PDA

View Full Version : Gun shows worth attending?

norcalcook
08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I live in the North Bay and was wondering if there are any gun shows worth attending? I know they tend to have them at the Cow Palace and in Vallejo, but I've been hearing lately they aren't worth checking out. Thoughts? Are there still deals to be had at these shows? Or ammo on the cheap? I've got a new Saiga that I wouldn't mind picking up a few mags for, along with some ammo. Is it worth the hour drive and gas money? Thanks in advance.

DArBad
08-23-2012, 10:21 AM
" Is it worth the hour drive and gas money? " Plus bridge toll, parking fee, and gate fee added???

NOPE.

bohoki
08-23-2012, 10:27 AM
well its slim pickings its like gambling sometimes random people put out things that are priced to move but most other things are common internet orderable items

its rare that you will find a 50 year old long arm worth taking home those things are command a premium from being able to cash and carry

its a shame ca is shutting down that feature of the law as there are some spiffy 1962 guns

Legasat
08-23-2012, 10:29 AM
It depends what you after. These days, there is generally not much of a financial incentive, but if you are after something specific, and you know it is going to be there, maybe.

Curley Red
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I hear the jerky is good.

daveinwoodland
08-23-2012, 10:49 AM
In my experience you can get equal or better deals online even with shipping costs.

CK_32
08-23-2012, 11:14 AM
IMO the ones in OC SoCal I've gone to 5 in a few years and I havnt seen anything worth my time. Everything is full price or marked up and it's hardly really guns accept brand new from shops at full MSRP.. I think it's crazy when I see guys walking around with huge bags of stuff or tons of ammo you can buy cheaper online after shipping.

IMO only thing it's good for is bonding and killing a day.. Don't ever plan on buying anything anymore.

freebug
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Same gun shows typically just sell a lot of crap. I've gone to quite a few but now with the Internet, you can get everything for less and have the assured safety of a refund.
So. I don't bother.

Vlad 11
08-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Gun shows , while lamer than they used to be, are still ok for

Bulk Ammunition buys.

Reloading supplies ... powder and primers. No hazmat fee, usually better prices

Small cleaning supplies and gizmos you don't want to wait for or make a small order for

A particular part or screw for a firearm can often be found

h0use
08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
only if you buy ammo in bulk. 2000 rounds or more.

Colt562
08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I only buy reloading components at gun shows down here in SoCal, that all I usually find....

Supertac916
08-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Make the trek out to the Big Reno gun shows. I haven't gone to any others, since I first attended one several years ago.

InGrAM
08-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Not in this state, a free state: YES, in CA: NO.

Online is much better. Well, ammo can be had for at or around online prices but without shipping costs, but then you have to pay to get in, park, etc...

Falstaff
08-23-2012, 1:03 PM
NO! (Unless you like listening to deep solid (brown)FUD from ignorant vendors and paying 20-30% more than online prices for everything they sell).

triggatronic
08-23-2012, 1:10 PM
I hear the jerky is good.

"beef jerky time"

daveinwoodland
08-23-2012, 1:41 PM
"beef jerky time"
"Oh no thank you, it gives me the willies something terrible"

kengotit
08-23-2012, 2:05 PM
I usually go to the Cow Palace show, since i live in the area. just go early morning park in the street and pay to get in,

also have a list of thing i need, ammo for the most part.

CK_32
08-23-2012, 2:11 PM
But for the hazmat fee you are avoiding your spending the same price in the ticket...
I think a lot of people don't take into account the ticket price into their overall spending as well as the purchase it self.. That's the killer of all the "ok" deals I find.

Being it right back to normal to high pricing for me.. Not to mention the time out of my day and the 20 min on way driving using gas.. Id rather pay the $25 hazmat and point click and have a free day still and relax.. Not to mention those who pay for parking on top of it.

Colt562
08-23-2012, 2:39 PM
I'm sorry but how does everyone complain about the show entrance fees, you are in the shooting sport, it's expensive no matter what so why not get the ammo today and not have to worry about shipping? Just my .02 I love gun shows

fighterpilot562
08-23-2012, 3:13 PM
Going once in a while is not bad, just to walk around and see if you can find a good deal.

ragenmoan
08-23-2012, 3:53 PM
i go to the cow palace show if i need empty ammo boxes. otherwise, not worth the time or cost for parking

Miked83
08-23-2012, 9:35 PM
If you want cheap ammo and excellent beef jerky, than the answer is, yes.

LAKings22
08-23-2012, 10:16 PM
If you have nothing to do then it's worth it. You might find somthing for a good price or even at regular price it's good to take home then wait 3-5 days to be shipped.

gwgn02
08-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Waste of time.

cwilliams
08-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I'd just like to throw out something out there -

For those of you that enjoy watching sports, how much do you spend on tickets to go to an event? How about parking? Food? Gas to get there? I'm betting in the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars depending on what it is. Everything is marked up two to three, maybe even several times what it's worth, but you still go and enjoy it. Why go to a game when you can watch it on tv for essentially "free?" Because you like getting out and experiencing it!

I see guns shows as a similar thing to me as those who go to sporting events. Why do I go? I enjoy them! For the cost of the entrance fee, gas, and maybe parking (depends on the venue) I can have access to more dealers or private sellers in one venue than I can visit in three counties. Face to face contact with other human beings I feel is essential for our sport/hobby and general well being. You can end up meeting some great people and build a business relationship if you end up purchasing. I actually have found deals at the last three shows in southern California that were below internet pricing even if you factored in the expenses to get there. I have a great time walking around (usually with my brother) and we can see and hold guns that are usually harder to find.

For the record, I have purchased from dealers out of state on the internet and will continue to do so when I'm looking for a somewhat hard to find item or an incredible deal pops up. I also do agree that some prices I have seen can be borderline outrageous, but that's why you do your homework. Learn to haggle a bit and see what you can agree upon.

CDFingers
08-24-2012, 4:42 AM
Worth attending? Heck yeah.

Even if you don't buy anything, gun shows are great places to learn stuff.

You get to see all kinds of things you've never handled before. You get to see strange ammo, get to see what reloading equipment looks like.

They're kind of like museums because you bump into 19th century guns.

Go.

There's one up in Chico at the Silver Dollar Fair grounds this weekend. I'm going.

CDFingers

the86d
08-24-2012, 5:01 AM
Primers at less than 1/2 off, CHECK!

I usually pay between 39.90, and 49.99 for 1k of primers locally.

I went to my second show ever, and w/5k @$119, I got 10k (5k pistol, and 5k rifle). :)

norcalcook
08-24-2012, 8:29 AM
So I don't do any reloading and both the Vallejo and Cow Palace gun shows are an hour drive... That being said, I do appreciate some good beef jerky.

Really the only thing I'm needing right now is some bulk 7.62x39 ammo. Aside from that it would probably be more window shopping unless a crazy good deal smacked me across the face (preferably after I ate my beef jerky).

And is the Reno show really that good? If so, maybe I'll consolidate gas and just hit that up.

bohoki
08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
And is the Reno show really that good? If so, maybe I'll consolidate gas and just hit that up.

stop at cabellas for some gummy bears and some gunpowder then got to the show then hit sportsmans warehouse after the show

JeremyKX
08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
What's the best gun show in Socal? LA, OC, etc

bloodhawke83
08-24-2012, 11:42 AM
maybe for the first few times, then it just repeats itself.

cwilliams
08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
What's the best gun show in Socal? LA, OC, etc

Having attended the Ontario, Glendale, and Costa Mesa shows, I would say the Costa Mesa show is the one to go to.

SumthingFierce
08-24-2012, 4:07 PM
Gun shows , while lamer than they used to be, are still ok for

Bulk Ammunition buys.

Reloading supplies ... powder and primers. No hazmat fee, usually better prices

Small cleaning supplies and gizmos you don't want to wait for or make a small order for

A particular part or screw for a firearm can often be found

+1

I prefer to see and feel holsters, range bags and other supplies firsthand. Not the same with online purchase. Plus instant gratification. Buy, get home, install and enjoy.:D

norcalcook
08-28-2012, 9:10 AM
So the Vallejo Gun Show is coming up next weekend. Those who have attended- is it worth attending for bulk ammo purchases? Or am I better off buying online and paying for shipping?

dk94044
09-10-2012, 6:18 PM
It's like going to a car show, you get to touch and see guns you want to buy, be around people that love guns, talk to other gun enthusiast without being labeled a psycho gun freak.

Renaissance Redneck
09-11-2012, 6:36 AM
"Oh no thank you, it gives me the willies something terrible"

Close. "No, it gives me the wind something terrible."

http://new.wavlist.com/movies/239/trpl-beefjerky.wav

triggatronic
09-11-2012, 3:33 PM
Close. "No, it gives me the wind something terrible."

http://new.wavlist.com/movies/239/trpl-beefjerky.wav

Lol.

"Beef Jerky Time!!!"