PDA

View Full Version : Is rimfire a good testbed for lubes?

Paul053
08-23-2012, 9:52 PM
Granted I would love to find out what works best in my ar but due to cost of 556 it's just not possible. So I'm wondering is rimfire, specifically a sig 522, a good test bed for finding out what lubes work best? Granted you aren't seeing the high heat you would from an ar, you are seeing the Comprable amounts of carbon build up.

M27
08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
I agree that 22 has the potential to stress a lube with carbon build up

but in my opinion 556 wouldn't stress lube with carbon build up but rather high pressure and heat

also most people don't shoot a rifle long enough to run it dry

most 22lr will start having problems around 5-600 rounds because of carbon build up and it needs to be cleaned

an ar-15 should be able to go 1000 rounds, then a little lube on the bolt through the ejection port and then easily go 500 more. So do you really need to find the best lube?

maybe you do, I don't know anything about you, maybe you shoot 3000 rounds all the time, but most people don't

that being said I really like Montana x-treme gun oil
http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/?id=10&product=GunOil

Chaos47
08-23-2012, 11:56 PM
IMO No, they are not a good test bed as it's somewhat apples and oranges.

Most 22LR prefer to be run almost dry, where an AR likes to be wet.
With 22LR there is much more unburnt particles left. Where centerfire its more about carbon soot.
If you run a 22LR wet you are just giving a place for the unburnt powder to stick.

But I do not know about the Sig 522 internal design or how it likes to be run..

Paul053
08-24-2012, 1:13 PM
ahh..see your point. I always thought unburnt particles = soot.

Chaos47
08-24-2012, 8:47 PM
To me soot is very fine dust that is left from combustion. This is what I find in my centerfires.

Rimfires in my experience do not burn all their powder, I find black granules like the size of sand in my rimfires. (of course rimfires produce soot too)

Soot coats metal, unburnt powder is easily knocked off (unless it has oil to stick to)

jyo
08-24-2012, 8:50 PM
Ya know, compared to the old days, most all lubes today work just fine---can't really think of a bad one---I'm still using Breakfree CLP as I have a good supply, all my guns run well with it and no rust.