PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP101 22lr instead of SR22

Rightwinger
08-23-2012, 2:25 PM
So I went to jail an SR22 yesterday but I really didn't like the feel of it, probably do to it having the smaller grip sleeve on it. Other then that it was a nice small compact pistol. But having already a Ruger 22/45 I decided to instead go with the New 8 round SP101 22lr revolver. I know it's about double the price but what the heck it shoots cheap ammo, it's stainless steal and will last a life time.. The only thing is Ruger is so backed-up I had to put a deposit down and wait.. Called around to at lease 6 local stores - All out or not available. Sure hope I don't have to wait long.:toetap05:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/tirefryin66/5765.jpg

psango
08-23-2012, 3:30 PM
Very nice! I have one of the older 4in 6 shot SP101 .22LR and love it. Congratulations!

CSACANNONEER
08-23-2012, 3:41 PM
I'd love one but, I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

thatsteveguy
08-23-2012, 4:03 PM
I picked up one from Turner's when they had them on sale a few months ago. I'm very happy with it's function, accuracy and finish. The only thing I've done to it since I bought it was replace the hammer spring with a 12lb and install a hogue rubber grip.

loosewreck
08-23-2012, 7:06 PM
Its a solid little gun. I had a 3" in .357, I also hated the small grips so I replaced it with a wood and a rubber Hogue.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_61_400&products_id=3528 (http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_61_400&products_id=3528)

donw
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
i'd select the revolver over the semi-auto, too.

simply because of the vitriol in the media about "Semi-automatic" weapons now days...

in fact i'm thinking of getting the same model you selected..

a good revolver is, indeed, a life-long investment.

**NOTE**: this is NOT degrading or demeaning of semi-auto pistols in any way...

smattenson
08-24-2012, 2:40 PM
I got to fondle one of these new sp101's in 22lr and I have to say its on my list of guns to buy. I have always wanted the 357 version and now I know I want both! There is some real quality put into it

canyon289
08-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I wanted to buy one but I can't find them anywhere! I ended up getting an SR22 but I still think I'm going get one as soon as I see it

Rightwinger
08-25-2012, 6:47 PM
I picked up one from Turner's when they had them on sale a few months ago. The only thing I've done to it since I bought it was replace the hammer spring with a 12lb and install a hogue rubber grip.

I'll have to remember that 12lb spring. How a few months makes, cause there nowhere to be found now..

i'd select the revolver over the semi-auto, too.

a good revolver is, indeed, a life-long investment.

The life-long investment was the main reason as well.

I got to fondle one of these new sp101's in 22lr and I have to say its on my list of guns to buy. I have always wanted the 357 version and now I know I want both! There is some real quality put into it

Yeah it was my brothers Ruger 357 that sold me on a SP101 line

I wanted to buy one but I can't find them anywhere! I ended up getting an SR22 but I still think I'm going get one as soon as I see it

Yeah - Don't feel bad, I had to put a deposit down so I can get the next one that comes in.. Still if the SR22 is your first semi-auto 22lr - made a good choice!!

gorenut
08-25-2012, 6:53 PM
I wanted the SR22 up until I actually handled it. Even with the large grips, it's too small for my hands. My 22/45 with 1911 grips just fit much better. My girlfriend still wants the SR22 though since it reminds her of a Walther p99 and is better built than a p22.

The SP101 looks sweet. Lately I've been debating between that or a Ruger Single-Ten.

Jack L
08-26-2012, 8:58 AM
Wheel guns in .22 are not only classic, super fun and accurate they also hold their value well. I love wheelies.

Rightwinger
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Wheel guns in .22 are not only classic, super fun and accurate they also hold their value well. I love wheelies.

"I love wheelies" - Now that's funny, Good one.:laugh:

ckyrulez
08-26-2012, 5:59 PM
The SP101 looks sweet. Lately I've been debating between that or a Ruger Single-Ten.

I've been thinking about a SP101 as well, but have also heard good things about the Single-Tens. Any opinions on which way to go?

Rightwinger
08-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I've been thinking about a SP101 as well, but have also heard good things about the Single-Tens. Any opinions on which way to go?

Can't beat the quality with ether one - top notch revolvers, I personally prefer the 8 round SP101 because it's a DA/SA where as the Single-ten is SA.

sneather
08-27-2012, 9:32 AM
I have the very first SP101. When they were still making it with the identical parts from the .357. I really like the gun. However, a few caveats:

The sights are rubbish. It's always shot a little high, and the little piece of lint that they call a "blade" at the rear, is only adjustable for windage. Useless.

The other issue, is that the cylinder walls quickly become fouled when shooting, to a point where ejecting spent casings can become quite difficult, and worrisome, for fear of bending the ejection rod.

I do like the gun, but more in theory. When I go plinking, I'll likely grab my MKII nine out of ten times.

While I think the new SP101 .22 looks less attractive then my older one, it DOES look to have some actual sights. I would also assume that the cylinder clearances must be improved, because there is no way that I am the only one with such issues on the old original.

RC78
09-06-2012, 8:24 PM
I too am in the market for an sp101.
Anybody know where to pick one up at the best price?
Or a place that even has them in stock?
Perhaps someone here wants to sell theirs ? ? ?

ham
09-06-2012, 10:22 PM
I too am in the market for an sp101.
Anybody know where to pick one up at the best price?
Or a place that even has them in stock?
Perhaps someone here wants to sell theirs ? ? ?

Turners has them in stock. price i don't remember off the top of my head.