PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Wingmaster?

Tortuga
08-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Hello everyone, I am new here, grew up around guns, but never owned one. I have recently got the bug, and have pretty much settled on a new Remington Wingmaster. I have looked at the Moss 500 and 870 Express, but want something more like the Wingmaster. The problem is, I cannot find one. I have checked with a few local shops, and they can only special order one for $850+ I found a vendor called Bud's guns, but the reviews seem to be less than favorable. I think I kind of understand the 10 day waiting period, but I don't really understand how it works shipping it to a local gun store, fees, and taxes. I am about halfway through the online hunting course, and am just struggling to find this gun. I have looked through the used ads, and they are a little tough to find there too, however I have decided to go new for my first gun, and then go used from there....

Anyways, any ideas on a fair-priced good shop I could go through to find a Wingmaster? Thanks in advance.....

Barbarossa
08-23-2012, 11:51 AM
I would try your local gun store (L.G.S.) and see if they have one or can order one.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=4857&master

sephy
08-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I have ordered from Bud's many, many times and they always treat me right. If you order from out of state you'll still pay sales tax along with whatever the FFL you choose decides is fair for the transfer (tax and transfer go to the FFL). Buds has a list of preferred FFL's and many will list what their transfer is (LINK (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/ffl.php)). I always get ahold of the FFL first to make sure it's OK to ship them a gun (also a good time to clarify their fees as these change). Many are small operations so sometimes they are on vacation or have shut down. The prices on the website are cash prices, so if you pay by check that's the price you'll get. They WILL hold your check until it clears. Shipping from Buds is fast. You can go to your FFL, inspect the gun, and do the paperwork. Your 10 days starts once that paperwork is done and they put it in the computer. Your FFL will tell you when you can come pick it up.

I checked out Buds and even after the rates many FFL's are charging you'll still come out ahead of what the local shop said ($850).

t0kie
08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Also try Gunbroker. Sometimes they have great deal too.

sephy
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Also try Gunbroker. Sometimes they have great deal too.

True. That's where I got my 870P.

Tortuga
08-23-2012, 5:49 PM
Ok, I spoke with the folks at Bud's, and they gave some input on the process. They will ship the gun for $613 which seems like a great price. Now I just need to talk to my local shop to see if they will accept it and how it will work on their end. I am still a little nervous about going through Bud's though, as there is just so much negative feedback on the web about them.....

sephy
08-23-2012, 5:56 PM
Ok, I spoke with the folks at Bud's, and they gave some input on the process. They will ship the gun for $613 which seems like a great price. Now I just need to talk to my local shop to see if they will accept it and how it will work on their end. I am still a little nervous about going through Bud's though, as there is just so much negative feedback on the web about them.....

Your local shop may do it, but you can also check out the link I posted above and type in your zip. It will give you locations that will for sure take it, and in some cases have ratings.

I was nervous about my first purchase online, too. Now when I buy a gun I always check it out to see if I can get a better price (taking into account higher transfers and tax). Buds is my go-to store because they always take care of me for a great price. Most of the bad reviews I've read have come from a buyer having unrealistic expectations or not allowing time for Buds to correct a mistake. In the end they pull through because they want you to come back. On their website they list 99% gunbroker and 100% positive ebay feedback and that's no lie!

CK_32
08-23-2012, 6:33 PM
Call around and ask or look at the used gun racks and the classifieds all over the net

bluewrx
08-23-2012, 7:44 PM
That is a nice gun. I am getting one hopefully soon.

prc77
08-23-2012, 7:48 PM
I bought my SLP from Buds. No issues at all. If you are in the bay area. I recommend Rogers Relics for the transfer.

sephy
08-23-2012, 9:34 PM
I bought my SLP from Buds. No issues at all. If you are in the bay area. I recommend Rogers Relics for the transfer.

My first PPT was there. I recommend them too.

Tortuga
08-24-2012, 8:28 AM
These are good things to hear. I'm going to call again today and I also found one of their preferred ffl stores here in San Diego which I will call too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

bombadillo
08-24-2012, 8:30 AM
I have wingmaster furniture if you want one with a current action, although I think the action on the oldies are much better myself. Not better, but smoother.

Tortuga
08-24-2012, 9:28 AM
I have read that too, and am pretty much open to anything, but I have been told by a few folks, new is the way to go for my first gun.....thanks for the offer......

Tortuga
08-24-2012, 9:59 AM
Ok, another newbie question. I do understand chokes a little, but should I try to buy one with chokes at the same time, or wait until later? My early plans are to shoot some clays, maybe some upland, and home defense, but mainly just pulling the trigger to get time on it and familiarity.....thanks again.....Jake

MMA
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
If you're in San Diego, you might try Duncan's, they have a pretty good selection of shotguns.

Tortuga
08-24-2012, 12:04 PM
I did try Duncan's, they wanted to special order it for $850 so I just moved on...thanks for the response though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Tortuga
08-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Duplicate

Tortuga
08-24-2012, 7:36 PM
Well, after some reading, homework, and testing, it turns out the reason for my struggles in the in past to hit my targets is due to me being cross-eye dominant. So, it looks like I need a left handed gun, and the Wingmaster is no longer made in the left handed version. So now I am looking for some advice on a similar gun. I really liked the history behind the Wingmaster. I would say that I want an extremely reliable gun that will last forever ( I am sure most will anyway), good quality, smooth action, and flexible for different types of shooting. A good story or history behind the gun like it being a classic is a big plus....other than that I am open to anything. I like the $600-$1000 range but don't want it to be too nice in case it gets a little wounded in the field. I like the idea of a good quality flexible "Working" gun with a neat history......

heavyrecoil
08-24-2012, 8:06 PM
For an ambidextrous pump gun of similar quality to the Wingmaster, you might want to take a look at the Browning BPS and the Ithaca model 37.

sephy
08-24-2012, 8:46 PM
Browning BPS looks good. Here is a LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl1wwfNP8SQ) to Browning's video of it. There seems to be quite a range of them, too.

Thefeeder
08-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Well, after some reading, homework, and testing, it turns out the reason for my struggles in the in past to hit my targets is due to me being cross-eye dominant. So, it looks like I need a left handed gun, and the Wingmaster is no longer made in the left handed version. So now I am looking for some advice on a similar gun. I really liked the history behind the Wingmaster. I would say that I want an extremely reliable gun that will last forever ( I am sure most will anyway), good quality, smooth action, and flexible for different types of shooting. A good story or history behind the gun like it being a classic is a big plus....other than that I am open to anything. I like the $600-$1000 range but don't want it to be too nice in case it gets a little wounded in the field. I like the idea of a good quality flexible "Working" gun with a neat history......

There is cross eyed dominate...both eyes equal

and opposite eye dominate...right handed, left eye dominate or vise versa

Which are you and how did you test for the result?

Tortuga
08-25-2012, 7:59 AM
Wow, I didn't know that. I just did a little test of holding my hands out together forming a small open triangle with them over a target. With both eyes open, I always seem to draw my hands back to my left eye. I have also been to the doctor and my left eye is much better than my right, but I wasn't aware that the dominant eye does better with depth perception. Any suggestions? I would love to figure out what I should do before I buy. I know going out and getting some shots in would be the best way to go but I may have to wait awhile before I can do that. I'm open to any ideas. I would really like the Wingmaster but I did a bunch of reading on the BPS and that might just be the better way to go for my first gun.

Jake

m16
08-25-2012, 8:49 AM
I've purchased three pistols from Bud's over the past two years.

All three transactions went smoothly, zero complaints here.

Have you looked around for a used Wingmaster? You can find them for half the price and usually the action is slicker than snot from being cycled a million times.

bsg
08-25-2012, 9:51 AM
before you give up on the 870... consider an older Wingmaster; it'll be "new to you." most likely, it will never leave your collection.

Tortuga
08-25-2012, 10:56 AM
before you give up on the 870... consider an older Wingmaster; it'll be "new to you." most likely, it will never leave your collection.

I agree 100%, just trying to decide if I should get a lefty or not. As much as I would love a Wingmaster, I am starting to think I should either get an Express Lefty, or a BPS until I figure things out. Although I am a little intrigued about learning how to shoot lefty. What would be a decent price for a used Wingmaster Lefty? I found one for $395, but that auction has ended....

johnny1290
08-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow 395 sounds like a steal.

My experience is it's easy to sell guns here in CA and get a good price for them. If I'm interested in a gun I buy it and re-sell it later if I don't like it. I'm usually out tax and dross, but sometimes I've done better and sometimes worse. It's all part of the deal.

I used to have an 870 express. It's absolutely a fine weapon, and a tough finish. Great for the truck. That said, hunting with it got old. It became a boat anchor very quickly. My friend had a wingmaster and MAN was that a nice shotgun! It was way lighter and quicker to point shooting skeet and trap, too.

I didn't realize they were that much money now. Wow. They are awesome though. If anybody tells you the 870 Express is just as good, tell them I set you straight. I don't care *what* you're using it for, the wingmaster is much more pleasant to handle.

Tortuga
08-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I do definately want a Wingmaster, but I am still torn on the left/right thing. I guess I will keep looking for a used lefty, or maybe I should just go with a BPS and shoot both ways. Sure wish this cross-eye dominant thing wasn't an issue, not too many lefty guns out there.

Tortuga
08-26-2012, 6:05 PM
Well, I just ordered a Browning BPS. I figured I could'nt go wrong with this one. This way I can shoot it both ways, and really iron out which side will work best....then I can track down that wingmaster.....thanks all for the great advice.....next.....a pistol.......

prc77
08-26-2012, 6:50 PM
You don't need to buy a left handed shotgun. Actually its better that you have a shotgun that ejects from the right side. You have a great visual on the ejection port,and chamber. Loading from a side saddle seems to be a little faster and easier. No worries regarding empty hulls in you face either.

For me, the Moss 500 is perfect for a lefty. Tang mounted safety and the action release is in a perfect spot. Hogue 12" LOP and forend for it also.

sephy
08-26-2012, 9:36 PM
Well, I just ordered a Browning BPS. I figured I could'nt go wrong with this one. This way I can shoot it both ways, and really iron out which side will work best....then I can track down that wingmaster.....thanks all for the great advice.....next.....a pistol.......

Nice. Which one did you end up going for? After reading about it and watching those videos I really wish I could justify buying another shotgun :pinch:

Tortuga
08-26-2012, 10:58 PM
I went with the 12G 28" Hunter! Wouldn't you know, shortly after ordering the BPS today I won a bid on a very clean looking 1990's Wing master for $281. Seems like a decent deal. Just went from zero to two shotguns just like that! Better quit now!

Jake

johnny1290
08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Congrats on the wingmaster! you're going to love it. Can't lose at that price.

bombadillo
08-27-2012, 11:48 AM
And pics or it didn't happen.

Tortuga
08-27-2012, 1:26 PM
You got it, pics will come once I get them.......