PDA

View Full Version : Everything old is new again

Hdawg
08-26-2012, 1:09 AM
Today, well yesterday but I haven't been to bed yet, I got my new used 10/22 out of jail. The first rifle I ever bought myself over 25 years ago was a 10/22 and I always regretted trading it off. I finally found a used one about three weeks ago and I was pulling out my wallet before I even looked at the price tag. I didn't even try to haggle. I hadn't seen one that cheap in over ten years. I paid $179 plus dros and tax, came out to $223.

It is a carbine and it was made before they started putting the warning label on the barrel. It has a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3X9X32 scope on it. The poor little rifle was filthy. It looked like it had been rode hard and put away wet more than once, but there was no rust, just some grime and the marks you find on a rifle that has been used.

Tonight after work I sat down with it and broke it all the way down except for disassembling the fire control group. Scrubbed it all down and cleaned it, then oiled it up. It looks almost new compared to the way it was when I brought it home. While I was waiting to get it out of jail I ordered a couple of factory mags from Midway. Later I will have to dig out those old Butler Creek and Ramline high caps I put away years ago.

Hopefully, I will make it out to the range this week. When I do, I will post a follow up and tell you how it shoots. Any suggestions on what ammo I should start with? What cheap stuff are you guys having good results with? Are there any simple, inexpensive mods that are a must?

And before anyone else posts it :useless: I will get some pics up in the next few days. I didn't have the heart to take any before I got it cleaned up, so no before, just after.

mmayer707
08-26-2012, 1:15 AM
The 10/22 will eat anything you feed it...

Hdawg
08-26-2012, 1:33 AM
The 10/22 will eat anything you feed it...

Yeah, I know. :D
What I meant was what cheap ammo has decent accuracy? I know different rounds will shoot different in different guns (whew! enough differents in there?), but is there a cheap load that tends to shoot better than the others in most guns?

donw
08-26-2012, 9:17 AM
give it a good cleaning and it should eat any ammo you feed it.

davek8s
08-26-2012, 1:04 PM
My 10/22 likes Federal 550 best. Next choice would be Win555. I just stay away from Remington thunder bolts and gold box junk.

chknlyps2
08-26-2012, 1:36 PM
Out of the 15 or so .22's I have Blazer is what I like best, 2 of them are 10/22's. Some of them will eat anything and some are 60 or so years old and have an issue here or there and Blazer seems to work the best between them all.

me109g4
08-26-2012, 2:53 PM
My 10/22 likes Federal 550 best. Next choice would be Win555. I just stay away from Remington thunder bolts and gold box junk.

agree, mine also hate the Remington stuff, complete jamomatic. The favourite for all my rugers is the Federal bulk. However, your results may vary.

Hdawg
09-10-2012, 2:31 PM
Well, I finally got the 10/22 out to the range today. The trigger is great after I installed the Volquartsen hammer. The old magazine that came with the rifle when I bought it has at least one jam per mag. I will have to take it apart and see if a good cleaning helps. The new factory mag I bought from Midway was flawless. I shot Winchester 333 bulk ammo and CCI Minimags. The Winchester wasn't too bad, fairly accurate with several that didn't fire. The Minimags were great. Very accurate and no duds. Next time, I'll try some of the Federal bulk I have on hand and whatever catches my eye at Walmart. I will definitely be replacing the cheap Bushnell scope it came with when funds allow.

I took more pictures, but my phone ate them. This one shows two 10 shot groups from 50 yards. The one in the head is the CCI and the bottom one is the Winchester.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r485/hmosleyjr/bc4a5d39.jpg

This rifle shoots better than I can (most do :D ), but the scope has got to go. Considering I spent about $275 out the door including the hammer, magazine, rifle, and scope I am very pleased. Now I just need to find some ground squirrels that want to play tag.

me109g4
09-10-2012, 4:24 PM

Concur,, mine hates the Remington bulk pack stuff, it becomes a jamo-matic. It loves the Federal 550, and accuracy is very good to excellent.