View Full Version : Finally shot my Mossberg 930HS yesterday

08-27-2012, 8:06 AM
Had the time for a short shooting session with my fiance yesterday, and was able to put the first rounds through my Mossberg 930HS. I put only 15 rounds of buck through it, then an additional 50 rounds of Federal wal-mart birdshot.
The buck all cycled fine, and I had 3 failures to eject with the bird shot. Since I'm will within the break in period, I'm not too worried about it. I did clean it up before going out. I'll clean it up again now that it's had some rounds through it, and get some more buckshot through it to finish the break in.
It shot great though, with much less recoil than my old 500. It did seem to be slapping me on the cheek when I was shooting. Should I use the supplied shims to lower the stock? Or raise it? I've never had to adjust a shotgun stock before.

08-27-2012, 9:07 PM
You may have to go sideways (Cast On or Cast Off) or other adjustments.

First step.

How are you mounting your shotgun?

08-28-2012, 7:37 AM
I'm not even sure what that means. But I'm not shooting it any differently than I did my previous shotgun.

08-28-2012, 3:56 PM
Read this post and follow the "gun fit" exercise.

Gun fitting by internet is imposable to do.....in person we can get a basic fit done and I'm not a pro at it.

True gun fitting needs to be done by a quality fitter and a day shooting at a pattern board.......but for us rec shooters a basic fit will get the ball rolling

Research the following terms and try to get a basic understanding ...then you will have a basic knowledge on what to tweak.

1) Length of Pull
2) Drop at heel and Drop at Comb
3) Cast On and Cast Off
4) Pitch

Here is a Youtube vid on gun fitting