PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a Marlin modle 57 22

FairfaxCA
08-23-2012, 8:37 PM
I inherited a Marlin 57 22 from my dad in Oregon he got it in 1960 and never registered it, what do I have to do to get it to California?
Can I send it to my home in California while I'm here in Oregon?
Thanks for any help.

FairfaxCA
08-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Anyone?

Czsp-01-9mm
08-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Here this might help
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Inheriting_firearms,_both_within_California_and_In terstate

jpscoot_21
08-24-2012, 6:43 PM
So, it looks to me...according to 18 USC 922 A(5); inheriting a long gun (as long as it's not AW) and driving it home or sending it to yourself is good to go.

majtom94
08-25-2012, 9:15 AM
It would be better to drive it home.

The Gleam
08-25-2012, 9:47 AM
I inherited a Marlin 57 22 from my dad in Oregon he got it in 1960 and never registered it, what do I have to do to get it to California?
Can I send it to my home in California while I'm here in Oregon?
Thanks for any help.

And it's 50 years old or older; even if you had gotten it from another CA citizen, it would have been face-to-face without the need for dealer or DROS involvement (for now, anyway - :rolleyes:).

Being separate states is another issue, but I think since it is father to son, it is not a problem either? I am quite sure there are enough threads or FAQs here on Calguns that the answer lies within multiple times, and can be found with minimum strain of a search. I know I've seen threads many times title the same as yours.

The Gleam
08-25-2012, 9:53 AM
It would be better to drive it home.

Why not just fly with it? There is nothing illegal about flying with firearms in cargo so long as you declare with TSA or the cargo counter, do clearance check with them and get your orange tag, and lock it in an appropriate case. I've flown dozens of times with firearms and never an issue.

It's actually BETTER, because depending on the airport, you often get removed from the general cattle-loading all purpose line to get to the secure bay-areas of the airport, and get to go through TSA's MUCH shorter check line. You'll often be the only person in line, and get treated like a king. Every time I've flown with firearms, it was an ADVANTAGE and ALWAYS a more pleasant experience than flying without firearms.

Quiet
08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
So, it looks to me...according to 18 USC 922 A(5); inheriting a long gun (as long as it's not AW) and driving it home or sending it to yourself is good to go.

Yes.
But, keep in mind that the giver needs to be dead for this exemption to be valid.

FairfaxCA
08-26-2012, 6:00 PM
Thanks for the answers guys.
I wasen't able to search the threads on my ipod for some reason.