PDA

View Full Version : wilson combat g22 barrel

high_revs
08-27-2012, 8:32 AM
anyone have this? i'd like to know if the chamber is fully supported. while i do intend to call Wilson, i'd like to be an informed caller by keeping them honest. :) and what do you think of it? (was it really better shooting). i know the limiting factor is myself on accuracy but hey, any help is appreciated.

if anyone has one and better yet, has a pic with a case in the chamber, it'll be appreciated.

i've been shooting factory ammo for a while since reading the kabooms (even on gen4 it looks like). i believe mine is a gen3 (can't remember.. have to check again).

high_revs
08-27-2012, 8:49 AM
never mind... just got off the phone. they said even their barrel has part of the casing exposed (not fully supported). it's the design of the glock apparently even for their match barrels.

Oceanbob
08-27-2012, 8:52 AM
anyone have this? i'd like to know if the chamber is fully supported. while i do intend to call Wilson, i'd like to be an informed caller by keeping them honest. :) and what do you think of it? (was it really better shooting). i know the limiting factor is myself on accuracy but hey, any help is appreciated.

if anyone has one and better yet, has a pic with a case in the chamber, it'll be appreciated.

i've been shooting factory ammo for a while since reading the kabooms (even on gen4 it looks like). i believe mine is a gen3 (can't remember.. have to check again).

If you want a good barrel for your GLOCK 22 (.40) I would go with a KKM barrel. No barrel is fully 100% supported on the Glock platform, mainly because you will need to feed ammo up-into-the-chamber and you will need some sort of 'ramp', no matter how small. The more supported a chamber is, the less reliable the feeding is.

Glock did have some issues in the 90s with chamber support in .40 caliber.

(see photo)..however as the years have passed they have actually improved the support and I would have no problems with the stock barrel these days.

Of course, if you're shooting lead (reloads) you will want an aftermarket barrel because Glock barrels don't like lead unless the Brinnell hardness is over 18. (double tap lead will run no problem). But lead bullets are either Swagged or Hardcast. Hardcast is almost always OK, because the hardness is sufficient. Swagged bullets are never ok in a Glock barrel because the lead is so soft.

I've also had good luck with Lonewolf barrels in .40 (for less money)

Good luck

http://i43.tinypic.com/scujd2.jpg

Oceanbob
08-27-2012, 8:53 AM
never mind... just got off the phone. they said even their barrel has part of the casing exposed (not fully supported). it's the design of the glock apparently even for their match barrels.

That's Ok...at least you didn't waste the money..see my post above I wrote while you were talking to Wilson.

Be well

high_revs
08-27-2012, 10:01 AM
thanks oceanbob! been reading a lot about kaboom in past months. just came across the wilson barrel. but have heard of lonewolf too (and storm lake). i read earlier before posting of the ramp. but i wasn't sure if it's by design that all aftermarket barrels design also, or if that was just how glock did it. guess i know now. :)

i'll look into the kkm also. thanks!

Striker
08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Have you tried Bar-sto and Jarvis? That's where I would look.

high_revs
08-27-2012, 11:01 AM
have heard of bar-sto (mainly on 9mm conversions iirc?). will look into those too. i came across kkm also as a recommended barrel.

CalTeacher
08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
The barrel is not the cause of a kaboom in a Glock, or any other pistol for that matter. The cause of a catastrophic failure is due to excessive chamber pressure caused either by double charges of powder, an obstruction in the barrel (often from a previous squib), or severe bullet setback. This can happen to any gun. Don't be concerned with a Glock barrel being unsupported. Observe the same ammo safety precautions as you would for any other brand of pistol.

As to lead, I regularly shoot lead that runs around 12-14 Brinell and have nothing but positive results in my G22 and G23. In fact, my G22 barrel looks like a mirror even after 300 rounds of my cast boolits. Load smart and you'll have no problems. Glocks shoot lead just fine.

high_revs
08-27-2012, 11:11 PM
thanks for feedback. i met someone at the range who had a glock kaboom happen on his also. and from what he told me and my reading, most seem to point to using reloads (unsure if they did their own reload) and the theory of the unsupported/not fully supported chamber plus a previously fired case (weakened i guess) = the kaboom.

i've been shooting new factory ammo recently. mostly winchester white box. have some from ammoman jhp bonded stuff. i still have a can of reloads i got from a cow palace show before. i think they were jacketed type. but now i have to check what the label says. i figure i cannot tell just from the outside if plated or jacketed, right? only from the bottom of bullet? (exposed lead part on plated?)

guess i have a reason to use the recently impact bullet puller? :)

p.s. i have shot reload on it before but i didn't know of the kaboom. actually i think i shot 100 rounds or a little more before i moved to factory ammo after reading about the kaboom stuff.

CalTeacher
08-28-2012, 9:57 AM
thanks for feedback. i met someone at the range who had a glock kaboom happen on his also. and from what he told me and my reading, most seem to point to using reloads (unsure if they did their own reload) and the theory of the unsupported/not fully supported chamber plus a previously fired case (weakened i guess) = the kaboom.

i've been shooting new factory ammo recently. mostly winchester white box. have some from ammoman jhp bonded stuff. i still have a can of reloads i got from a cow palace show before. i think they were jacketed type. but now i have to check what the label says. i figure i cannot tell just from the outside if plated or jacketed, right? only from the bottom of bullet? (exposed lead part on plated?)

guess i have a reason to use the recently impact bullet puller? :)

p.s. i have shot reload on it before but i didn't know of the kaboom. actually i think i shot 100 rounds or a little more before i moved to factory ammo after reading about the kaboom stuff.

Pretty much every major manufacturer of pistols will advise against using reloads for liability purposes. You get one person who has no idea what they're doing and next thing you know they are blaming the gun for the kaboom. Kabooms are the result of overpressure and/or case failure. This is an ammo problem, not a gun problem. I only shoot my own reloads through my Glocks. No bulges, no kabooms. I shoot lead (non jacketed/non plated) almost exclusively. As I said above, follow the same safety protocol as you would for any other gun and you'll be fine.