PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide my next trade: R1100 Tac 4, Mossberg 930 JM PRO or Benelli M1S90?

trigger hippie
08-24-2012, 1:45 PM
So after some scratching and posting and negotiating, I've narrowed down to three potential semi-auto shotgun choices. Perhaps the more experienced here can help me choose.

Choice one is trading for a R1100 Tac 4. Looks like this:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4435/p1000232h.jpg

It'll come with 3 choke tubes and a breaching tool. No bipod of course. It'll cost me about $700 in parts. I note no EZ-loader, I figure that'sj ust a $50 addition I could do myself and I'm good to go for 3-gun/practical shotgun. That's a Mesa stock and Choate bolt handle on there. This one's used, I'm not sure how many rounds down it, but I'd assume at worst moderately well used.

Choice two is a Mossberg 930 JM Pro, 8-shot tube 42" barrel. Looks like this:

http://3gunnation.com/assets/products/Mossberg_JM_Header.jpg

Basically pretty new, I'm told 10 rounds down the tube. Not sure of date of manufacture, but I'd assume since it's the JM model that this was built after the 930 SPX's early teething problems with canted front sights and stripped receiver screws. Looking at about $500 cash and $200 worth of gear in trade for it.

Finally there's the Benelli M1S90. I've been looking at used prices and I'm pretty confident I could find a basic ready-to-go setup at about $900, $850 or so if I'm willing to accept one without an extended mag tube.

http://www.gunandsport.com/images/shotguns/benelli_super.jpg

I'd much rather trade away my inventory rather than have to pay more cash, which is why offer for the 1100 Tac 4 is appealing to me - it gets me up and competing and I'll probably even make some money in the trade.

On the other hand, the 930 JM Pro is basically new and I'm getting a great deal on it by trading some of my gear.

Finally, the M1S90 is, of course, a Benelli, and pretty much the only way I can see to get a Benelli semi-auto action for less than a grand (though I suppose there's always that other brand that owns Benelli, I forget who it was).

Thoughts?

Sicarius
08-24-2012, 4:44 PM
I love benelli's so I am bias. Let me tell you that first off. I would say benelli BUT do NOT get one with rifle sights. They are worthless and you can never get your face low enough to use them and if you do, you will get punched in the face. Vent rib or ghost rings, idealy vent rib for 3gun.
As for the 1100, It is a good gun. I have no complaints about it though I am not super fond of the bolt release/lift gate. This is why the 1100 favors strong hand reloading. Another thing is that a pistol grip will slow you down.
The 930 JM is ready to go out of the box. What else needs to be said. For the price, it is the best value out of the bunch.
The benelli is the most expensive out of the 3. Mine has been great. Some of the drawbacks are that parts are expensive and sometimes hard to come by. A barrel will run you 350+. There are a few custom shops out there that do some excellent work but it will cost you the price of another gun. I really like the simplicity of the benelli. It isn't as soft shooting as the gas operated and also can be more sensitive to light loads and if your gun is too heavy, it kinda negates the inertia system. I have an extended tube and a surefire and mine works fine though. They do take some break in so don't be disappointed if it doesn't work right out of the box. Mine fires 100% unless using walyworld winchester bulk pack rounds. The Federals function just fine. Get what YOU want. At the end of the day, you are paying for it. There is no wrong choice between the three so get what will make you happy. No regrets.
Kevin

trigger hippie
08-24-2012, 5:10 PM
Think I'm going with the 930 JM. It seems like the best deal that I have right now. Thanks for the advice.

R1J1D
08-24-2012, 5:11 PM
Sicarius why does the pistol grip slow you down?

Trigger hippie what type of shooting are you doing the longer barrel would be good for shooting clays or hunting bird but less maneuverable in a small hallway.

out of the three you have listed I would take the R1100 it has a great reputation some nice add-ons and a set of chokes when you feel like hunting bird.

Have you looked into the charles daly shotgun models they have some great semi auto hunting guns and really nice dependable tactical models I have a tactical semi auto and it is a reliable beast eats lite and heavy loads I havent fired it much but its done great shooting right after i bought it on the stock oil and one cleaning/oil after that.

I bought mine a few years ago when they first started selling them they came from Turkey or hungary originally through charles daly but the contract fell through and CD is no more. now its a chineese importer bringing them in not sure if they are made at the same factory in turkey.
I think I saw the semi auto going for 500$ or less.

heres a pic of mine
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j328/RiJiD/shotgun.jpg

one thing i forgot it came with three Rem. chokes and the breach choke. and a lifetime warranty that is still usable, so I read.

trigger hippie
08-24-2012, 5:15 PM
Yeah, I think the Dalys are called Akkals now.

I'm doing mostly action shotgun/3-gun. I got bit by the action gunning bug pretty hard at a recent class and decided I had to have a semi shotgun.

The 1100 did look pretty good; the way the trade's looking right now though I'd probably have to take a loss on some of the items I'm trading to make it work, so...

The way it's leaning right now I'm trading a Streamlight TLR-2 plus some cash for the 930 JM. I'm feeling better and better about this deal.