (and I missed the gun show). I don't need it immediately, so I'm gonna try and get a hold of it before I buy, but I've been wanting this gun for a while and I know I'll eventually get it anyway (it's to be my first gun.

Have any of you bought a gun without holding/firing it, and if so, how did your purchase turn out (good, bad, meh)? How irrational would it be if I did actually buy it? lol

I bought a 1986 vintage Tanfoglio TA90 last year via gunbroker. Due to the nature of the sale pre-viewing the weapon was impossible beforehand.

Once I received it, the rear sight was cranked all the way to the left and the internals had a fair deal of rust in the frame. To its credit the pistol worked well and fired every round I fed it, but had I inspected it beforehand it wouldn't have followed me home.

After that experience, I refuse to even buy a brand new firearm without field stripping it first.Factories can make mistakes , and it is wise to catch any detectable defects in the store before money changes hands. Spending $20 in fuel to drive a distance is a better investment than buying sight unseen and blowing $50 on FedEx shipping back to a service center due to a defect.

justjeff
08-27-2012, 3:05 PM
2x xdm 45
I knew I wanted them and it was a great deal on GB.
I also just bought a SX3 3.5 online because it was a great deal and I need a semi auto 12ga
When I buy guns I know what I like and if I don't like it when I get it I usually offload it.

CZ9
08-27-2012, 3:05 PM
My first handgun was a cz, I only held it a few times before I bought it. Usually id like to shoot it before I buy (or shoot a very similar gun). Turns out cz makes good stuff lol. Sigs are nice... you can't go very wrong with a 226 in my opinion.

Sac-AR15
08-27-2012, 3:24 PM
Nope. I've fondled every handgun before each purchase.

Sac-AR15
08-27-2012, 3:25 PM
Nope. I've fondled every handgun before each purchase.

mikestesting
08-27-2012, 3:25 PM
Yes. I bought a Sig stainless 1911 without ever holding it or firing it. And, I bought it online. I couldn't be happier with the firearm.

I just posted a range report on it in this forum after firing it for the first time last night.

Moonshine
08-27-2012, 3:37 PM
Bought a Sig Pro 2022 because it was a good value. It was in .40 S&W and replaced the polymer guide rod with a stainless steel guide rod. I have since ran a course where I put nearly 1,000 rounds through it in 2 days and found it to be extremely reliable and accurate.

Casual_Shooter
08-27-2012, 3:37 PM
Bought my P220 without seeing it first (online purchase).

killathrilla
08-27-2012, 3:38 PM

killathrilla
08-27-2012, 3:39 PM

Paper Boy
08-27-2012, 3:39 PM
Yup, two rifles and a pistol.
Pistol because it was a screaming deal and even if I didnt like it I would make money off of it.
Rifles cas I knew what I wanted and they were it so I took a chance. Love one - like the other.

bender152
08-27-2012, 3:41 PM
I do this all the time. If I end up not liking it, I'll just sell it.

Of course, I tend to buy used. So if I do sell it, I don't lose very much money.

08-27-2012, 3:48 PM
I did when I had my XD45 service model.
It was ok just didnt like the long grip, never had any issues either.
Just walked into the store, handled it, DROS'd it.
Sold it about a year later.

2nab
08-27-2012, 4:00 PM
Many times and never regretted it once. If its a good deal you go for it.
If its everyday retail than by all means take your time and there is no rush.
Just depends which of those categories it falls in. I'd feel differently about someone buying without seeing/ handling depending on what and how much.

For a sig 226, at a fair price, I would have no hesitation.

If you were gonna over pay for a GSG / Umarex, A Taurus, or you were trying something unique like a steel 10" bull barreled pistol, I would say make sure your certain.

In this case, 226 is a champ, that not many people would be turned off by. I say go for it.

dvlsadvc8
08-27-2012, 4:03 PM
Held and fired all but one. My benelli supernova. I had previously held the nova, which was very similar. I guess if a friend has a similar gun, try it out and see if you like it.

whipkiller
08-27-2012, 4:06 PM
Yes, CZ SP-01. It is now my favorite.

I did handle the 75B beforehand.

acolytes
08-27-2012, 4:08 PM
Nope, won't spend that kind of money on anything I'm not sure I will like or not. Too much of a hassle to go through the paper work, dros, 10 day wait to determine that I didn't like it, and then have to sell it.

NytWolf
08-27-2012, 4:09 PM
A long, long time ago, I had a friend who had an FFL order me a Taurus 669 in a 357 Magnum and a Daewoo 9mm pistol.

Tjfearl
08-27-2012, 4:11 PM
I bought my M&P 40 without trying it. It was between a XDM and an M&P. I did my research on both and the XDM felt terrible and looks like a toy so I got and S&W. now I have 2 M&P's.

FUBAR
08-27-2012, 4:17 PM
I do it all the time.

BomarFab
08-27-2012, 4:18 PM
^ Similar for me Tjfearl. Handles M&P's and XD's. Couldn't find a place to rent them (went to one place, with a friend so I could rent it, and they said they didn't have time for rentals right now). So I went back to the shop that treated me well (even after looking at it 2-3 different occasions) and bought my M&P there. I am happy with it, I felt it fit my monstrous hands better.

I've bought two older revolvers without ever seeing them. I knew I wanted them, and I ended up liking them both. Haven't shot the latter of those two yet, but have shot essentially its equivalent (686).

Flyin Brian
08-27-2012, 4:30 PM
I bought my P226E SS without getting to fire it first, but I did play with it a bit and work the action. I knew I wanted it, and I knew if I didn't like it I could sell it... and I also knew I didn't have to worry about any of that :D

CSACANNONEER
08-27-2012, 4:34 PM
One of my main carry guns was ordered for me and I hadn't held that model before.

I'm currently DROSing a PPT that I said I'd take without even seeing a picture of it or holding one in several years.

I've bought a lot of other guns without seeing or touching them first as well.

KMosley
08-27-2012, 4:36 PM
I buy guns like that all the time. Like others had mentioned, if you end up not liking it just turn around and sell it as new in the box.

Hardwarejunkie
08-27-2012, 4:36 PM
I have bought guns without holding them before lots of times. Most recently a Marlin 1895.
I don't think I would for my first ever purchase though.
Of the pistols I've rented to tryout - I've never bought a single one.
It would be different if you've held or shot something similar and it is just cosmetic differences.

brownfeathermedic
08-27-2012, 4:39 PM
Go for it. Life"s too short to be short sheeting yourself. I bought a Israeli Browning Hipower on Guns America and viewed it till I drooled ,then bought it ! It was a great find and it shoots to the point of aim with those ****ty early hard to read sites. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kazaam
08-27-2012, 5:10 PM
I dont mean THAT specific gun...I mean that gun in general. For example I want to get a P226 (new), so obviously no one (except factory) has held or shot the weapon, but I've never even held a P226. Is that crazy? :eek:

trew10
08-27-2012, 5:13 PM
I bought both my 9mm and 12 gauge based on online reviews and online research. Happy with both purchased both American made!

CK_32
08-27-2012, 5:20 PM
I have.. But easily talked my self out of the risk and bought local..

Beig lazy might cost you a few hundred $$... I did order a used 870 barrel online (not the one for sale in my sig) but another one before that and it was pitted to all hell even tho sell directly told me it was not.. Didn't learn my lesson and night the one (in my sig) factory new online.. But that's more of a part which is slightly different.. But a firearm never unless it's for a reputable seller who will take returns.

2nd Shot
08-27-2012, 6:35 PM
Here's one out of left field for you.

For me, that's essentially every gun I've ever bought. I research and spend some time thinking over whether a gun fulfills the purpose(s) I want or need it for, check out how it's designed and if it has any known problems or quirks, whether that's a deal breaker or not, how practical it is, what the operating costs will be, and if that's a deal breaker or not. Then I pretty much find one and go buy it. The exceptions being a couple of my pistols that after locating one, I picked up a display model in the store, turned it over in my hands, looked down the sights, tried the trigger, then shrugged and signed the paperwork. Haven't been disappointed yet, nor sold a gun.

This is just one mans opinion, and I'm sure I'm just about alone on this one, is that sometimes people fuss and make too big a deal of ergonomics, trigger, and aesthetics, and anything else to the point where they fulfill their own prophecy sometimes. Me, part of my hobby is that I'll buy a gun and commit to mastering it. It may feel a little awkward in my hands at first, but I'll sit here at my desk, picking it up, activating all of the controls, practicing fine sight alignment, dry firing (safely!), until it's part of my hand and committed to muscle memory whenever I'm not able to be out shooting the piss out of it. I'll shoot it until I become good with it, no matter how easy or how frustrating. I make a commitment, I stick with it until I get results, and have never failed or given up. There's been plenty of frustration, but I've also enjoyed plenty of hard earned success once I "got it" as well.

Then again, I'm just strange like that.

glockfu
08-27-2012, 9:05 PM
This may be odd but I've done that with about 80% of my collection. I just do a lot research and if I like it, I buy it. I've only sold 2 and that was to get the updated model of the same gun.

tal3nt
08-27-2012, 9:10 PM
I bought Glock 19 magazines before I ever even held a Glock 19.

dls
08-27-2012, 9:14 PM
Ordered and paid for my Colt Anaconda,and Les Bear, sight unseen.

Oceanbob
08-27-2012, 9:25 PM
Yes bought (pre-ordered) an SP-89 from B&B sales back in the day. Bought it sight unseen. Never held it until I got it home.

hornswaggled
08-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Gen 4 G19. Because c'mon, it's a Glock. What could possibly vary?

Synergy
08-27-2012, 10:05 PM
I bought my 92F and XD9 SC based on price and feel. Once I shot them both I was happy with my purchase.

Javi
08-27-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm 4 for 4 :D I've held 3 at the shop but my last one had to be special ordered. Hadn't fired any until taking it home.

mc21
08-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Bought my p30 without having ever touched one before. I did play with a p2000 and did research on both guns.

Damn True
08-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Ive bought a number of guns without having fired them or one like them, but Ive never bought one that I hadn't actually had my hands on.

Apec
08-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Depends. Some guns are hard to find and it is unlikely that your LGS, gun shows, or friends will have one you can look at.

straykiller
08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
I bought my sig p226 without holding one, i had held kther pistols and found i did t like them so i went for the sig and very glad i did. As soon as my ffl go it in and i picked it up i knew i made the right choice, ive never handled a pistol that fit that right in my hands. But hey maybe i was just lucky.

lwlaml
08-28-2012, 1:46 PM
I bought the following guns never having held them:

CZ 75 SP-01
SA TRP
SA 1911 9mm
Stag Arms 3G
XDM 5.25
Glock 34

Not a single regret among them.

trendar5
08-28-2012, 3:39 PM
Bought P30 and PPQ before touching. And Shield. All good.

DArBad
08-28-2012, 3:54 PM
I did it on 2 Colts 1991 just because there were none locally when the bug bit me.

It was a big, big, big disappointment. I will never do it again, most esp. on Colts.

rspar
08-28-2012, 3:56 PM
I don't really get the I didn't like _____ fill in the blank, so I sold it. I like all my guns I just like some more than others. The last three guns I've bought I handled a little but never fired and had never fired one like them before. I've got a RIA 45 in jail and I've never fired a 1911 but I know I'll like it maybe not as much as my Security Six but I'll like it. And no I'll never sell it one day it will be my kids collection.

SpunkyJivl
08-28-2012, 3:58 PM
I bought my Beretta PX-4 without handling or even seeing it first. I did lots of research and watched lots of videos before hand though. I fortunately made a good choice. The only thing I dont like is the SA trigger take-up.

dunndeal
08-28-2012, 4:04 PM
I bought a nickle Colt Python and a S&W model 39 without ever having seen them, both were new. I paid $600 for the pair.

Josh3239
08-28-2012, 4:08 PM
Yes. Don't recall any particular regrets.

jabbathebum
08-28-2012, 4:10 PM
I bought a P-01 after only holding a SP-01.

StormRaven
08-28-2012, 4:12 PM
I had to because in order to get the XDm here in Cali it must be an SSE.

It's a great little pistol, but I like my '65 Colt OP better. ;)

SgtDinosaur
08-28-2012, 4:14 PM
Every time I've said "I'll take it" in response to a post on this website.

Lead Waster
08-28-2012, 4:29 PM
I bought a CZ-75 SA online without ever touching a CZ-75 before, just going on reputation.

I bought an RIA Tactical, but I've held many 1911's before. I just checked that the picture didn't show a giant "memory bump" on the grip safety. Ergos on a 1911 are basically all the same. The gotcha was that the plastic MSH was checkered and checkered plastic is really sharp. But otherwise, a 1911 is a 1911 (ergo wise).

Oh and I bought a Pietta 1858 Remington black powder pistol from Cabelas without ever seeing one in real life. Still haven't shot it yet!

Lead Waster
08-28-2012, 4:31 PM
I don't really get the I didn't like _____ fill in the blank, so I sold it. I like all my guns I just like some more than others. The last three guns I've bought I handled a little but never fired and had never fired one like them before. I've got a RIA 45 in jail and I've never fired a 1911 but I know I'll like it maybe not as much as my Security Six but I'll like it. And no I'll never sell it one day it will be my kids collection.

Well, I disagree on that. I have a Glock 21 and it's grip is huge. I didn't sell it though. I figured out later that I could grip it two hands, thumbs forward, isoceles stance and it's fine. But holding it in one hand it's too big.

It's the one gun I would consider selling if it weren't my first.

But I've decided there is no need to sell them. If I couldn't afford them, I wouldn't have bought them.

FeuerFrei
08-28-2012, 4:46 PM
Glock G26. Shot lots of 17, 19 and 31.
Reputation proceeded it. Usually I always shoot first before I buy. Just not this one.

Sent with 2 cans & a long string.

rspar
08-28-2012, 4:54 PM
Well, I disagree on that. I have a Glock 21 and it's grip is huge. I didn't sell it though. I figured out later that I could grip it two hands, thumbs forward, isoceles stance and it's fine. But holding it in one hand it's too big.

It's the one gun I would consider selling if it weren't my first.

But I've decided there is no need to sell them. If I couldn't afford them, I wouldn't have bought them.

Heh then you don't disagree.

toby
08-28-2012, 5:12 PM
Many, many, many, times but I always know what I'm buying.

ZX-10R
08-28-2012, 6:20 PM
FNP-9. Buddies recommended it to me. Have not regretted it at all. It has prevented me from getting an M9/ 92.

bsg
08-28-2012, 6:22 PM
i prefer to buy from my LGS when i can; i can examine the gun and also support a shop that's been good to me. there are some guns that are on my short list that i'm not likely to find at my LGS.

i've purchased several guns online; i've relied heavily on the "feedback" (from prior buyers) of sellers on Gunbroker online auction prior to making bids/purchases. if i buy online, i want to purchase from someone that has a track record of satisfied customers. i've also relied on pictures and descriptions offered from online sellers. i don't hesitate to ask for more detailed/different angled pictures of a gun for auction if i'm not satisfied with pictures provided. i make sure my questions have all been answered before i bid. my purchases of guns and accessories made from vendors on Gunbroker have been satisfactory.

Cactus_Tim
08-28-2012, 7:15 PM
I bought my Ruger SP101 22LR without handling it first.
It just came out and none were in stock.
I have no regrets.

pheyos
08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Yup. Bought my 1911 having never fired one. I just knew I was going to own one anyways, regardless. I did inspect it before purchase though.

spyke-52
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Yes. HK45c, Dan Wesson CBOB, and a Baby Desert Eagle .45, but only after lots of research, and lots of local searching. When nobody has one you can handle, and you've made up your mind that you really want/ need it, you order it and hope you like it. So far, no regrets.

NorCal Einstein
08-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes, bought my 1911 without shooting one from the same manufacture. My local range has/had a TRS for rental, but every time I was looking to shoot it, it was always off at the gunsmith for repairs probably due to rental abuse.

My M&P9 Pro was a total impulse buy, walked in the store and saw it sitting in the counter. I knew I wouldn't be able to ever find one at the range to try. It felt like a good fit and that was good enough to buy and and take the chance to see if the M&P platform would work for me.

LAKings22
08-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes. When I purchased my AR15. I had never shot one before. First one I ever shot was mine. Also when I purchased my Glock 19, I had only previously shot a Glock 17 when it came down to buying it, I picked the 19 it felt better in my hand.

Apec
08-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I did it on 2 Colts 1991 just because there were none locally when the bug bit me.

It was a big, big, big disappointment. I will never do it again, most esp. on Colts.

I feel ya there. Colt's QC/fit and finish on 1911's made in the past two decades is rather underwhelming for what they cost. Only thing it's got to it is its namesake, sentimental value, and rarity.

Q619
08-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Bought 3 guns w/o seeing or testing them. An Ed Brown SF, a HK P30 and a S&W 627-0

far from tactical
08-29-2012, 1:22 AM
Try before you buy....

JNunez23
08-29-2012, 9:10 AM
Kahr MK9 Elite, and I really like it too! ;)

himurax13
08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I bought my CZ-75 SA and my Springfield Loaded 9mm through intrastate transfer. They ended up being my two favorite guns. :)

Lead Waster
08-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Yes. When I purchased my AR15. I had never shot one before. First one I ever shot was mine. Also when I purchased my Glock 19, I had only previously shot a Glock 17 when it came down to buying it, I picked the 19 it felt better in my hand.

Oops, yeah, I forget the AR-15! I handled some at a gun show, then bought a lower. Obviously with a stripped lower there is not much to handle.

I also never handled the upper I bought for it (20" Bull barrel) and wish I had, it pushes the whole rifle to almost 10 lbs!!

mif_slim
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
I touch every gun before I buy it. Even if their the same make/model. I have to feel it feel me before I purchase it.

Only one time did I go to a shop (No names) where I wanted a Saiga and as I was still checking out one of the few Saiga they had, the guy just put the serial number of the one I was looking at in the DROS and say they cant change it anymore so I have to purchase it....I should of left but being a nice guy I said okay......now its one of the worst gun I have. I mean its realiable but accuracy sucks bad on it. 2.5-3" groups at 25 yards with reloads worked up for it. Standard 7.62 from walmart yields 4.5-5" at 25yards. I think my Titan .25acp gets better groups at 50 yards!

Omil
08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Every time I've said "I'll take it" in response to a post on this website.

Same here !

masayako
08-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Yup, bought my 1st handgun - p226 navy before I even know anything about it. Still loving it. It's a Sig, it can't be too wrong. Take a little risk in life, you only live once.

For my AR, I did handle it before buying. Mainly because I want to make sure it's light enough. It's a Colt AR 6720. Saw it in LGS and love the look and the lightweight. Went there 1 day after and tried to buy it, it's already gone. Turn out, I order the same one online for cheaper price.

RekEnhanced
08-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Bought the SR9c without shooting it and the only fondling was on the day of purchase. Best gun I never wanted to sell. One day I will buy one of those again. LOVED THAT GUN.

Bugguts
08-30-2012, 12:48 AM
My only previous experience with any handgun was a Mark III and a set of XD40's(full and sub) and I liked the XD's so I bought one in 9mm, dropped a PRP trigger group in and it was great. My second gun I bought was a Sig P239 9mm. I hadn't shot a Sig prior to that and had not rented one at the range but I knew people that had them and they loved them so I bought it. I frickin' love that gun! I like my XD, but my Sig, that is my CCW even though I have both listed on my CCW, the Sig is what I reach for first. Now waiting on the P239 40.

Would I recommend buying before trying? Not always but I research a lot and knew it was a solid firearm and I also knew that if I didn't like it, I could give it to my son or sell it.

Mr.Do
08-30-2012, 2:50 AM
Can't really go wrong with the p226, let alone a sig sauer. Great gun.

Bugguts
08-30-2012, 3:45 AM
I had to because in order to get the XDm here in Cali it must be an SSE.

It's a great little pistol, but I like my '65 Colt OP better. ;)

High Mag capacity? We have 3 XD's but not the XDm's. The Sig I want is not on the roster and I was told to turn in to a SSE and then change back but I am not sure I want to do that but I did figure out a way to get it without jumping through too many hoops.

bruss01
08-30-2012, 6:19 AM

I do it all the time.

In fact, that's how I bought my very first guns.

It's a little like an arranged marriage. With divorce rates of 50% do you really think that having your family choose your life mate is likely to turn out worse? LOL.

Seriously, there are some guns I probably would not have bought if I had handled them first. And you know what? I have learned to fall in love with some of them. And some of the guns I have bought, turned out to be "virgins" on the honey moon... meaning they looked great in my hand but they just don't shoot for beans. I don't sell my guns... EVER... so I have tried to find out HOW each specific gun likes to be held, likes to be shot. I think that this "working at it" has in general made me a better, more aware shooter. Because it's made me aware of things I probably would have overlooked if the gun had just fit me like a glove to begin with, and worked with all my existing skills instead of forcing me to develop additional ones. I'd like to think that this process has better prepared me to shoot a weapon of convenience if I am ever in a situation where I don't have my choice of weapon, but have to run with just whatever is handed to me.

One of my most expensive guns is one that I hand-picked in the store. I just loved the way it looked. I handled it for a couple of moments at the counter then put it in 10 day jail. Guess what? I never shoot it. It just doesn't point naturally in my hand, and feels like a 2x4. I didn't really notice it so much in the store. But under recoil... oh yeah baby, do I ever notice it then! Conversely - the guns that have become my favorites are ones that I had never handled a single example of, in person - just bought them from a picture online. Of course I'm talking about new guns primarily but I have also bought used guns the same way with very good results. I'm not saying it can't also go horribly wrong, especially for an uneducated or incautious buyer, but if you do your homework besides just looking at the pretty pictures... you'll go right far more often than you go wrong.

I buy guns I only know from pictures on the internet... but then, I buy nearly everything except groceries that way. I'm used to it. I look forward to getting to smooch my "mail order bride" for the first time. It's exciting, kind of like Christmas... you're never sure until it gets here exactly what you're going to discover. Some people don't like that. I suppose I can understand that. But buying guns sight-unseen has generally worked out all right for me.

Good luck!

TATER313
08-30-2012, 6:53 AM
No, I dont own a sig but have shot many different models and calibers. They are great guns, but I would recommend renting one and trying it out first.

tbc
08-30-2012, 6:58 AM
I did...Most of the time. Yeah, I am crazy.....:D

ivanimal
08-30-2012, 7:29 AM
I have bought 30 or more guns without firing them including a few upwards of 2 grand.....but hey I am funny that way......

Horton Fenty
08-30-2012, 8:11 AM
Yep I've done it. Sometimes I see a gun I just have to have, or it's one I've wanted for a while and found online.

If I'm trying to make a buying decision or choose between different guns I have to touch it and if possible shoot.

Saym14
08-30-2012, 1:00 PM
yes HK P30 and XDm

RekEnhanced
08-30-2012, 3:07 PM
After you've done enough shooting and you know enough about what you like and don't like you can usually make a solid decision without always shooting or handling the gun you're interested in.

That being said it shouldn't be your SOP to buy guns without taking them for a test run all the time. That's like a once in a blue moon and having a gut feeling kind of thing.

pc_load_letter
08-30-2012, 3:46 PM
I've never shot a Walther PPQ but will be purchasing one next week from a fellow Calgunner!

PCLL

Turbinator
08-31-2012, 4:40 PM

Nearly everything I've purchased, I bought without handling or testing it first. So far, so good. I'm happy. Maybe I'm just not too picky?

Turby

Russ Florian
09-02-2012, 1:43 PM
I listened to expert shooters reviews and watched them shoot. then I went and read the history of the company. I especially took note to the shooters that were my size.
Then, it having 3 interchangeable backstraps made me more confident to purchase.

I LOVE IT & COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/American_Sheepdog/MyFavoriteGun.jpg

Old4eyes
09-02-2012, 8:56 PM
I bought a Smith & Wesson 1911 alloy frame without handling it. I had a model that was nearly identical but in steel with a different finish. All others, fondled before hand.

Bullwhip55
09-09-2012, 8:23 AM
Better to go hold one...That SIG P226 Elite Stainless is heaver than you think...!!! You might be happier with the regular SIG unless you just want it to look pretty.

scootle
09-09-2012, 3:21 PM
yes, i bought a HK P7 PSP sight unseen via a dealer on the east coast... had it SSE'ed here when it arrived at the FFL.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6988/20110408043226s90img291.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6988/20110408043226s90img291.jpg)

BajaJames83
09-09-2012, 3:23 PM
Bought my S&W M&P 40 before firing it, but it just felt that good.

gunfan74
09-09-2012, 3:28 PM
I would find a store that has one, and at least hold it, if not fire it as a rental at a range. On the other hand, I just went and held one yesterday and ordered it, standard Sig p226 with night sights

bob7122
09-09-2012, 3:47 PM
yes. my 1st saiga, yugo mauser, and just now a norinco 1897 winchester riot gun. i liked the saiga. hated the yugo, not because it something was wrong with it; in fact it was an excellent rifle. i hated it because i prefer mosins for some reason. the shotgun still has not been fired. but i have only had it for 4 days.

DeathByDoubleDip
09-09-2012, 4:30 PM
Only with my CZ452 and my CZ75 SP01. I've handled a regular 75B before and wasn't expecting the 'heft' of the SP01 when I bought it used via PPT, but it wasn't a big deal considering I only use it a range toy. For $550, and the fact that I don't see the stock/factory config on the Private Sales board here very often is part of what motivated me to go ahead with the purchase.

friedokra
09-09-2012, 10:03 PM
My original duty gun was a Sig P226, but when the North Hollywood shootout happened, all my co-workers upgunned to .45s and convinced me to get a .45. I ended up buying a Glock 21 without ever testing it beforehand. I had only held it at the store for about 2-3 minutes before deciding to buy it. Although I didn't exactly like the fit in my hands, I managed to qualify with it anyways. I ended up selling it a few years later. However, the Glock 21SF fits my hands perfectly, and I have tried it out at the range before buying.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-09-2012, 11:10 PM
OP, I don't mean to insult you in anyway but when I hear people(especially my friends) say "I'm too lazy" to do something "right," then they shouldn't say anything if what they were doing or buying isn't exactly of their liking

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-09-2012, 11:13 PM
I'd also like to add that if you feel that you can resale and make back what you lost including DROS fee, I don't really see why you shouldn't buy it