View Full Version : 870 loading problem

Ken O
08-26-2012, 9:54 AM
Hi, I have a Rem. 870 tactical and have a problem loading the magazine. When I get to about round 5 it catches. Pretty sure when it gets to the extension. After lots of pushing and cussin, I can get it to continue to load. Any solutions? thanks, Ken

08-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Have you removed the "dimples" or detents in the original magazine tube? There are two, located about 1" from the muzzle end of the magazine.

They need to be removed for an extended magazine to function correctly.

Ken O
08-26-2012, 10:08 AM
thanks, but what if it was sold this way? Wouldn't that have been done?

08-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Do you have dimples on the magazine tube?

08-26-2012, 1:16 PM
thanks, but what if it was sold this way? Wouldn't that have been done?

ha ha haa
take off the cap and or extension and shove rounds in till they pop out the end to be sure

08-26-2012, 2:33 PM
sounds like you have the factory remington extension. basically its a two piece tube and you have to make that main part of the tube sit near flush with the magazine tube attached to the receiver. Its pretty weird. Just play with screwing in the main extension tube part almost all the way to where just a half turn or so of the nut part of the tube will tighten it up. I've learned it takes some practice

08-27-2012, 9:49 AM
Without seeing your shotgun it's kind of a tossup about what's causing the problem. Wouldn't the dealer have removed the detents? Not necessarily. Is it an older 870? or the new model?
Here's some information that may help you figure it out. This is one of the best 870 sites on the internet, so I would recommend you bookmark it. It covers just about everything you'll want to know from cleaning to modifying, including to where to send it if you fix it so good it won't work!!

This (below) video will show you how to determine if you have the dents in the mag tube and how to remove them if you do.

The 870 in the video is the older style 870 Express. If you are having problems with the newer style you'll have to look around his site, but it's on there too.

Good luck.

If it's the newer style 870 it's likely "mydogsmonkey" has your solution.

glock 357
08-27-2012, 10:03 AM
This is what a dimple looks like. Needs to be removed.

08-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Yea drill out the dimples and sand it down and refinish it and should run fine.