PDA

View Full Version : How to store an HD shotgun with children in the house?

Piratelife76
08-25-2012, 5:47 PM
Good evening everyone,

I bought a HD shotgun a while back for home defense... and the occasional zombie uprising, a Mossberg 590a1 9 shot to be exact and I love it! Problem is it has been living a very sad life in the garage since I got it, I just cant figure out the safest way to keep it in the house and not have it so locked up that I could never realistically use it in an emergency. If it helps, my children are 3 and 6. I would appreciate any suggestions on what has worked for any of you in the past.

Thank you in advance for any help

NoNOS67
08-25-2012, 5:49 PM
In a safe? When I used to live with roommates, I kept my safe one turn away from the unlock combo whenever I was home. Allowed for quick access and kept them relatively secure.

RileyBean
08-25-2012, 5:51 PM
For my handguns I use a Vline push button. For rifles I use hard cases with combo locks.

tommyboy619
08-25-2012, 6:10 PM
Mossberg Loc-Box in the closet. Keep the key on your keychain, unlock before bed, lock it back up when you grab your keys to go to work. Or the more expensive ShotLock, which is very similar but doesn't use a key (push button combo.)

Mossberg Loc-Box (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-Lock-Box-Gun-Lock-95092-/200767067919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebea6570f#ht_500wt_1054)

ShotLock (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11609953)

Rampage.Maupin
08-25-2012, 6:17 PM
When I had my HD shotgun, I would pull it out of the closet every night and lock it back up every morning. Just don't get complacent and forget to put it away. Get in a routine. If something happens and you have time to react rack it and take care of business :cool:.

Tripper
08-25-2012, 6:19 PM
Make sure the lockbox will fit your model
I know a guy that worked with a guy that had a cousin whose girlfriends dads buddy bought one and it didn't fit the action
I think he had a side saddle, my message to him hasn't made it back yet

Actually, I think when I checked for my 590a1 there was some reason it would not fit, also I think the website says wont fit with a side saddle, they very well could have changed by now though, it was what I had found to be the best option

ysr_racer
08-25-2012, 6:21 PM
Has anyone on this forum every actually used their hd shotgun for hd?

If you've got kids, lock it up.

NoNOS67
08-25-2012, 6:21 PM
When I had my HD shotgun, I would pull it out of the closet every night and lock it back up every morning. Just don't get complacent and forget to put it away. Get in a routine. If something happens and you have time to react rack it and take care of business :cool:.

Good point! I throw my car keys in the safe when the guns come out. Makes it tough to leave the house without securing everything!

Rampage.Maupin
08-25-2012, 6:32 PM
Good point! I throw my car keys in the safe when the guns come out. Makes it tough to leave the house without securing everything!

That sounds like a pretty good system. As a side note something that was suggested to me on here, when I had the exact same question, was to introduce your kids to firearms early and often. Let them look at, touch and hold the guns in a safe setting, where they can ask questions. This has worked very well for my almost 4 year old son and it has taken alot of the mystery away. Good luck to you.

CSACANNONEER
08-25-2012, 6:43 PM

The closest I've come was when 3 unknown pits wandered into my yard. I live in a very rural area where shooting is not prohibited. I also would have had time to unlock and load it if I stored it locked up. Or, I had the option of not confrtonting them at all. Last month, when I saw a mountain lion from my kitchen window, I opted not to go outside that evening. However, if I had, I would have taken a shotgun with me. Again, I would have had plenty of time to unlock/load it.

DinoPJR
08-25-2012, 6:48 PM
I dont have kids so I just keep my shotgun right next to my bed. But I guess having kids would change that.

Piratelife76
08-25-2012, 6:49 PM
Good God you are all fast, thanks for all the great advice. I like the car key idea. I would have to work on the whole "introducing to guns" part. My kids are two dipped in pink, ballerina, self proclaimed princesses and rulers of all in the house, within reach... they almost had to go to therapy after Bambi, pretty funny though!

DinoPJR
08-25-2012, 6:53 PM
Turners has Champion safes and you can get them at a good price when they go on sale. They've got I think a 12 gun safe for 550. I've got one ( wish I got the bigger one) It is a good investment if you dont have a safe already.

NoNOS67
08-25-2012, 6:54 PM

Yup, sure have!

frankm
08-25-2012, 6:54 PM
I use one of these when it's not in the safe, and I'm milling about the house or running to the store with the teens home.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41258

Flowmini98
08-25-2012, 8:33 PM
I was just turned onto the SHOTLOCK. You can pick them up on costco.com for a decent price

ASTMedic
08-25-2012, 8:50 PM
What is your price range?

http://www.sentrysafe.com/HDC/Home_Defense_Center

I came across this the other day at Walmart here in town. I've been looking for a slightly larger safe or I would have jumped on it.

scglock
08-25-2012, 8:53 PM
If you have kids, definitely get a trigger lock of some sort or keep it in a safe

tankerman
08-25-2012, 9:20 PM
Locked up when we're not home.

Next to the bed at night.

On top of refrigerator when we're home during the day.

bsg
08-25-2012, 9:32 PM
I was just turned onto the SHOTLOCK. You can pick them up on costco.com for a decent price

prior to purchasing the ShotLock, check the "SHOTLOCK" website (FAQ) to find what the product can and cannot do; there are various shotguns and aftermarket accessories that the ShotLock is not compatible with.

www.shotlock.com/

madland
08-26-2012, 1:28 AM
Amsec(American Security) makes a pretty cool safe that lays flat underneath your bed and features an illuminated combo lock keypad. Comes with hardware to anchor to floor if you choose to. Door opens and tray slides out. I keep mine in a locked Pelican case for now. My .02

NastyNate
08-26-2012, 1:36 AM
This is what I use here:

http://lockinggunracks.com/3-shotgun-rifle-rack/

I also have his pistol rack.

jeffrice6
08-26-2012, 2:29 AM
Scatter gun by the bed & keep the bedroom door locked to keep the little ones out!

64physhy
08-26-2012, 9:01 AM
This is what I use here:

http://lockinggunracks.com/3-shotgun-rifle-rack/

I also have his pistol rack.

That reminds me of the bootcamp rifle racks, if it just had a cable instead of a bar.

brassburnz
08-26-2012, 9:13 AM
Shotgun is in the closet. Closet door has a deadbolt on it. Shotgun has a Pro-Lok Trigger lock. Lock can be attached to trigger guard and locked with a key or left unlocked. Removing the lock requires manual manipulation of the lock, in other words if you don't know the trick, it won't come off, with or without the key.

If you're familiar with this type of lock, you can take it off if left in the unlocked mode, but a young kid probably doesn't have the finger strength to do it.

blazeaglory
08-26-2012, 11:27 AM

This^^^But the point of having an HD gun is you never know when you MIGHT need it.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Most of my weapons are in bolted down safes elsewhere in the house. However my HD 870 is in a stack on metal lock box next to the bed at night with the key in the lock. The lock box is screwed into the wall studs. Not theft proof, but definitely a hassle. If I'm not in the room, the box is locked and the key is in my pocket.

P.S. The SG has a full tube + 6 in the side saddle. Empty chamber. IMO the best way to store it.

intensefab
08-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Kids in house = locked up and out of sight

H2H
08-26-2012, 12:42 PM
get a safe. keep it loaded in the safe .It only takes 10 sec to open the safe with the combo. peace of mind especially with kids.

check costo.com, they always run specials on safes ( includes delivery as well.)

ThortheDog
08-26-2012, 3:06 PM
Good God you are all fast, thanks for all the great advice. I like the car key idea. I would have to work on the whole "introducing to guns" part. My kids are two dipped in pink, ballerina, self proclaimed princesses and rulers of all in the house, within reach... they almost had to go to therapy after Bambi, pretty funny though!

You might look into the NRA's Eddie Eagle program for educating the kids if you haven't already done so.

23 Blast
08-26-2012, 3:22 PM
As a side note something that was suggested to me on here, when I had the exact same question, was to introduce your kids to firearms early and often. Let them look at, touch and hold the guns in a safe setting, where they can ask questions. This has worked very well for my almost 4 year old son and it has taken alot of the mystery away. Good luck to you.

Absolutely this. If anyone wants a suggestion for a "manual" for this sort of thing - check out Massad Ayoob's "Gun-Proofing Your Children." I bought that book when my wife was pregnant with our first child, to help calm her fears about my guns and our little ones coexisting in the same household. All I can say is that it works well.

When my oldest was 3, I tested him by leaving my (unloaded) Makarov on the hallway floor where he was bound to come across it. My wife and I sort of hid from view to see what his reaction would be. Sure enough, he's walking by and sees the gun on the floor. Stands there perfectly still looking at the gun. Seconds pass as you can see the gears turning in his 3-year old head ("Now, I KNOW there was something I'm supposed to do in this situation!") He then, without so much as reaching for the gun, starts yelling out and running to find us - "DADDY!!! There's a gun in the HOUSE!!!" :rofl:

As far as HD shotguns - hmm, hadn't thought of that as my HD is a handgun in a quick release safe, and a slobbering 80-pound bulldog.

CK_32
08-26-2012, 4:20 PM
I keep the trigger lock most 870s come with and the key near my bed with the 870 tucked in the corner by my bed. I know they can be taken appart easily but my young cousins won't know how to do any of that.. I feel it's great enough to keep they from touching the trigger controls and they know not to touch an of my firearms.

Now I have a full 24 gun safe I keep everything in there unloaded.. I now have a ruger gp100 in 357 and am debating to keep that in my dresser to get me to the gun safe in the back room or keep the 870 out of the safe loaded or just keep the little Louisville slugger I have under the bed to be enough to get me to the gun safe..

But before the safe I had the glock in the dresser AR hanging in the closet (both unloaded) and the 870 loaded and rest with trigger lock in the corner. To grab the 870 for the house hand off the glock to my girl friend.. Or take the glock if I may have to move out side give the 870 to my girlfriend to defend the home if I go down.. Or the AR for SHTF/Katrina type sh**..

Always have a full thight out plan for every situation. But to answer the question 870 loaded in the corner with trigger lock.. Key close by is perfect for my home..

But now I have to set in a new defense plan because I have a new layout and options to take into account.

97F1504RAD
08-26-2012, 4:33 PM
Like a few others have already suggested

http://www.shotlock.com/Details.asp

Bunsen
08-26-2012, 4:40 PM

I have never left them out before but this sounds like a good idea either way!

Spaofjello
08-26-2012, 6:14 PM
Amsec(American Security) makes a pretty cool safe that lays flat underneath your bed and features an illuminated combo lock keypad. Comes with hardware to anchor to floor if you choose to. Door opens and tray slides out. I keep mine in a locked Pelican case for now. My .02

I have one (Amsec Defense Vault), and I love it. Holds HD Shotgun, 3 pistols, and some ammo. Even the wife feels better knowing it's there, easily accessible, and child proof for the most part. Like the others suggested I also exposed the kids to the guns, as was done to me when I was their age. So far so good.

Lugiahua
08-26-2012, 6:17 PM
I use a large gun safe, weapon loaded but not chambered.
I unlock when home to have quick access.

cgates
08-26-2012, 6:58 PM
santa cruz gun locks makes a nice wall mounted lock that can be attached to a powered switch. Hide the switch somewhere if you want the fastest access. Also has a key for manual over ride.
have to have a battery or some sort of 12V system with a battery backup, but it beats anything you need a key or combo for.

Socalman
08-27-2012, 8:05 AM
I used to keep my Mossberg 590 loaded with #1 buck inside of my closet door, about 2 steps from my bed. All that was necessary was to grab it and rack and it would be ready to go. When my son's family moved in I became a bit more cautious as the granddaughter got older. It is no longer left loaded (I doubt a 4 year old could rack the round) but an open box of shot shell is easily within reach. I could have that bad boy ready to action in about 30 seconds.

drunktank
08-27-2012, 9:12 AM
I have a 3 & 6 year old as well. I alternate HD weapons for various reasons, but when a shotgun is out, I keep it next to me when I go to bed. Back in a safe first thing in the morning. This is where storing your car keys in the safe is a great reminder to lock up your gun if you're worried about kids. I keep all my guns unloaded but ammo is always adjacent and ready. Flashlights are with every weapon. Most importantly, I have other preventive measures like locks, thorn bushes under every window, alarms systems, guard dogs, and hard wood floors that echo everything. It's very hard to sneak in my place unless you are Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, or Chuck Norris. It helps cancel the fact of "having" to keep one locked and loaded when kids are an issue.

I've had to grab it once, recently. An Edison worker lost his marbles eary in the morning and was trying to kick down my door. I was there to confront him in about 10 seconds from sleep to looking down the barrel. Did I mention it really helps to have other preventive measures in the house? :) he never made it past my main door.

Anyway, depending on your room and house they sell a rack where you can place your shotgun on and there's a padlock on one of the hooks. Its handy because you can keep it out of a small child's reach. I'd post you a link but I'm bitter as I was working on my own similar design and found out this guys beat me to it!

Obviously, kids can get into just about everything. Every single day, I have a talk with them regarding firearms and weapons. I'll be buyin my daughter her first rifle soon to squash the curiosity factor. She's a self proclaimed princess that knows all (similar to yours by the sound of it). Even if kids don't enjoy shooting sports, it is good for them to see how much damage and destruction they can do.

I'm going to tape a picture of someone she likes onto a pumpkin and have her shoot it. The damage will help her visualize that guns aren't toys. Maybe I should fill it with fake blood and tannerite though now that I think of it. Good luck

ouch1
08-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Yep. In a free state too boot. That guy pissed his pants when he turned the corner and came face to muzzle with my 870.

-ouch1

Montu
08-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't own one..but when I pick up a shotgun I was thinking of the shot lock

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/shotlock-shotgun-lock.jpg
no keys to fumble with

dlquinn71
08-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Shot lock is what I plan on getting

M27
08-27-2012, 9:07 PM

not with a shotgun as I don't use a shotty for HD but I have pulled a pistol twice in the last 6 months.

My dogs went off looked out a window and someone was trying to steal the mail from the mailbox that my whole street uses. They were trying to pry open the lock on the back of it, I pressed the alarm button on the security system and went outside I came out of my house the same time another neighbor did. The neighbor walked around the far side of the car and locked the persons keys inside the vehicle we stayed outside until the police arrived.

second incident again dogs went off I checked cameras (I did the first time too but nothing was in view that time) I saw someone around my truck and I had a clear picture there vehicle as well. Once again, pressed alarm, and went outside this time he was really emotional and not in a clear state of mind so when he wanted back in his car I let did not try to convince him other wise, and ran inside and locked the door. The police arrived minuets later, we looked at the camera feed got the plates and I received a call around 10AM the next morning that he was arrested with all sorts of stolen goods.

no shots fired either time, the way I prefer it.

also I don't live in a bad neighborhood at all but it is rather a nice neighborhood a few miles away from a rougher neighborhood.

ouch1
08-28-2012, 10:55 AM
also I don't live in a bad neighborhood at all but it is rather a nice neighborhood a few miles away from a rougher neighborhood.

And there is the reason why. The thieves go to better neighborhoods to steal stuff, and then sell the stuff to a fence in the rough neighborhood. The closer the better for them.

People around where I live are constantly whining about break ins. They say "I moved to Cupertino to get away from the crime in San Jose." I look at them and then point out that Cupertino is surrounded on 2 sides by San Jose. And then ask them where they think the Criminals are going to go for places to break into since Cupertino does not have a police department (they contract with the Sheriff's department for law enforcement). Ugh.

-ouch1

Chaozu
08-28-2012, 6:48 PM
Crime in San Jose? No way...:13:

c-mo
08-29-2012, 3:20 PM
Yep. In a free state too boot. That guy pissed his pants when he turned the corner and came face to muzzle with my 870.

-ouch1

So what happened after he pissed himself ?
A. You smoked him
B. told him to lay down , hands behind back
C. He turned and ran out

ouch1
08-29-2012, 3:46 PM
Crime in San Jose? No way...:13:
30+ murders already this year. Ugh.

So what happened after he pissed himself ?
A. You smoked him
B. told him to lay down , hands behind back
C. He turned and ran out
Option B sort of. It happened in rural Michigan about 2 hours north of Detroit. And I was less then 48 hours out of Marine Corps boot camp.

I just remember waking up to the noise of the back door closing (very distinctive in that house). So I grabbed my 870 out of my safe and loaded it with 00Buck. I then opened the door to my bedroom and went to check things out. When I got to where the hallway from the bedrooms opened up in the small hallway between the kitchen and living room is where I found him. When I saw him all I did was rack the slide to load a round and then I told the idiot to freeze and kneel down, legs crossed, and fingers laced behind the head. Then I said hi to my dad who has snuck up behind him with a 1911 aimed at the idiots head. Lol. My dad covered him while I duct taped his hands behind his back and ankles together (basically hog tied him). Then my dad called the cops. Once the cops were on the way my dad told me to go unload and secure the shotgun back in my closet safe. Which I did (he was a Sgt Major in the Army so I kind of listen to him).

-ouch1

LAKings22
08-29-2012, 4:00 PM
Get a safe in your room. Incase you need to use it for HD, it's faster to get it out of the safe in your room then to run to the garage to grab it. You might even want to consider the under bed safes

ASTMedic
08-29-2012, 4:13 PM
not with a shotgun as I don't use a shotty for HD but I have pulled a pistol twice in the last 6 months.

My dogs went off looked out a window and someone was trying to steal the mail from the mailbox that my whole street uses. They were trying to pry open the lock on the back of it, I pressed the alarm button on the security system and went outside I came out of my house the same time another neighbor did. The neighbor walked around the far side of the car and locked the persons keys inside the vehicle we stayed outside until the police arrived.

second incident again dogs went off I checked cameras (I did the first time too but nothing was in view that time) I saw someone around my truck and I had a clear picture there vehicle as well. Once again, pressed alarm, and went outside this time he was really emotional and not in a clear state of mind so when he wanted back in his car I let did not try to convince him other wise, and ran inside and locked the door. The police arrived minuets later, we looked at the camera feed got the plates and I received a call around 10AM the next morning that he was arrested with all sorts of stolen goods.

no shots fired either time, the way I prefer it.

So you took a pistol outside to confront a subject or have your CCW?

five.five-six
08-29-2012, 4:17 PM
get a safe. keep it loaded in the safe .It only takes 10 sec to open the safe with the combo. peace of mind especially with kids.

check costo.com, they always run specials on safes ( includes delivery as well.)

Have you ever tried to open a safe in the middle of the night when you are asleep scared? Try it, it sucks :(

ROCKETW19
08-29-2012, 4:35 PM
santa cruz gun locks makes a nice wall mounted lock that can be attached to a powered switch. Hide the switch somewhere if you want the fastest access. Also has a key for manual over ride.
have to have a battery or some sort of 12V system with a battery backup, but it beats anything you need a key or combo for.

http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/setups/completehome.html

is that it? all I could find but no mention of electric. if that was electric I would really like that in the corner of my bed room switch hidden behind head board or something

dc2integra
08-29-2012, 4:51 PM
Locked up no matter what with kids in the house .