PDA

View Full Version : SR22 Slide damage. Is this normal?

canyon289
08-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Relatively new to guns so I wanted to ask here, is slide damage on an SR22 cause for concern? Attached are some pictures of the wear. Should I send this back to Ruger or is this standard wear and tear for this firearm?

Thanks in advance!

db42
08-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Several people have reported similar damage.
Ruger seems to be aware of the problem, but it apparently isn't widespread enough to warrant a recall.

You need to call Ruger about the damage. They will likely have you send the slide to them - and it will most likely be replaced with a new slide equipped with a "Part #50 Dowel Pin for Slide Stop" - which yours is not.

This will solve the problem.

Mojave Desert
08-25-2012, 12:27 AM
At what round count did you notice this?

canyon289
08-25-2012, 8:17 AM
I noticed it around 500 rounds, what annoys me more than the damage though is all the aluminum shavings under the slide.

Paperchasin
08-25-2012, 8:44 AM
Any idea what might have caused this? I put 500+ rounds of CCI Minimags thru mine last week, no problems. Did you buy one of the early batches of the SR22s?

Dannicus
08-25-2012, 9:19 AM
It's unfortunate, but common for a new firearm to have little things to fix here and there out of the box. Happens less with pricier guns. Some owners go over their guns first thing and fix them. Other owners just shoot them and have the manufacturer fix them when things get ugly. Saves time to be proactive and inclined to use a file and some fine wet-or-dry.

Izzy43
08-25-2012, 9:57 AM
I just inspected mine and there is no damage to the slide or metal shavings anywhere. I have around 1500 rounds thru mine. Also in the area where your damage is, there is a small vertical pin in my slide, steel I think.

I think you probably have one of the first production runs. I would contact Ruger, they'll make it right. As others have noted, this has happened to other SR22s.

Izzy43
08-25-2012, 9:59 AM
I noticed it around 500 rounds, what annoys me more than the damage though is all the aluminum shavings under the slide.

Those metal shavings are probably coming from that damaged area. I am showing no wear whatsoever on my slide and no shavings.

Dannicus
08-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I just inspected mine and there is no damage to the slide or metal shavings anywhere. I have around 1500 rounds thru mine. Also in the area where your damage is, there is a small vertical pin in my slide, steel I think.

I think you probably have one of the first production runs. I would contact Ruger, they'll make it right. As others have noted, this has happened to other SR22s.

Op's gun still has that pin in there. The damage is most likely from a burr or raised sharp edge on the slide catch.

Canyon, can you post a pic of the top of the slide catch?

Izzy43
08-25-2012, 1:31 PM
Op's gun still has that pin in there. The damage is most likely from a burr or raised sharp edge on the slide catch.

Canyon, can you post a pic of the top of the slide catch?

Good eye, I just looked at the second pic on the original post and sure enough that pin is there. I think you nailed it, probably a burr somewhere that's causing that damage. Sucks to have that happen to a new firearm.

Jonb.
08-25-2012, 1:41 PM
It's unfortunate, but common for a new firearm to have little things to fix here and there out of the box. Happens less with pricier guns. Some owners go over their guns first thing and fix them. Other owners just shoot them and have the manufacturer fix them when things get ugly. Saves time to be proactive and inclined to use a file and some fine wet-or-dry.

Unfortunately common for Ruger lately!

gunprofit
08-27-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm one of those rare guys who does not like the SR22. I think it is a cheaply made gun. A fellow is much better off buying Ruger's Mk lll. Now that's a well built gun that will last forever.