PDA

View Full Version : More than a couple of shots in shotgun today!

NickMc
08-26-2012, 4:02 PM
I shot a 10 gauge, both barrels, same time... didn't shoot again for 42 years.

Then I had the opportunity to try a gentleman's KSG at the range. He asked if I could keep an eye on his stuff while he stepped out. Upon his return he asked I'd like to "send some" downrange. I said; "I haven't shot a shotgun in 42 years!" He said; "Nobody's got one of these, you're in for a treat!" So yeah! That was pretty cool!

Then my neighbor got a Mossy Big5 special and I tried a couple of shots with that one. Meh. I wasn't impressed.

Today I rented a Benelli Nova and I enjoyed it immensely! It also felt like a tight fit. Both in its fit to me and the fit between all its parts.

I lobbed a couple pounds of lead in varied diameters: slugs, buckshot, target/bird shot(?) (I'm not sure what it is... #8 shot, the box had pictures of both a clay and a real pigeon on the box.) I must of shot 50 rounds.

Anyway, I really like the Benelli line. The fact that this gun was a well-beaten rental and still felt like a fine instrument is a testament to their quality.

I was loving the look of the M4 until I saw the price. (POING$$$$)

So I decided maybe a pump action would be for me. So what the real difference between a Nova and a SuperNova?

Can I go short barrel and get a longer barrel later? (Oh, Hi I'm new to shotguns and firearms in general.)

CK_32
08-26-2012, 5:24 PM
I'd suggest periods and the enter button every few lines.. I got lost and confused a few times while reading that..

IMO do more research in the 870/500/590/nova line and AR lines.. Don't let cost alone turn you away you can usually build for semi cheaper and other cheaper options in some ways. But the super nova is a fine in but I can not help in the options and difference due to my knowledge in the being semi limited.

gibbygoo
08-26-2012, 6:24 PM
I'll guess the Super Nova shoots magnums.

NickMc
08-26-2012, 6:35 PM
I tend to ramble sometimes. But I didn't see any missing punctuation. :43: One of these?

HokeySon
08-26-2012, 6:44 PM
If you like the Benelli but not the price, you might want to check out the Franchi. I think Benelli owns them now or something like that. The lines are no means identical, but the guns feel very similar.

Edit: or try a Beretta -- to me they feel different than a Benelli, but a great, well made gun.

NickMc
08-26-2012, 7:51 PM
I've been researching a bit... The SuperNova is really appealing.

mikey357
08-26-2012, 8:54 PM
Discussion on the difference between Nova and Supernova.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/19953-Some-difference-between-Nova-and-SuperNova-questions

ROCKETW19
08-26-2012, 9:20 PM
Buy 1 time get the M4 and you will never regret it.

Socalmedix
08-26-2012, 9:41 PM
For a pump I like the browning bps line but I just got a franchi affinity semi auto and omg it is a nice shooter, it's light, carry able and am all around nice weapon, I am pleased.

NickMc
08-27-2012, 3:51 PM
mickey357, that was excellent! That link answered all my Q's, Thank you very much.

ROCKETW19, I would love the M4, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, it's just not in the appropriations budget at this time. Well... it could be done, but then I could not get any ammo. That would be frustrating! Buy one time? Oh, I don't know about that... I might want more than one shotgun.