PDA

View Full Version : saiga 223-since promags are usa and count as 3 US made parts......

Seeker760
08-27-2012, 9:43 AM
I just bought a saiga 223. I do not want to convert the rifle because I don't want to spend the money. The only things I want is a sling (already purchased), and a few extra 10 round mags, since I don't own any preban 30 rounders. I've noticed the 10 rounders everyone seems to be selling online is the promag that are made in the usa and count as 3 US made parts. Would using these mags consider my rifle a conversion without enough US made parts rendering it illegal in california? Can I get different mags that are not made in usa? What is the costs? I'm trying to spend as little as possible. I would love to be able to find some very cheap stock 10 rounders from people who have them laying around and don't want them. Also, is there an option if I found some prebans and just forgot that I owned them since 99? My memory is not great and I may have forgot I had them if I could only remember which types they were. Thx for any help, I'm a noob and apologize for anything I'm doing or wording wrongly.

Some Guy
08-28-2012, 4:21 PM
Indeed, if only you could remember which types they were.

The made in USA vs foreign parts is an issue known as 922r, google it and read until you have a pretty good grasp on the ins and outs of 922r.

Ive been told to avoid promags, I would buy factory Saiga mags or SGM mags for a Saiga 223.

The "finding" of prebans is a subject that gets heated around here, dont do anything illegal.

I would guess that with a few mods you may be able to use mags from an AK variant in 223, possibly galil mags, and there have been AR15 mag adapters.

Also you posted this in the rimfire subforum, it should have went in the centerfire subforum(way more people hang out there)

Hope this helps and sorry for the ugly phone post.