PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Stainless II & Truglo Brite Sights Installation Woes....

RoundEye
08-22-2012, 9:31 PM
Tonight I attempted to help a fellow Calgunner install a pair of Truglo Brite Sights on his Kimber Stainless II. The factory rear pushed out fine, and the Truglo rear pushed in with relative ease. The front sight was far more of a challenge. The slides narrowness, height, made keeping it straight in the pusher while applying pressure quite difficult, but with a little finess and determination, we made it happen. The new sight also presented issues, as it would just easily fall/push through the dovetail like it was undersized. We compared it to the factory one that was removed, and we did notice a slight differnce in thickness. If we added 3 small pieces of tinfoil as a shim it pushed in by hand, but with significant resistance.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any insight regarding this kind of issue? Is the front dovetail undersized, or is it common to need to shim the front sight with a 1911?

JTROKS
08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
With my experience installing dovetailed front sights that sounds too loose to stay in place once you start shooting it. Why don't you contact Truglo and provide them with the measurements of that front sight. It might just be out of spec and may send you the proper size.

RoundEye
08-22-2012, 11:30 PM
With my experience installing dovetailed front sights that sounds too loose to stay in place once you start shooting it. Why don't you contact Truglo and provide them with the measurements of that front sight. It might just be out of spec and may send you the proper size.

Yea, that's the plan. I just wanted to check here and see if there was something I was unaware of. Thanks for the input.

c3 rolling
08-23-2012, 1:24 AM
I would leave the shim in place and use some red loctite to weld that sucker in.

Swiss Guy
08-23-2012, 9:25 AM
Sadly it's my Kimber that's feeling the pain of the TruGlo sights. Even more sad is that they don't have a support number. The only option is to send an email. No idea how long it'll be before I hear back from them and the clock is ticking down to a competition I want to go to this Saturday.

Gatotsu77
08-23-2012, 11:42 AM
If I'm remembering correctly, Kimber uses a proprietary groove shape for their front sight blade. If the sight you bought wasn't specifically made for a Kimber, that is why it is loose. I wanted to swap out my sights on my Kimber Custom II some while back, and that is why I haven't attempted it myself. (besides how bloody hard you have to press on them to get them in or out... Many jokingly say they use a million pound press to install their sights)

RoundEye
08-23-2012, 1:45 PM
If I'm remembering correctly, Kimber uses a proprietary groove shape for their front sight blade. If the sight you bought wasn't specifically made for a Kimber, that is why it is loose. I wanted to swap out my sights on my Kimber Custom II some while back, and that is why I haven't attempted it myself. (besides how bloody hard you have to press on them to get them in or out... Many jokingly say they use a million pound press to install their sights)

Well, the TruGlo packaging says fits "most" Kimber models. Considering that all tr 1911s are different variations of the Custom II, you'd think it would fit them all. So Father's there has been no response from TruGlo via phone, email, or Facebook. He found a local GS that said he'll be able to make them fit for $20 and a few minutes. We'll report back once everything is settled.

Gatotsu77
08-23-2012, 3:32 PM
That is strange then... I do know that the Meprolight sights are marketed specifically for Kimber 1911's, but if TruGlo is claiming it should fit most Kimber models, they should be good to go. (I know Kimber uses a different shape/design for their guns with adjustable sights, but this shouldn't have that issue) I hope that your local gunsmith is able to get this straightened out right quick for you, and I'd be interested to see if you hear back from TruGlo, and what they say. Good luck!

RoundEye
08-23-2012, 4:24 PM
That is strange then... I do know that the Meprolight sights are marketed specifically for Kimber 1911's, but if TruGlo is claiming it should fit most Kimber models, they should be good to go. (I know Kimber uses a different shape/design for their guns with adjustable sights, but this shouldn't have that issue) I hope that your local gunsmith is able to get this straightened out right quick for you, and I'd be interested to see if you hear back from TruGlo, and what they say. Good luck!

He was able to get a local GS to peen the slide today which looks like it'll work.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/ZeroG21/CalGuns/A64FC49C-79B9-40AF-86A4-32C6A5F6FEC7-378-000000194E6C5DD2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/ZeroG21/CalGuns/2DB89E4A-DF5B-4112-9EF5-DB1399CC87A5-378-00000019492D5B08.jpg

We'll see if it holds at Saturday's IDPA match. TruGlo responded this afternoon saying that it sounds like there may be an issue and they would like the frot sight an slide sent to them for analysis, and they provided an RMA number. I don't know though, the piece was quality so unless their QC really sucks or they dropped the wrong front sight in te package, my guess is that they're all like this. Seeing how things go Saturday will determine the next course of action if any.

JTROKS
08-23-2012, 7:30 PM
Let me know how that peened dovetail works out please. I have done a front sight in that manner, but the front sight came off at the worst time. When metal is peened it usually holds until enough heat plays a role and may spring back towards the original shape. If you're shooting is under 20 rounds it might just hold. Try a rat-tat-tat 42 round stage in 102 degree weather and hope you'll find that front sight when it falls out. When you shot a couple of stages and for some reason you are missing too many targets - stop and check your front sight. Use red loctite just to make it hold for your match.

Swiss Guy
08-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I'll keep an eye on my front sight (no pun intended) tomorrow, but he did good work. I don't think it'll go anywhere.

trigger hippie
08-24-2012, 3:02 PM
I have a Custom II that I had a gunsmith install TruGlo TFOs on. I didn't experience any front sight problems like you're experiencing and I did use the Kimber-specific kit. Could it be the fault of the slide dovetail dimensions?

RoundEye
09-26-2012, 3:28 PM
Just an update the IDPA match was great. The Kimber, well....not so much. The front sight managed to stay put, but the rear.....well, I'll let you see for yourself.

vYU5AWiL5fI

Then when attempting to re-tighten the rear sight, the Allen screw broke off, and back to the gunsmith it went. Everything is fixed and back, and we'll see what happens at the next match.

I have a Custom II that I had a gunsmith install TruGlo TFOs on. I didn't experience any front sight problems like you're experiencing and I did use the Kimber-specific kit.

It could be the kit. But my guess is the your gsmith peened the front sight and just didn't tell you.

psango
09-26-2012, 5:13 PM
Red loctite! Several of my slides have had more than one sight change. No matter how tight they may seem, I still use the loctite and check them often.

prod39
09-26-2012, 5:32 PM
Sent my Raptor slide to Novak,,,,,,,,,perfection!

Timmm
09-26-2012, 5:37 PM
Called Kimber two wks. ago about changing out my nite sights on my Raptor to ajustable target sights. the Rep. explained to me that they would have to re-cut the slide as in dovetails to make the new ones fit at a cost 185$. For what it's worth.