PDA

View Full Version : Going to Oak Tree Gun Club Tips?

Bangzoom
08-23-2012, 12:23 PM
I havent been to a real range in eons so any tips when i go to oak tree?

what should i bring?

Are paper targets i print out ok? do i need tape?

I have material i can make targets with its like plastic cardboard...will i be able to place these?

Will i be able to roll my gun cart around?

can i keep going back to my car?

Im totally in the dark as i am used to shooting on public lands that have since been closed

will they sell ammo like..7.62x39...30 cal carbine...and the more common stuff?

i feel like such an ignorant noob asking but im outta touch with paid ranges

anything i missed you think is helpful?

baih777
08-23-2012, 1:30 PM
If you are going to shoot rifles, go to angeles range. You will need non-magnetic ammo.

ragenmoan
08-23-2012, 2:32 PM
i've only shot trap there. they do have a pretty well stocked store though. could even rent shotguns. the pistol range have a lot of steel targets already setup. cant say anything sabout the rifle range.

BruinGuy
08-23-2012, 4:20 PM

what should i bring?
Your guns, ammo unless you want to pay retail, and any tools or accessories you need.

They have steel targets for pistols and paper target bays. They supply the target stands/backings and tape, so you can buy targets there or bring your own.

I have material i can make targets with its like plastic cardboard...will i be able to place these?
Dunno; sometimes they let people shoot clay pigeons so they might let you bring your own target stand, but they do supply them too so why bother?

Through the parking lot, yes; one of the rifle ranges is down a dirt road so unless the wheels are able then you might need to carry it.

Usually, the ROs will watch your stuff for you, but you should try to park close to the bay at which you'll be shooting. They might not be able to watch your things and why take a chance?

Im totally in the dark as i am used to shooting on public lands that have since been closed

They usually have common ammunition, but unless you're shooting their reloads you'll be paying pretty much full retail for it.

I'd add also that they're in the middle of putting in a new rifle range, so the new one is open during the day and is accessed through the shotgun facility. The old rifle range and bay 1 (which allows rifles but is only 60 yards max) are at the far end of the pistol area.

If you're going to go shooting there often, a membership is a good idea. It's a lot of money to lay down at once, but in the long run it can save a lot, since the daily range fee is $20.00.

Have fun!

Bangzoom
08-23-2012, 5:26 PM
I'd add also that they're in the middle of putting in a new rifle range, so the new one is open during the day and is accessed through the shotgun facility. The old rifle range and bay 1 (which allows rifles but is only 60 yards max) are at the far end of the pistol area.

If you're going to go shooting there often, a membership is a good idea. It's a lot of money to lay down at once, but in the long run it can save a lot, since the daily range fee is $20.00.

Have fun!

thx so much...you saved me with my cart...i will bring a different cart with better wheels

den888
08-23-2012, 5:50 PM
I have been to their gunshop, good selection and friendly folks.

gti_20ae
08-23-2012, 5:53 PM
If I remember correctly, the rifle range at Oak Tree is only available on Friday. So if you are shooting rifle, better call to check schedule with them.

cwilliams
08-23-2012, 6:10 PM

Have fun!

The new rifle range, called the "AR Range," is open and great! They are in the process of getting lights installed for night shooting. It's 100 yards max like the other one, but open all days that Oak Tree is open.

duster1974
08-23-2012, 6:23 PM
Make Reservations for trap...I was up there last weekend. Saw a colleague from work, who I have never discussed guns with. Our business relationship will be strengthened by this common interest, and I'm in sales, so thats a great thing.

Great time. Here's a pic of a cart I saw last weekend. Some of my offspring-rich friends immediately recognized the brand of stroller.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/549540_4443425889866_43030235_n.jpg

cwilliams
08-23-2012, 6:24 PM

what should i bring?
Guns, ammo, water, spotting scope and anything else you'd normally bring. Rifle rests were available the last time I was there. If you have one you prefer, bring your own.

Any paper targets are fine. They sell them there as well. If you have a small staple gun, I'd bring that to pin the targets to the cardboard backs or bring some duct tape.

Call and ask. They provide cardboard backs.

Yes. The new "AR" rifle range is on a better path than the other "LAPD" range

Of course! Just like anywhere else, be mindful of your gear.

Yes. They have a fairly extensive ammo supply. Call if you want to see what they have in stock.

You may shoot bi-metal jacket ammo. This has been confirmed via email with Oak Tree several times through a few different people, including myself. I have used it in my Mosin Nagant with no issues. They have never checked anything with a magnet nor have asked.

Have fun! I'll be there on Saturday morning with some family members.

Bangzoom
08-23-2012, 6:38 PM
thx for the info to all above

ill be bringing 7 rifles..LOL but 3 people...I havent shot many of these rifles and well i NEED to

cwilliams
08-23-2012, 10:12 PM
We will have about 10 rifles for 5 people, and no telling how many handguns. What you are bringing doesn't sound outrageous at all! I too have some new acquisitions that have not been shot.

Have a good time!

Bangzoom
08-24-2012, 4:31 PM
Just got back...had a Blast...rifle range guy was pretty cool...yelled at a group of guys not following rules..my AR jammed and needs repair...my most accurate rifle was my K31..was able to hit the far steel almost every shot even standing...my 30 carbine mag was acting up...then a guy needed paramedics to take him away for maybe chest pains...went to the pistol range where i found out the STAR i never shot may need a new mag spring

pretty good day...i realy just needed to test all the stuff ive been collecting before i had 12 to take...lol

cwilliams
08-24-2012, 4:39 PM
Just got back...had a Blast...rifle range guy was pretty cool...yelled at a group of guys not following rules..my AR jammed and needs repair...my most accurate rifle was my K31..was able to hit the far steel almost every shot even standing...my 30 carbine mag was acting up...then a guy needed paramedics to take him away for maybe chest pains...went to the pistol range where i found out the STAR i never shot may need a new mag spring

pretty good day...i really just needed to test all the stuff ive been collecting before i had 12 to take...lol

Excellent! My K31 will be amongst shooting arsenal tomorrow.

I apologize to the great people at Oak Tree for not knowing everyone's names, but was it an older gentleman RO that was doing the yelling? I've seen him get on to a couple kids who had never shot before. I didn't see what one of them did, but it was enough to get a very stern lecture in safety. After that, they followed procedure extremely well. I've received nothing but great respect and help from the RO's. Sometimes people just need a reminder!

smle-man
08-24-2012, 5:06 PM
Try a Place to Shoot next time. More oriented to rifle shooting including steel targets out to 400 yds. No steel jacketed ammo allowed. A pretty mellow range staff. Either get there early or later in the day, it gets crowded from about 0930 to noon.

Moto
08-24-2012, 5:18 PM
Glad to hear you had a blast Bangzoom.

IMO Oak tree is the best public range in so cal.

Bangzoom
08-24-2012, 5:19 PM
Excellent! My K31 will be amongst shooting arsenal tomorrow.

I apologize to the great people at Oak Tree for not knowing everyone's names, but was it an older gentleman RO that was doing the yelling? I've seen him get on to a couple kids who had never shot before. I didn't see what one of them did, but it was enough to get a very stern lecture in safety. After that, they followed procedure extremely well. I've received nothing but great respect and help from the RO's. Sometimes people just need a reminder!

yeah im bad at names too...older guy i think he said he was the Head RO

And if he yelled at me I would still respect him...nice guy

Bangzoom
08-24-2012, 5:20 PM
Try a Place to Shoot next time. More oriented to rifle shooting including steel targets out to 400 yds. No steel jacketed ammo allowed. A pretty mellow range staff. Either get there early or later in the day, it gets crowded from about 0930 to noon.

yeah well the majority of what i shoot is bi-metal jacketed