PDA

View Full Version : Biometric gun safe that doubles as carry?

Inverted
08-24-2012, 3:59 PM
Is there a gun safe for a handgun or two that can also be used as a carrier? Perhaps a biometric one?

Wherryj
08-24-2012, 4:25 PM
I have a LockSaf that works pretty nicely, but I doubt that it is very useful for "carry" unless you are only moving it from one place to another.

http://www.locksaf.com/biometric-pistol-safes/

Inverted
08-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Ya I was hoping since I need to get something that I can carry to the range, and something to lock the gun up at the house that I could kill two birds with one stone, but maybe not.

Carbuncle
08-25-2012, 3:58 AM
I've been looking at a bunch of "portable" safes for my new handgun. I've noticed that they are either flimsy little things that wouldn't keep a 13 year old with a screwdriver out of them, or they weigh a good 25+ pounds empty and none of them have very much room in them.
So I just ended up buying a locking metal toolbox and some foam inserts for it, plenty of room for my 1858 new army, all it's cleaning and maintenance supplies, eye and ear protection, and three or four boxes of ammo. Granted it is huge as hell (20"x9"x10), but it was like a third of the price of even the cheapest of the portable safes, sturdier than the lightweight safes, and a lighter empty weight than sturdy ones. Granted it's just regular old padlocks.
I'll just get a smaller closet safe for home storage for when I can't bring it with me.
The toolbox was $25 at home depot(plus about another $20~ for a set of good, sturdy padlocks and the foam inserts), most smaller safes are about $100~ when on sale, while the more heavy weight portable safes are about $70-80+, so really, I won't be paying a whole lot more with the two container solution, plus even when my gun isn't in it, the toolbox is a nice, cool place to store my ammo and cleaning supplies.

Quiet
08-25-2012, 6:11 AM
Check out this thread, since it applies to firearm lockboxes, some of which use biometrics. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=611489)

solanoshooter
08-25-2012, 8:35 AM
GunVault has a couple that are small enough for what you want. I have a couple combination NanoVaults that I keep in my vehicles. The price on the combination and key locks are reasonable. Their biometric safes are pretty expensive but they do work pretty well.

GunVault.com

StefanJanowski
08-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Its probably a better idea to get a gun safe for your house that isnt as easy to remove. Just in case someone breaks into your house, it will be harder to remove a safe that is either 100+ lbs or a smaller one that is drilled into your floor.

Plus a range bag can hold your cleaning supplies and whatever else you need for the range. Versus a box where everything will slide around...

CK_32
08-26-2012, 11:41 AM
That's going to be some chincy a** safe and some bulky a** case.. Worst of both worlds IMO.. Buy a nice case and a proper safe