PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 problem need some advice

LAKings22
08-24-2012, 5:01 PM
Last round not feeding. Every now and then I take my glock chamber it, remove mag, and clear the chamber. I do this until all 10 rounds are cleared. I do this with both mag's then i load both mag's back and put it back in it's place. This time I had a problem (no the gun didn't go off) everytime it came to the last ammo, it wouldn't feed the chamber (both mag's). So I loaded both factory mag's with dummy rounds and no problems all rounds chambered and cleared. So I take a 3rd Non factory mag with live rounds and all rounds chamber and clear just fine. So what's the deal with both these factory mag's not feeding the last live round?

This is the last round, right after I rack the slide and release
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/Lakings22/9488FC81-95DD-4097-9B51-CEBC9AE94B0F-30834-0000255AB837DF5D.jpg

This is after I rack it back one more time so it let's me release the mag
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/Lakings22/4E77DB25-D2D4-4C77-BFCE-0C53A7D007E8-30834-0000255ABC4BB05D.jpg

stevie
08-24-2012, 5:16 PM
Does this happen when you fire the pistol or just manual cycle? Try shooting it, to see if problem really exists.

Not a good thing to manual cycle ammo through the pistol, just because.

1) safety issue, pistol may discharge if you do something silly.
2) puts undue stress on the ammo. bullet can become seated too deeply in the case. which may cause pressure issues.

beretta929mm
08-24-2012, 5:21 PM
The follower (with a specific number) causes the top round to sit low. This is a known issue with Glock 19 10 rd magazines. I remember reading it on Glocktalk.com.

tuna quesadilla
08-24-2012, 5:22 PM
Last round not feeding. Every now and then I take my glock chamber it, remove mag, and clear the chamber. I do this until all 10 rounds are cleared. I do this with both mag's then i load both mag's back and put it back in it's place. This time I had a problem (no the gun didn't go off) everytime it came to the last ammo, it wouldn't feed the chamber (both mag's). So I loaded both factory mag's with dummy rounds and no problems all rounds chambered and cleared. So I take a 3rd Non factory mag with live rounds and all rounds chamber and clear just fine. So what's the deal with both these factory mag's not feeding the last live round?

What... the... F...?

Why IN THE WORLD do you do that?

:confused:

LOW2000
08-24-2012, 5:23 PM
1) 10 round mags suck
2) Does it do this from slide lock, or just when you use your hand to rack the slide?

LOW2000
08-24-2012, 5:25 PM
What... the... F...?

So you can unnecessarily set back the bullets in ALL of your rounds, not just the top one. :shrug:

jkody
08-24-2012, 5:25 PM
It's a gun not a toy. If it fails to load the last round when shooting, could be a weak magazine spring. If your going to play with it, use snap caps.

daNkiest
08-24-2012, 5:27 PM
I never cycle live rounds in my home. Never!

beretta929mm
08-24-2012, 5:28 PM
To solve your problem, you can swap out the follower.

AeroEngi
08-24-2012, 5:29 PM
I would not repeatedly chamber live rounds at home. If it works fine at the range when you shoot it then I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

thach.lam98
08-24-2012, 5:38 PM
I have the same problem with only hollow points i changed followers and bought a new mag but keeps jamming on last round.

scglock
08-24-2012, 5:40 PM
If you do this often I would advise not to shoot the bullets you're doing this with because iirc bullet setback can occur after chambering 3 times.

Change the magazine follower and you should be fine.

Also stop doing what you're doing... There's no point and it's a negligent discharge waiting to happen.

If you want to keep your gun loaded, chamber a round and leave it. Rotate the round you chambered to the bottom of the magazine when you unload and chamber a new one.

Dannicus
08-24-2012, 5:55 PM
What the op is doing is unnecessary and possibly dangerous, but I don't see the problem with clambering a round at home. Where else are you going to do it?

gmcal
08-24-2012, 6:04 PM
Check the magazine lips and around the top of the magazine. Look for any cracks or separation. Get a new factory Glock magazine and compare the lips, specifically the metal parts and see if the wider than the new mag. I had this happen on 1 of my magazines, a new follower and spring could not fix it.

AeroEngi
08-24-2012, 6:05 PM
What the op is doing is unnecessary and possibly dangerous, but I don't see the problem with clambering a round at home. Where else are you going to do it?

At the range? I understand what you're saying though. If you want to keep a round chambered for home defense then fine, chamber the round and leave it. What the OP is describing could potentially be very dangerous. He should be doing his function tests with dummy rounds or snap caps.

glockman19
08-24-2012, 6:21 PM
What... the... F...?

+1...

Don't cycle rounds like that. It is unnecessary and can be dangerous.

CK_32
08-24-2012, 6:50 PM
Always the major problems in this order..

Magazines try different mags (preferably new)
Not the mag check and see what the bullets doing try to see what's making it do that.
Check the ammo make sure it's the right depth/disformaties
Make sure the guns clean
Check for spots on the chamber for a possible polish

And this is common with 10 round mags to be the problem of a lot of things.. Even reputable 10 round may companies.. Again probably trying a NEW mag or someone with a high cap see if it works

!@#$
08-24-2012, 6:58 PM
The follower (with a specific number) causes the top round to sit low. This is a known issue with Glock 19 10 rd magazines. I remember reading it on Glocktalk.com.

2183-1 follower. standard follower in the 10rd 9mm mags. just look at it next to any other handgun magazine follower. it's easy to see why the last round nose dives.

also don't rechamber your SD rounds. really you shouldn't even rechamber your range ammo. bullet setback is not a good thing.

LAKings22
08-24-2012, 7:47 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. No one has ever told me it will mess up the ammo after chambering the rounds. I will probably end up shooting it at the range and see if it jams on the last round. This is the first time this has happened, I have shot 400 round through it before with no problems. I only do this when I get a new gun, it gets me more comfortable handling the gun @ home. Its always done with no one around and pointed in a safe direction just incase there is a discharge. I know that's what the range is for and now that you guys have advised me why NOT to do it, I will never chamber the remaining 9 rounds in my HD mag's.

LAKings22
08-24-2012, 7:55 PM
I'm going to try to make it out to the range this weekend and I'll post an update. If I can't do it this weekend then I will be out @ the range in Burbank Friday night For the LA c3 monthly shoot, Here's your chance to point and say thats the idiot that chambers all his rounds 1 by 1 at home.

far from tactical
08-24-2012, 9:34 PM

+1..

clutchy
08-24-2012, 9:56 PM
So you can unnecessarily set back the bullets in ALL of your rounds, not just the top one. :shrug:

lots of people don't know about this.

I only recently found out about this one... I've been shooting for a long time.

LOW2000
08-24-2012, 10:04 PM
lots of people don't know about this.

I only recently found out about this one... I've been shooting for a long time.

Yeah, and it can present some pretty significant safety concerns if it creates enough pressure.

w6PAmKLUcbc

Whatisthis?
08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. No one has ever told me it will mess up the ammo after chambering the rounds. I will probably end up shooting it at the range and see if it jams on the last round. This is the first time this has happened, I have shot 400 round through it before with no problems. I only do this when I get a new gun, it gets me more comfortable handling the gun @ home. Its always done with no one around and pointed in a safe direction just incase there is a discharge. I know that's what the range is for and now that you guys have advised me why NOT to do it, I will never chamber the remaining 9 rounds in my HD mag's.

Use snap caps bro, not live ammunition. It is good you are at least doing it in a safe direction with no one around, but you're waiting for bad **** to happen because the only REAL safe direction when playing with live ammo is down range.

Ultimately you will do what you want, but the info about bullet setback in previous posts is 100% correct. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the amount of pressure on the case should be inversely proportional to the space it has. The bullet goes deeper into the casing from multiple chamberings, the powder has less space in there, and the primer sets the powder off in a much more confined area leading to higher pressures for the casing.

Sbasham
08-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Is your feed ramp clean? I know if i dont clean mine after 150+ rounds its dirty and the feed ramp is really rough.

Dhena81
08-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Hopefully you didn't mess with your trigger :iggy2:

EJkSQgz7828

HighLander51
08-25-2012, 5:12 AM
You can't slow cycle a Glock, it doesn't mean anything. If it runs by itself, and locks open on the last round, it's fine.

Shenaniguns
08-25-2012, 6:28 AM
If you do this often I would advise not to shoot the bullets you're doing this with because iirc bullet setback can occur after chambering 3 times.

Change the magazine follower and you should be fine.

Also stop doing what you're doing... There's no point and it's a negligent discharge waiting to happen.

If you want to keep your gun loaded, chamber a round and leave it. Rotate the round you chambered to the bottom of the magazine when you unload and chamber a new one.

It's a bad idea to do it in general which I agree with but there's no set # at which a certain bullet in a certain gun will have setback. My buddy tested it with his G19, Ranger-T and a micrometer which he took before and after 20 times of chambering and found that it did not move at all. But that is his specific gun and specific ammo, YMMV.

Shenaniguns
08-25-2012, 6:31 AM

Some of us carry concealed and have no choice but to occasionally cycle a live round at home, just follow the 4 rules of handling firearms and you'll be fine.

drunktank
08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
As for chambering it at the range - if you go home, you'll be driving with a loaded weapon. Not legal in most cases. Just throwing that out there.

LAKings22
08-25-2012, 12:48 PM

EJkSQgz7828

Nothing touched on my trigger. That's crazy that it would do that so many times. I'm done with doing that with live ammo.

LAKings22
08-25-2012, 12:57 PM

EJkSQgz7828

As for chambering it at the range - if you go home, you'll be driving with a loaded weapon. Not legal in most cases. Just throwing that out there.

You kidding me, I've worked to hard to buy my guns. The last thing I'm gonna do is drive around with a chambered gun and knowing my luck get busted, pick up a felony and not be able to legally purchase another gun.

VictorFranko
08-25-2012, 12:58 PM
What... the... F...?

You read my mind!

Rattlehead
08-25-2012, 1:09 PM
Is your feed ramp clean? I know if i dont clean mine after 150+ rounds its dirty and the feed ramp is really rough.

Glock's should not need their feed ramps cleaned after only 150 rounds.

I've run at least five of my Glock's in excess of 5-7k without cleaning anything.

Rattlehead
08-25-2012, 1:12 PM

This is the last round, right after I rack the slide and release
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/Lakings22/9488FC81-95DD-4097-9B51-CEBC9AE94B0F-30834-0000255AB837DF5D.jpg

This is after I rack it back one more time so it let's me release the mag
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/Lakings22/4E77DB25-D2D4-4C77-BFCE-0C53A7D007E8-30834-0000255ABC4BB05D.jpg

You are most likely inducing bullet set back; do not re-chamber a SD round more than 1-2 times if you plan on using it.

I have had feeding issues with bullet setback by the front of the case hitting the chamber area, the gun would not feed the round since the bullet was pushed so far back in the case.

JTROKS
08-25-2012, 1:20 PM
I chamber ny hangun many times and never have bullet set back. Well it's a S&W 640.

;). Just kidding.

Please don't chamber your pistol in such manner. I don't like doing it when I hear weird noises late at night and the dog start running towards the noise barking like crazy.