PDA

View Full Version : Range Report on my First 1911 - Pics included

mikestesting
08-26-2012, 11:23 PM
So I finally got to take my new Sig 1911 out to the range tonight. I purchased the pistol about a month ago and I've just been so busy with my first child and work.

I grew up shooting rifles and only rifles. I didn't fire my first handgun until I was in my early 20's, and being 31 now, I can still count using my fingers the number of times since then that I have shot handguns.

This is also the first time I have ever shot a 1911. I purchased it on a whim without ever firing one before.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/humangod/19112.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/humangod/19114.jpg

I loaded the mag with 8 rounds and set the target at 7 yards to get a handle on the 1911. I shot the head of the paper target first. This was my warmup and testing the waters of my new gun

Then I sent the target out to 15 yards and shot the upper left mini-target.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/humangod/19117.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/humangod/19116.jpg

Then I shot the middle of the target at the same distance of 15 yards.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/humangod/19118.jpg

Then I pinned up a new target and shot at 20 yards.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/humangod/19115.jpg

At 20 yards is where I fell apart. My groupings were nasty and I'm a little embarrassed to show my results, but there they are.

Can anyone give me insight into why I did so terrible at only 5 more yards? I'm sure more practice will help.

But I am happy to say the Sig 1911 performed wonderfully. It was so smooth and felt so good in my hands. The .45 didn't have as much recoil as I expected. I think the sheer weight of the 1911 helped.

I was only able to put about 60 rounds through her. I'm always pretty meticulous at the range and take my time so achieving hundreds of rounds in a day is hard for me. I did do a rapid fire at 7 yards on my last magazine of the night. I didn't hit much, but it left me with a smile on my face.

I love this gun.

XDJYo
08-27-2012, 6:19 AM
Dang!!! You certainly stepped up to a nice first pistol! AND, you're a heck of a shooter! I would say not bad...not bad at all!!! Better than some veteran shooters around!

mikestesting
08-27-2012, 8:01 AM
Dang!!! You certainly stepped up to a nice first pistol! AND, you're a heck of a shooter! I would say not bad...not bad at all!!! Better than some veteran shooters around!

Thanks for the kind words. This actually isn't my first pistol. I own a 92fs and 4 revolvers. I just never shoot them. But after getting this 1911, I can definitely see myself shooting this a lot more. It even made me want to take the 92fs out more and do a side by side comparison.

t0kie
08-27-2012, 8:16 AM
Not bad at all, nice shooting overall. Don't worry about the 20 yds groups, the more you go out it'll improve for sure.

boomer135
08-27-2012, 9:02 AM
start practicing from the reset position. it will help your trigger control, and also give you a quicker follow up shot with better accuracy.

to find the reset position on the trigger, dry fire and hold back on the trigger, rack the slide, and slowly let the trigger forward until your feel/hear the click. then depress the trigger from that position to fire.

This will keep your finger on the trigger the same every time you fire. practice, practice, practice!

nice shooting for your first time out with the Sig.

mikestesting
08-27-2012, 9:40 AM
start practicing from the reset position. it will help your trigger control, and also give you a quicker follow up shot with better accuracy.

to find the reset position on the trigger, dry fire and hold back on the trigger, rack the slide, and slowly let the trigger forward until your feel/hear the click. then depress the trigger from that position to fire.

This will keep your finger on the trigger the same every time you fire. practice, practice, practice!

nice shooting for your first time out with the Sig.

ok, that makes sense. i will try that next time. thanks for your advice.

XDJYo
08-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Good suggestion! I will have to give that a shot. I don't get out to the range, so all these pointers here are great to practice at home.

Again, excellent shooting even if you've been shooting a while.

Funny, as the 92f is what got me thinking more along the lines of a metal gun vs a plastic one! The rest is history.

FLAWLS1
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
That's a sweet 1911! Love the Sig 1911's

Bobby Ricigliano
08-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Great shooting and nice pistol. JMB would be proud.

CK_32
08-27-2012, 1:08 PM
Congrats on the new 1911

Jack L
08-27-2012, 1:15 PM
Smart buy. Enjoy!

mikestesting
08-27-2012, 2:34 PM
Good suggestion! I will have to give that a shot. I don't get out to the range, so all these pointers here are great to practice at home.

Again, excellent shooting even if you've been shooting a while.

Funny, as the 92f is what got me thinking more along the lines of a metal gun vs a plastic one! The rest is history.

So you have a 92fs? How do you like it? I really enjoy mine, the few times I have shot it. I acquired mine from a friend who moved out of the country and couldn't take it with him, so he sold it to me for $5 (he was a really good friend). He had never shot it so I got it brand new. I never would have thought to get a Beretta in my life. But now that I have it, I really think it is a great pistol. It's easy to field strip and clean, and has great ergonomics.

ROCKETW19
08-27-2012, 3:43 PM
that is a nice looking gun, congratz

XDJYo
08-27-2012, 3:57 PM
So you have a 92fs? How do you like it? I really enjoy mine, the few times I have shot it. I acquired mine from a friend who moved out of the country and couldn't take it with him, so he sold it to me for $5 (he was a really good friend). He had never shot it so I got it brand new. I never would have thought to get a Beretta in my life. But now that I have it, I really think it is a great pistol. It's easy to field strip and clean, and has great ergonomics.

No, no Beretta for me yet. It's just that I was checking out mostly XD's and similar guns for a long time-hence my screen name, then I picked up the 92f and the action and slide were just great! A few things ergonomically that I didn't like(safety position etc), but all in all, it was a great gun. That is what led me down the path of metal/steel guns. Then I rented a 1911! Whew! Nice.

That $5 gun was a great score! What a friend! Lol!

KMosley
08-27-2012, 4:39 PM
How do you like the Sig? It obviously shoots great, those are some nice groups. I always see them at the local gun shop, but have never heard from anyone with first hand experience?

mikestesting
08-27-2012, 5:05 PM
How do you like the Sig? It obviously shoots great, those are some nice groups. I always see them at the local gun shop, but have never heard from anyone with first hand experience?

It's the first 1911 that I've handled so I cannot really compare it to other makes. I have picked up other makes a few times in several gun shops, but they all felt the same to me.

The first thing I did when I got it was to learn to field strip it and reassemble it. It seems solidly built. I did have a hard time trying to get it back together again. It took me a few min to figure it out.

After the 60 rounds that I put through it, I had no trouble. I'm not going to clean it until I've put several hundred rounds through it to see if I can bring up any issues. Even then, any gun that exhibits issues after only 300 hundred rounds is a piece of junk. I expect this gun to function well beyond that count without cleaning.

It seems smoother than my 92fs. The trigger pull is good. It is smooth and has a light pull. I don't know if I would call it crisp. Maybe a little more squishy. It's hard to feel when the trigger actually breaks the hammer. But I like that. Crisp to me means you have slight resistance right as the trigger breaks the hammer free, and that could mean a slight pull when firing a round. This was smooth from start to finish.

The beaver tail safety grip does have some wiggle room, moving from side to side just ever so slightly. I don't know if that's normal for all 1911's, but I did wish it felt a little more secure.

It has the night sights on it. It's cool to see them glow in the dark. One thing I don't like is when the top of the front sight is level with the rear sight (upper edges of both sights), the front sight dot is not level with the rear two dots. Thinking back, I cannot remember if I aimed with the front sight level or if I leveled the aiming dots.

It has the rail on it, and that's one of the features that I liked, but I think I"ll leave accessories off for now. I like the look of it naked.

The finish is by far my favorite feature. It's sort of a sandblasted stainless finish. To me, it catches me eye and is just plain sexy. I've heard others say they don't like it, but it does it for me.

It has the checkering on both the front and back of the frame's grip and it feels great in my hand.

If I could go back, would I buy it again? You betcha. Hopefully this sentiment holds up after owning it for 10 more years and a few thousand more rounds.

KMosley
08-27-2012, 6:07 PM
Sounds awesome man, looking forward to shooting one when I have a chance.

MossbergMan
08-27-2012, 6:37 PM
Awesome first gun!! I'd venture two theroies regarding the "falling apart" @20 yards v. shooting well at 15.
#1 You are just learning to shoot a new gun. For first shots...well done.
#2 Fatigue. Unless you are experienced with extended, accurate shooting, you may have just gotten tired by the time you went to the 20 yard line.

Your 15 yard 10 ring shooting at 15 yards demonstrates you know the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Ammunition may also play a part in the spread of your group. I've shot factory ammo that didn't match my gun's perference for consistancy or velocity or bullet weight. Those round performed nicely at 7,10, 15 and then spread out at 17 yards on.
Experiment with different ammo. good excuse to get out to the range.