PDA

View Full Version : STAR Model BM 9MM Issue

Bangzoom
08-24-2012, 8:44 PM
Today at the range with 2 types of ammo...round nose and flat nose

the slide would stay almost all the way back after a shot and i would have to pull it back a bit and let it snap back and then it would feed...it did this 80% of the time...it was clean and lubed before shooting...the mag spring feels strong but maybe it needs to be stronger? could it be the slide spring? any known issues with this model that would cause this?

JeremyS
08-24-2012, 9:46 PM
Recoil spring might be binding. Possible that the magazine doesn't fit right and it's getting caught on the lip of it or something. OR... it's causing the slide lock to engage. Is the slide actually locking back on the slide lock or just sticking in a random spot? Anyway... If you can't figure out what's causing the slide to stick back like that, a gunsmith will probably have to.

mille806
08-24-2012, 9:49 PM
Star parts are hard to find I know where you can get a new spring pm me if you want one

Bangzoom
08-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Recoil spring might be binding. Possible that the magazine doesn't fit right and it's getting caught on the lip of it or something. OR... it's causing the slide lock to engage. Is the slide actually locking back on the slide lock or just sticking in a random spot? Anyway... If you can't figure out what's causing the slide to stick back like that, a gunsmith will probably have to.

I am almost sure it was not the slide lock...i remember looking into the chamber while it was stuck an it seems the slide was stopping on the back of the cartridge. but the cartridge wasnt angled up yet...then like i said a quick pull and snap and all was good for the next shot

i think if the cartridge was angled up a bit more leaving the mag it would be ok...or if the ramp going to the chamber was better? I dunno...i got this thing yrs ago and for the life of me I cant rember if i ever shot it before today...if i had i would have remembered this problem

im not ruling out a stronger slide spring too

morrcarr67
08-25-2012, 6:22 AM
If you need parts for your Star talk to Jorge; he bought all of Star's parts when they went out of business. He is in Spain and it does take a little bit of time for the parts to be delivered. But, do not worry. Jorge has a great reputation and you will be happy with his service.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?40589-WTS-STAR-Parts-Grips-Magazines........&highlight=star+parts

You also might want to tell him what your gun is doing; he may have seen this before and will know what the problem is.

Good luck.

Beelzy
08-25-2012, 6:58 AM
Those little guns like hot ammo.....Try some Fiocchi fodder in it first before buying any parts. ;)

Bangzoom
08-25-2012, 8:26 AM
Those little guns like hot ammo.....Try some Fiocchi fodder in it first before buying any parts. ;)

that would be consistant with the symptoms...like maybe the slide was not being knocked all the way back for a good running start to push the next round in

i really have no idea how old the ammo was that i was using either...but it was enough for my other 9 i brought...that was a taurus millinneum ...wow no spell checker on that!!! LOL

SilverTauron
08-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Older model European 9mms were made and tested on Euro spec Parabellum cartridges,which are loaded as standard to what we in the US consider +p pressure.Run some +P JHP rounds through it and see what happens.

Bangzoom
08-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Older model European 9mms were made and tested on Euro spec Parabellum cartridges,which are loaded as standard to what we in the US consider +p pressure.Run some +P JHP rounds through it and see what happens.

I just polished up the feed ramp...looks like it needed it

next time i take her out i will take an assortment of ammo...hope its not too long before i go shooting again

PEZHEAD265
08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Those old mil surpluss pistols don't like JHP it will be a jam a-matic.Get some hot 115 or 124 fmj ammo and try them.Fiocchi or S&B should work well.Also check the feed lips on the mag they may be tight.

brassburnz
08-26-2012, 12:53 PM
My Star Model B runs just fine on Blazer Brass 115 grain. Nice little gun, but I can't get used to the pivoting trigger. If I'm not careful, the pad of my trigger finger gets pinched by the trigger as it pivots.

Furncliff
08-26-2012, 2:14 PM
My Star b ( basically the same pistol) has been a fun range toy, but I have never been able to get all the kinks worked out to make it "reliable". Hotter ammo is a good suggestion and if you can find it you might try the Czech ammo S&B. After that I would try new magazine springs. These old shooters have been around a long time, mine is a 1943.

Bangzoom
08-26-2012, 5:32 PM
took her to the firing line after polishing the ramp and still no go....on the way home i stopped by a guy that works at a gun smith shop and he said i shoulld check the follower...well i took it out and put it back and noticed i the spring wasnt in the right place on the follower and corrected it...now im thinking maybe the guy that had it before me did the same thing...well....sigh...i wont know if its better till i can go fire it again

Somebody at the range suggested i may be "limp-wristing" Nope

and the hotter ammo i had is not allowed at the firing line because it was Hollow point

I may have my reloading friend make me up a batch

Bangzoom
11-15-2012, 7:17 AM
I may have figured it out...MAY..I wont know till i fire it

Last time out after some polishing and checking the mag it was still messing up....with the help of someone at the range with trying different thing with the mag spring and follower nothing was working

Then i get home and used my Google-fu...It seems i may have gotten the WRONG mag when i bought the gun..The mag i got seems to be from a model B and not a BM...it turns out some people are using the B mag in a BM without probs which could explain not having a prob in the past...so I ordered a BM mag (OEM) 40 bucks!!...Have yet to try it but I can see an improvement in cartridge placement..If this dont fix it...ugh