PDA

View Full Version : CCI Quiet ammo

dangerranger
08-24-2012, 8:25 PM
I got one box today and it looks like a keeper! When they came out I tried Colibrae and Super Colibrae ammo but accuracy was so bad I didn't even try them as a ground squirrel ammo. So far Ive fired two 5 shot groups, one at 15 yds and another at 30yds. With open sights both were under 1/2". Tomorrow it will be ground squirrels at 30 paces! DR

phrogg111
08-25-2012, 4:56 AM
Nice.

I picked up some Remington CBees (that's what they called them) - as well as some CCI .22 shorts - and was consistently hitting a barbeque sized propane tank from 135 yards away that someone left on public land for me.

Drop at 135 yards with a 750fps projectile was about 3 feet - just under the part where my 4x scope's reticle got bigger.

Donkeypunch0420
08-26-2012, 4:37 AM
How is the noise level? Comparable to the Super Colibri? I just bought some Super Colibri.....haven't tried it yet, but I like the idea of quiet ammo to play with.

dominic
08-26-2012, 4:59 AM
We are always looking for low noise subsonics for shooting rodents and pests around the cattle pens to keep from spooking the dumb animals. We tried CCI Quiets, and they feed better than CB longs through the rotary magazine in our 10-22, (still won't cycle though) but the larger grain bullet causes more richocet. The noise level is about the same as Cbs. They are about the same for accuracy as CBs too, maybe they group slightly better, not much better really, but I did notice there were fewer 'flyers' with the CCI Quiet ammo. They have a little bit more energy and seem to penetrate slightly better than the CBs. I've had CB longs bounce off the skull of raccoons before. I hav'nt had the chance to shoot one with the 'Quiets' yet, but they do have a lot more "zing" than the CBs so I'm guessing they may be better for pest control.

Sanderhawk
08-26-2012, 6:48 AM
I have been looking for something like this. The name of these are CCI Quiets?

model63
08-26-2012, 7:57 AM
I have been looking for something like this. The name of these are CCI Quiets?

Yes. They do group well, but they are still too loud for any semi-urban backyard use. Took some out a few weeks ago before my deer hunting trip and shot some from a colt single action and they are bearable without ears on but it wouldn't take more than a few shots before neighbors figured out what was going on...IMO...still though fun is to be had with them.

Paperchasin
08-26-2012, 7:59 AM
Saw these at Walmart last night. They costed $1 more than Minimags and they come in packages of only 50 rounds. For those of you that actually need to shoot your .22s without hearing, I'd give them a try. These are definitely not designed for plinking.

Xtracrispy
08-26-2012, 8:10 AM
I'll have to give those a shot if I see them. I have tried CCI Subsonics, Remington Subsonics, CCI Shorts, and CCI HP shorts.

My Dad and I are always looking for new bullets to try for ground squirrels and gophers.

dangerranger
08-26-2012, 9:57 AM
How is the noise level? Comparable to the Super Colibri? I just bought some Super Colibri.....haven't tried it yet, but I like the idea of quiet ammo to play with.

The drop at 50yds from the colibri was near 6"! And they only shot patterns for me but the CCI quiets grouped nicely and are quieter than a spring air gun by quite a bit. I can safely shoot where I live but I have neibors that are Federal Bird Bioligists, and every time they hear shots they come over to see what Im doing. I dont think they will recognise this sound as even being a gunshot! DR

bohoki
08-26-2012, 10:38 AM
i used to buy cci cb and cb long (i liked the cb long) but when colibri came out i bought a case and still have a couple bricks

i just cant bring myself to pay cci prices for pelletgun power

GrapesOfWrath
08-27-2012, 2:09 PM
I shoot Colibri, Super colibri, CCI Quiet-22s and CBs - I like the Quiet-22s the best. Shot out of a bolt or a henry lever. <50 Yds I get grouping like a standard load (well almost) - 17" drop at 100 yd which is a bit more than 2x standard load (from CCI specs)

Colibri and Super colibri are low grain bullets and seem to tumble all over the place. but worth it at <25 yds and dead quiet.

Quiets are 40 grains at 710 fps per spec that is 45 ft lbs at the muzzle. which is a bit more than all but the largest hunting caliber air rifles, but well under half a standard load. Go to http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/products.aspx and select a bunch of the low noise loads to compare the ballistics.