PDA

View Full Version : What IS a gun???

regalado1
08-23-2012, 7:32 PM
Is a gun, pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun a..."weapon" or is it a "firearm" or something else?

I know what I believe it is, but want to hear from the masses here at calguns.

KWalkerM
08-23-2012, 7:34 PM
shotgun rifle or firearm. i refuse to say weapon and i correct people who say weapon. guns are already getting crushed here so i nip it in the bud starting by saying firearm.

MXRider
08-23-2012, 7:37 PM
I say weapon, **** your PC terms.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

NoJoke
08-23-2012, 7:41 PM
I always call it self defense. Seems to ring home more clearly when the function for the tool is discussed instead of what type of tool you use.

gti_20ae
08-23-2012, 7:58 PM
I call it firearms, but it can be a weapon, just like your car or baseball bat can be a weapon.

BonnieB
08-23-2012, 8:21 PM
Possible source of the language.

A former Green Beret friend of mine used to recite a rhyme they used, goes like "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for killing, the other's for fun".

I may take up calling mine "Self Defense Devises" or SDD's for short... :)

LAKings22
08-23-2012, 8:43 PM
A lot of stuff can be described as a weapon including a gun. I usually refer to it by the make and or model if I don't know what it is then I refer to it as a gun. Call it whatever you want to call it.

Thefeeder
08-23-2012, 8:52 PM
I call them what I would like the media to call them.

snubbyfan
08-23-2012, 9:05 PM
I call my gun a snubby. If a cop askes if I'm armed I show him my carry permit and say I've got my revolver on me.

Gryff
08-23-2012, 9:35 PM

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

General
08-23-2012, 9:43 PM
Your a masses.

OldShooter32
08-23-2012, 9:50 PM
A "gun" is a crew-served weapon. Small arms -- rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. are used by one person. "Handgun" is ok and refers to pistols or revolvers.
The term "gun" comes from "maggonel" (mule) a very early weapon that kicked, well, like a mule.

CBlacksheep
08-23-2012, 9:53 PM
I like the word 'piece'. That or weapon. I specifically use the latter around pro-crime/anti-gun types to see the kind of reactions I'll get.

Jeepers
08-23-2012, 9:55 PM

+1 ^^^

weap·on   [wep-uhn] Show IPA
noun
any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.
Zoology . any part or organ serving for attack or defense, as claws, horns, teeth, or stings.

angrypeccary
08-23-2012, 10:09 PM
i agree military guys know guns as crew served weapons and the main armaments on navy ships

Bill Carson
08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
I have gats

JxPakman
08-24-2012, 1:19 AM
^^^
Hahaha

lilro
08-24-2012, 3:42 AM
Projectile launching device.

gunnerstuff
08-24-2012, 4:40 AM
Mass energy transfer device.

Kyle1886
08-24-2012, 5:58 AM
They are delivery systems. Same as a BB gun or a 18 inch deck gun. (A device that "delivers" a projectile through a tube). Similar delivery systems are slingshots and bows, thought they do not rely on a tube.

"Weapon"-vs-"Firearm" depends on usage at the time.

Just my opinion---

Respectfully
Kyle

Horton Fenty
08-24-2012, 6:13 AM
A "gun" is a crew-served weapon. Small arms -- rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. are used by one person. "Handgun" is ok and refers to pistols or revolvers.
The term "gun" comes from "maggonel" (mule) a very early weapon that kicked, well, like a mule.

What this guy said. Anything can be a weapon so I avoid it's usage.

FalconLair
08-24-2012, 7:03 AM
I never discuss my firearms unless I'm around other gun people, so it really doesn't matter what I call them, but I never refer to it as a "weapon" mainly because I didnt buy it as a weapon...I'll call it "my Colt", "my Browning" or "Beretta", I don't use the term weapon to describe any of my firearms, just as I don't use the term weapon to describe my baseball bats or knives

CK_32
08-24-2012, 7:20 AM
Firearm.. Hand gun.. Pistol.. Rifle.. Glock.. Revolver.. All depends on who I'm talking to and how I'm referig..

I don't own weapons or assault weapons.. Only time I say weapon is if someone intentionally harms another with it then it was a weapon but I have no use for a weapon but a use for a gun to defend my self.

Sanman023
08-24-2012, 7:39 AM
i call it heater..

to the anti's..i call it tactical assault semi automatic pistol...

IrishJoe3
08-24-2012, 8:19 AM

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

This, I say weapon, and don't even think about correcting me.

I cringe when I hear "gun".

HermanH
08-28-2012, 5:41 PM
A gun is a device for testing Einstiens equation for energy. :D

USMC 82-86
08-28-2012, 5:55 PM
Funny this came up in our class this weekend. It was really tough some of the guys were prior military and current military, we had LEO as well. We were instructed not to use the word weapon around the new shooters. It was tough. Unfortunately there are some crazy folks out there who even use ours words to try to make gun owners look like a bunch of nuts.

Gem1950
08-28-2012, 7:31 PM
Dude, firearm is the correct nomenclature.

Hardwarejunkie
08-28-2012, 10:17 PM

A former Green Beret friend of mine used to recite a rhyme they used, goes like "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for killing, the other's for fun".

While I was in basic, anytime someone used the word "gun" my Drill Sergeant would make the company recite a similar rhyme:
"This is my rifle (port arms), this is my gun (Michael Jackson grab), this one's for killing (shake rifle), this one's for fun (3 shakes)".

I also like the phrase "he died from kinetic energy poisoning".

As for the original topic - meh.
The internet allows for too many people of widely differing backgrounds, training and experience to interact for there ever to be consistency in terminology.
Sometimes I forget that though! :)

SacTown
08-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Weapon is vague. A Macbook can be called a weapon, especially after bludgeoning someone to death with it. Was it designed to be a weapon? No, but it was used as a weapon. However, if I'm talking with someone who understands that I'm referring to my firearm then I will call it whatever the hell I want, including but not limited to, my weapon. That's the beauty of living in America.

wjc
08-29-2012, 2:53 PM
I use "firearm". The term "weapon" implies a certain usage that may or may not apply.

BonnieB
09-12-2012, 12:49 AM
I also like the phrase "he died from kinetic energy poisoning".

KEP! this is wonderful and I'm stealing it.

johnthomas
09-12-2012, 1:26 AM

You are correct. Only you hold your weapon in one hand and gun in the other running around the company several times saying that at the top of your lungs.
I was raised in the Army, dad never called a weapon a gun, so I knew better when I joined, lol. Funny to watch though.

Since my peer group mostly were never in the military, I just say gun.

drkphibr
09-12-2012, 7:19 AM
Is a gun, pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun a..."weapon" or is it a "firearm" or something else?

I know what I believe it is, but want to hear from the masses here at calguns.

The answer to your question is both. Just about anything imaginable can be used as a weapon (e.g., pencil used as a knife), but not everything can be used as a firearm, so I would classify a firearm as a type of weapon depending on how it's used. Weapon seems to have a negative connotation and firearm is more neutral, IMO.

When a pencil is used for writing a letter, I don't think of it as a weapon. When that same pencil is used to stab an attacker in the throat, I think of it as a weapon. Likewise, when a firearm is used for paper range target practice, I don't consider it a weapon, but more of a type of tool/utility object with a specific purpose. When that same firearm is used for self-defense, I'd consider its usage as a weapon in that circumstance.

My .02

Sanman023
09-12-2012, 7:38 AM
maybe we can look at the original intent of the invention....just my opinion...

savannah
09-12-2012, 7:46 AM
"It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is."

For me the definition of a gun is "pistol type firearm".

opie4386
09-12-2012, 7:57 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/AE86_LEVIN/boomstick.jpg

That is what i say around the house :) j/k

I call them by what they are. Pistol,revolver,rifle etc. And if individuals want a intimate desciption i will say striker,hammer, single, double, etc. All in the hopes of educating the masses and teaching them that firearms are not just "point and shoot, all are equal."

Renaissance Redneck
09-12-2012, 8:04 AM
I use the term "weapon" a lot. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. Having been in the military has something to do with this.

I still use the term "gun" occasionally, but I try not to say it. Military influence again; it's NOT a gun, it's a "rifle", "handgun", "weapon", etc.

But hey, this place is called CalGUNS afterall . . . .. we know what you mean when you say GUN. :D