PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911-400 rounds later

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 9:30 AM
First chance to take my pistol out to the range on Saturday. Put 400 rounds and in spite of myself, it ran flawlessly!

My hands are pretty sore, the thumb especially. I was engaging/disengaging the thumb safety every time I brought the pistol in.

I spent the week leading up to it doing a lot of dry fire practice. So, the first shot was pretty good. After that, most of my shots were in a decent cluster, but almost all of them were below the bullseye-6 o'clock. So, I know I'm jerking the trigger in anticipation of the recoil. In fact, a few times when I forgot to disengage the safety, I noticed that that is what I was doing.

At this point, aside from more dry fire practice, I'm not sure of exactly how to fix it. I did find that I would take up the slack on the trigger and held it there until I got the target on sight and then I would click the trigger. I also experimented with doing a bit of a quicker trigger pull-so it's all one quick motion.

Also, I got tired quickly and my hands got really sweaty. So, the pistol was slipping a bit.

Anyways, the whole point of this post is that it got DIRTY! I was thinking that I may not clean it, but it was just filthy. My OCD got in the way and I spent the entire evening cleaning. So, here is a pic or two of just how dirty it got. I did notice that the 2 piece guide rod was coming a bit loose. I'll have to keep a better eye on that next time. I may have to use a drop of loctiite or switch over to a GI style guide rod.

Thanks to everybody on this forum for your help in answering all of my newbie questions and putting up with me over the past 6 months or so! It led me to purchasing this fine pistol and it was a hoot to shoot!

BTW-I went to Livermore/Pleasanton Rod & Gun Range which was run very well and has a great new facility (in the last 2 years or so?).

Thanks again!

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 9:40 AM
And here are the pics!

static808
08-26-2012, 9:44 AM
congratulations on the pistol! she's a beaut, dirty and all. i might add that you hitting low may actually be the pistol itself. my SA1911 milspec shoots low as well. i might send her in to see what springfield can do, but i dont wanna be without her, even for just a couple of weeks. groupings are still good, as long as i do my job.

congrats again, and keep shooting!

KWB977
08-26-2012, 9:45 AM
my Loaded did that when I first took it to the range (guide rod backed out) I ended up swaping it out to a GI set up with a Wilson Flat Spring, works even better IMO

jessegpresley
08-26-2012, 9:52 AM
Congratulations on your new toy. I also want to congratulate you on attributing your less than perfect accuracy on yourself and not the gun, as so many other newbs do.

Flinching is just a part of shooting life, and it will diminish the more time you spend behind the trigger.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 9:53 AM
congratulations on the pistol! she's a beaut, dirty and all. i might add that you hitting low may actually be the pistol itself. my SA1911 milspec shoots low as well. i might send her in to see what springfield can do, but i dont wanna be without her, even for just a couple of weeks. groupings are still good, as long as i do my job.

congrats again, and keep shooting!

Thanks!

I'll have to take it to the range again and see. I'm pretty sure it was me. :) I did try a few shots off the bench rest thingy they provide. It shot within 1" of the bullseye-I probably just pulled the trigger a bit.

I kept thinking that I needed a bigger target since some shots went off the paper! Hahaha! It was seriously that tiring for me after a while (desk job). They had 20 minute sessions followed by a cease-fire and then you could replace your target etc. That was the only rest I had. I was there for about 4 hours.

I totally agree. After the painful 6 month decision process and even more painful 10 day waiting period and even more painfuller 1 week until range day, I'd hate to be without the pistol for a while.

zfields
08-26-2012, 9:54 AM
Lookin good. nice to see a 1911 that isnt a safe queen for a change.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 9:56 AM
Congratulations on your new toy. I also want to congratulate you on attributing your less than perfect accuracy on yourself and not the gun, as so many other newbs do.

Flinching is just a part of shooting life, and it will diminish the more time you spend behind the trigger.

Yeah! It's not like the pistol will randomly shoot to the left, then right and then 2 lanes over! :)

I know it can shoot close to bullseye, as my first shot was very, very close. Since I haven't had any experience with it's recoil yet, I didn't get into the habit of flinching yet. But, afterwards it certainly reared it's ugly head!

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
my Loaded did that when I first took it to the range (guide rod backed out) I ended up swaping it out to a GI set up with a Wilson Flat Spring, works even better IMO

I was wondering what the harm would be if I just took that part out and used the GI style button? It would probably bind on the screw?

I looked on the Springfield site and didn't see a GI style guide rod in their accessories or parts page. I'll probably have to call SA.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Lookin good. nice to see a 1911 that isnt a safe queen for a change.

Thanks! I sold a vintage Roland Space Echo (guitar toy) to pay for this new toy, so there was no way I wasn't going to use it! :)

LAKings22
08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
What 1911's were you considering right before you made the decision to go with the Springfield and why? I've been looking for the past 2 months. I'm trying to keep the price under $1400.

zfields
08-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks! I sold a vintage Roland Space Echo (guitar toy) to pay for this new toy, so there was no way I wasn't going to use it! :)

Ouch. I made it a rule never to dump one toy to buy another. Always end up regretting it later.

t0kie
08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Congrats. You can just buy the GI guide rod & the plug from online places such as Brownells or Midway.

cindynles
08-26-2012, 10:17 AM

I was wondering what the harm would be if I just took that part out and used the GI style button? It would probably bind on the screw?

I looked on the Springfield site and didn't see a GI style guide rod in their accessories or parts page. I'll probably have to call SA.

My loaded did the same thing with the guide rod backing out. I replaced it with a GI set up from Midway. It will cost you less than $20 with shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/287729/wilson-combat-factory-plus-1-piece-recoil-spring-guide-rod-1911-government-blue?cm_vc=subv1_

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115464/wilson-combat-factory-plus-recoil-spring-plug-1911-government-blue

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Ouch. I made it a rule never to dump one toy to buy another. Always end up regretting it later.

I had that toy for about 12 years or so and although I used it when I played, I rarely played at a point for it to be appreciated, by me or others! Haha! It's o.k. though. I've got another little toy that does pretty much the same thing. Besides, it took a bit of maintenance and parts to keep running which the other toy (echo pedal) doesn't.

THIS toy is very cool! I like it a lot. I really dig mechanical things. Some for their simplicity and/or robust design and some for their gorgeousness. I think the 1911 fits them all.

Press Check
08-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Why kind of ammo was that?

zfields
08-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I had that toy for about 12 years or so and although I used it when I played, I rarely played at a point for it to be appreciated, by me or others! Haha! It's o.k. though. I've got another little toy that does pretty much the same thing. Besides, it took a bit of maintenance and parts to keep running which the other toy (echo pedal) doesn't.

THIS toy is very cool! I like it a lot. I really dig mechanical things. Some for their simplicity and/or robust design and some for their gorgeousness. I think the 1911 fits them all.

Fair nuff. I've had a couple basses I sold off and still regret it. Mainly miss my 6 string dean q6, was a Euro made before they switched to the korean factory. Still held on to my q4 custom though. Same factory as the euro spectors.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 10:24 AM
What 1911's were you considering right before you made the decision to go with the Springfield and why? I've been looking for the past 2 months. I'm trying to keep the price under $1400.

I looked at SigSauer-Their 1911's are right around the same price point, but have a lot of good upgrades. Similar to the Loaded model. The Sigs may be more plentiful too. The only difference is the slide profile. Some may prefer the Sig and others don't. I didn't really care too much about it, but I prefer the classic 1911 look.

I looked at the Rock Islands too. They are a terrific bang-for-the buck, but are quite a bit south of your budget.

There was a Kimber (not sure of the model), for about another 100 or so than the Springfield.

All in all, the Sig, the SA and the Kimber were all in the $1k category that I put for myself. The SA edged the others out because I just plain liked it and their warranty/customer service is on a level that a lot of other manufacturers don't have a reputation for. I went onto the 1911forums and there were countless threads about SA fixing items on an old gun etc. They usually go above and beyond the call of duty in their CS. At least, that was my impression.

In the $1400 range you're looking at, I would say you have A LOT of very, very, very good options open to you.

Happy hunting!!!

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Why kind of ammo was that?

I was using the bulk Walmart ammo-It was the Federal 100 value pack. 230 grain FMJ for $29.95/box. So, Saturday was a $120 day! Hahaha! I doubt I would go thru that much ammo again unless I had a sponsor!

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 10:28 AM
My loaded did the same thing with the guide rod backing out. I replaced it with a GI set up from Midway. It will cost you less than $20 with shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/287729/wilson-combat-factory-plus-1-piece-recoil-spring-guide-rod-1911-government-blue?cm_vc=subv1_

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115464/wilson-combat-factory-plus-recoil-spring-plug-1911-government-blue

Cool! Thanks for the link! I can keep the same spring right? Just switch out the guide rod and plug.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Fair nuff. I've had a couple basses I sold off and still regret it. Mainly miss my 6 string dean q6, was a Euro made before they switched to the korean factory. Still held on to my q4 custom though. Same factory as the euro spectors.

Yeah, I've had those regrets too. I've had to let a lot of other stuff go in the past. I've either traded for other stuff or...geez, this recession stuff STINKS!

Some stuff I'm GLAD I got rid of. Most recently though, I've been paring down to small and simple.

dc2integra
08-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Very nice springfileds are great 1911 s.

ChaneRZ
08-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Nice shooting man! Damn that's a dirty gun but glad that there's no malfunction! Are you running stock magazine ?

redcliff
08-26-2012, 11:27 AM
I like pictures of dirty 1911's and owners that are happy.

I don't know if you already do it or not, but wearing ear plugs PLUS ear muffs made a big difference to me in learing not to flinch.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Nice shooting man! Damn that's a dirty gun but glad that there's no malfunction! Are you running stock magazine ?

Thanks! It was the stock mags. I am probably going to get a few more 7 rounders with the coupon. Not sure why they don't have the stainless mags on the coupon, only the blue. Anyways, will probably try to order that and the GI guide rod and plug at the same time. Not sure if I will need the special tool or not. Seems pretty easy enough so far.

The biggest difficulty has been that stinking slide stop. I get so worried about the idiot scratch. Already have a intsy weentsie tiny one. Oh well. Kind of like a new car. Once you get past that first scratch, it gets easier.

Doubt I'll get to the point where it looks like it's been thru 10k rounds or anything.

Fortunately for me, once I broke the news to the wife that I bought a gun, she was interested in learning how! So, we're going to head to a safety training class in addition to my limited training for her at home. Then, in a bit, I'll take her to the range and rent a .22 or something so she gets the hang of it and then let her decide if she wants to jump into it and buy one too.

Synergy
08-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Might try some new grips for you slipping problem. I just ordered some 10-8 (5 LPI) G10's for my TRP. Some say they can be too rough. If so, many have smoothed the LPI with some light sanding.

My grips should be here this week, range report to follow. ;)

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-grip-panels-scoop-5lpi/

http://www.10-8performance.com/product_images/z/349/Grip04-DO__76157_zoom.jpg

Synergy
08-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Fortunately for me, once I broke the news to the wife that I bought a gun, she was interested in learning how! So, we're going to head to a safety training class in addition to my limited training for her at home. Then, in a bit, I'll take her to the range and rent a .22 or something so she gets the hang of it and then let her decide if she wants to jump into it and buy one too.

My girl likes the .22 but her favorite gun is my SA Champion 1911 in .45ACP! :p

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 11:40 AM
I like pictures of dirty 1911's and owners that are happy.

I don't know if you already do it or not, but wearing ear plugs PLUS ear muffs made a big difference to me in learing not to flinch.

Yes, I was wearing both! Something I learned here! Thanks! Another thing was how much I could 'feel' the impact from some of the other bigger rifles out there. I don't know what they were, but they had some serious stuff out there. People shooting out to 100 yards with scopes etc. Kind of cool! I felt kind of funny shooting for 4 hours at 10 yards. Oh well. Having enough trouble at that range, so why go out further?

When I was packing up, another person started talking to me, so I mistakenly took the ear muffs off and pulled out one of the earplugs...BIG mistake! The next shot took me by surprise! Hahahaha! Won't do THAT again!

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 11:44 AM
My girl likes the .22 but her favorite gun is my SA Champion 1911 in .45ACP! :p

One thing I didn't like when I was training on the .22, was that it stunk pretty bad. I know it's a cheap round to use, but not too crazy with that smell. But, we'll see what she ends up with. Whatever it is, I'll be the one cleaning and stripping it down so, I want something as easy as or easier than what I've got now.

Synergy
08-26-2012, 11:51 AM
One thing I didn't like when I was training on the .22, was that it stunk pretty bad. I know it's a cheap round to use, but not too crazy with that smell. But, we'll see what she ends up with. Whatever it is, I'll be the one cleaning and stripping it down so, I want something as easy as or easier than what I've got now.

Nothing gets much easier than the 1911 with a GI guide rod.

ChaneRZ
08-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks! It was the stock mags. I am probably going to get a few more 7 rounders with the coupon. Not sure why they don't have the stainless mags on the coupon, only the blue. Anyways, will probably try to order that and the GI guide rod and plug at the same time. Not sure if I will need the special tool or not. Seems pretty easy enough so far.

The biggest difficulty has been that stinking slide stop. I get so worried about the idiot scratch. Already have a intsy weentsie tiny one. Oh well. Kind of like a new car. Once you get past that first scratch, it gets easier.

Doubt I'll get to the point where it looks like it's been thru 10k rounds or anything.

Just get a thin card for the slide stop. you could cut it and mold it so it fits by the magazine release. Put the card in, put the slide stop, rotate the slide stop, once it's already aligned, take out the card and push the slide stop.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Might try some new grips for you slipping problem. I just ordered some 10-8 (5 LPI) G10's for my TRP. Some say they can be too rough. If so, many have smoothed the LPI with some light sanding.

My grips should be here this week, range report to follow. ;)

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-grip-panels-scoop-5lpi/

http://www.10-8performance.com/product_images/z/349/Grip04-DO__76157_zoom.jpg

Yeah, I'm King Sweaty Palms! LOL! I was thinking of getting some gloves, but I'd hate to look like I'm pretending to be all commando and shoot really horribly! The guy at the local shop suggested some rubber grips. I was looking into it. Maybe a little bit further down the road. Biggest priority right now is more ammo and/or probably a better safe. I bought a smallish gunsafe, but I think it's a little too small. Might return it for a bigger one.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely be looking into it!

KWB977
08-26-2012, 11:56 AM

I just got the wilson kit, works perfect.. Probably have 1000 rounds down range with it in this configuration.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Full-Size/productinfo/614/

You can use the stock recoil spring plug or get a closed ended one.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 12:00 PM
I just got the wilson kit, works perfect.. Probably have 1000 rounds down range with it in this configuration.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Full-Size/productinfo/614/

You can use the stock recoil spring plug or get a closed ended one.

Thanks for the link! I'll probably want to get a closed one-the one with the serrations(?) on it.

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Just get a thin card for the slide stop. you could cut it and mold it so it fits by the magazine release. Put the card in, put the slide stop, rotate the slide stop, once it's already aligned, take out the card and push the slide stop.

I tried blue tape last night. I have a bit of a time snapping the slide stop into the hole, so I help it along with a thin metal ruler. Not sure if that will get any easier over time or not. I hope so. It seems like it snaps in much easier on youtube. Haha! I saw someone who filed a nice little notch into his slide stop which made it easier. Kind of scared to do that to my new gun.

Good idea on the card too! Have a bunch of old business cards.

This is what I LOVE about this forum! CG rules!

LAKings22
08-26-2012, 3:08 PM
I looked at SigSauer-Their 1911's are right around the same price point, but have a lot of good upgrades. Similar to the Loaded model. The Sigs may be more plentiful too. The only difference is the slide profile. Some may prefer the Sig and others don't. I didn't really care too much about it, but I prefer the classic 1911 look.

I looked at the Rock Islands too. They are a terrific bang-for-the buck, but are quite a bit south of your budget.

There was a Kimber (not sure of the model), for about another 100 or so than the Springfield.

All in all, the Sig, the SA and the Kimber were all in the $1k category that I put for myself. The SA edged the others out because I just plain liked it and their warranty/customer service is on a level that a lot of other manufacturers don't have a reputation for. I went onto the 1911forums and there were countless threads about SA fixing items on an old gun etc. They usually go above and beyond the call of duty in their CS. At least, that was my impression.

In the $1400 range you're looking at, I would say you have A LOT of very, very, very good options open to you.

Happy hunting!!!

Thanks. I really like the Springfields so far Its my top pick followed by kimber

INFAMOUS762X39
08-26-2012, 3:26 PM
Very nice, Congrats on the 1911. Just get in more range time and master that trigger/sight picture/grip/stance/breathing.

I recently broke in my first 1911 Kimber TLE 550rds in. I love it, can't wait until funds are right for my next 1911 purchase. They are such fantastic firearms!

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 9:52 PM
Very nice, Congrats on the 1911. Just get in more range time and master that trigger/sight picture/grip/stance/breathing.

I recently broke in my first 1911 Kimber TLE 550rds in. I love it, can't wait until funds are right for my next 1911 purchase. They are such fantastic firearms!

Definitely will do! Am looking forward to some time in the following 2 weeks or so. Already been doing some more dry fire practicing today. Need to work on keeping the pistol steady.

Really loving the 1911 platform. Just a real good, solidly engineering piece! I love the design and elegance to it's simplicity!