PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Mossberg 802 Plinkster?

Donkeypunch0420
08-26-2012, 2:08 PM
Hi guys,

Just looking for a small, cheap, short barreled .22lr to play with. This one seems to fit the bill nicely, and the price is certainly right. There are very few reviews on this gun online, and the one's that are there are somewhat mixed. I'm hearing problems with sticky bolts and other minor problems. Any Calgunners that can give me the low down on this gun? For the price, it's not much of a risk, but I'd rather just buy one gun to fill this niche. Thank all!

fishnbeer
08-27-2012, 6:23 AM
i have the 702 and love it. i have probably put over 10 bricks through it without any major problems. certainly not a high end gun by any means, but a great little plinker.

this thing gets quite a bit dirtier than other 22s that i have shot, so after 250 or so rounds it does start to not cycle correctly and bolt will start to feel really sticky/gritty. disasembly and reassembly is kind of a funky ordeal but after you do it a few times it goes pretty quick. also no aftermarket available for anything. i did successfully polish the trigger on this and tweaked the trigger spring, made a huge improvement but took me a day to get the damn trigger back together

for $100 its a great deal IMO

defcon
08-27-2012, 7:56 AM
whats a donkey punch? :laugh:

Izzy43
08-27-2012, 4:39 PM
A gun magazine did a review of the Tactical .22s. The Ruger came out on top and the Mossberg came in last. Sorry, can't remember the name of the magazine. However the Mossberg is about 1/2 the price of the other rifles that were reviewed. As usual, you get what you pay for and if the Mossy fits your bill then go for it.

Chaos47
08-27-2012, 5:27 PM
The Marlin 795 or Ruger 10/22 would be a much better choice IMO.

Edit: Just noticed its a bolt action? In that case Marlin XT-22 or Savage Mk2

fishnbeer
08-27-2012, 9:37 PM
702 plinkster today, 100 yards CCI blazer 40gr