PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1100 question

runway1
08-27-2012, 7:35 AM
My son's 1100 needs a thorough cleaning every 150 shells or so, or it will begin to jam and not cycle (I know, I know - clean the darn gun:rolleyes:. Preaching to the chior here).

I know the return spring (16" spring in the stock) is at least 20 years old so I figured we'll replace it. Did that yesterday and found the old spring was 2" shorter! Heck, that was a spent spring.

Question is; Will this new spring make cycling easier or will a fresh spring now require more force (aka stronger shells) to cycle?

I ask because I can't test it until this weekend. The gun normally shoots target loads, so light load cycling is important and I'm wondering if I just made it more difficult to cycle the softies:confused:.

sarge1572
08-27-2012, 9:27 AM
I replaced my spring as well and didn't notice any difference in operation. Just make sure your gas ports are clean, your piston/seal is in good condition and barrel seal is in good shape. It may cycle a little slower, but SHOULD cycle properly.

I love my 1100.

runway1
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks, sarge!

BigDogatPlay
08-27-2012, 8:55 PM
The gas system on an 1100 is self regulating and the gas ports are regulated to the length of the barrel. The mainspring, assuming it's the same energy when compressed as the spring you replaced, should not make a lot of difference. I think you'll find the action to be crisper.

Aside from swabbing the bore and wiping down the exterior after a shooting session I fully clean my 1100 every 500 rounds or so. I shoot mainly 2 3/4 dram equivalent loads running 1125 - 1150 fps and have never had an issue with the gun cycling unless I got well past my usual 500 round mark for cleaning the gas system. If the loads you are shooting are lighter than that you might still have some cycling issues. Anything slower than 1100 fps, like the powderpuff loads a lot of single barrel shooters run, and my gun doesn't do well, nor does an 11-87 I often shoot.

ETA: Keep the lube on the magazine tube and gas system to a minimum and you'll find it doesn't foul up nearly as fast.

ysr_racer
08-28-2012, 5:52 AM
I used to shoot my 1187 wet. It made clean up much easier.