PDA

View Full Version : Bay area folks, please help me.

fizzbuzz
08-22-2012, 7:58 PM
I'm a student at Stanford University and I want to own a gun. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Henry .22lr lever action, but that's not the issue. I know that bringing a gun to my dorm would be a felony and I'd rather not do that even if it weren't. I was wondering where I could store my firearm off campus. There are several ranges near my location, for example Reed's, Jackson Arms, Target Masters, Los Altos and Sunnyvale Rod and Gun, etc. Do any of these places have, say, lockers that I can rent out to store a gun? Would they allow me to clean the gun on the premises? Can I store ammo with said gun? I'd like to start shooting now as I saved up a fair share of money from my job but if it's too much of a hassle I guess I can start 3 years later.

Thank you.

spetsnaz
08-22-2012, 8:01 PM
Friends or family off site.

krby
08-22-2012, 8:24 PM
This won't work for your rifle, but for a handgun you could get a safe deposit box at a bank.

DRM6000
08-22-2012, 8:27 PM
Is it really a felony? I thought it was for K-12. You'd be expelled though.

Fadedline
08-22-2012, 8:32 PM
Reed's does. From their website:

"Store your firearms and equipment with us rent a storage locker
$20.00/month or $180.00/year...
Call the range for more details."

den888
08-22-2012, 8:35 PM
Yep, Reed's in Santa Clara has storage. None of the other local shops do, to the best of my knowledge.

fizzbuzz
08-22-2012, 9:54 PM
Hmm... I suppose Reed's will do nicely. I have no family or friends that aren't living in dorms or half a country away... so yeah. As for a felony, I think it is, and I'm not about to test it.

durandal
08-22-2012, 9:56 PM
Gun at college is legal if its in a locked case.

KWalkerM
08-22-2012, 9:58 PM
find someone you trust off campus. thats what i am doing, met the gun club prez and other staff and now i have a place to secure them.

kf6tac
08-22-2012, 9:58 PM
Is it really a felony? I thought it was for K-12. You'd be expelled though.

(i) Notwithstanding Section 12026, any person who brings or
possesses a firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or
buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching,
research, or administration by, a public or private university
or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked
university property, unless it is with the written permission
of the university or college president, his or her designee, or
equivalent university or college authority, shall be punished
by imprisonment in the state prison for one, two, or three
years.

rkt88edmo
08-22-2012, 10:07 PM
meh - storage fees = one cheap .22 rifle a year, wait 'til you are off campus I say.

Sheepdog1968
08-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Reeds is a very nice range. I shoot their quite a bit. Another approach, depending on how much you shoot is to just rent a firearm at Reeds each time you go there. No cost to purchase a firearm or monthly rental fees buys you a lot of rental firearms.

Having said that, I have a car in storage that is worth at most 5k that costs me 350 a month to store and it's been in storage for 3 years.

onegtalon
08-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Reeds has storage but call to be sure.... all the lockers I've seen is good for handguns but maybe not long guns... (again I may be wrong... call em)

Worse case... get a small storage area somewhere off site and pay the $60/month. (again call them don't quote me)

Good luck.

fighterpilot562
08-22-2012, 10:45 PM
For all that money to just store a .22? Idk...... You sure OP you got no one near by that will let you store it?

Librarian
08-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Gun at college is legal if its in a locked case.

Do read kf6tac's post of 626.9(i).

Zones - and the sloppy writing that includes campuses in zones - apply to K-12 only. Colleges are a whole 'nother can of worms.

See also the wiki article on GFSZ -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Gun_Free_School_Zones

tpuig
08-23-2012, 12:43 AM
If you bought a Ruger 10-22 take down, if would fit in a lot more places. That goes for a take down Marlin lever as well. Such as a smaller locker.

One solution besides Reed's that is close by is this...
http://losaltosvault.com/index.asp

It's only about 10 minutes away from you...

For the price and hours, Reeds is going to be hard to beat. Consider accessing your toy on evenings or weekends. Reeds is open, and you don't have to go anywhere else...

krby
08-23-2012, 5:50 AM
Reeds is a very nice range. I shoot their quite a bit. Another approach, depending on how much you shoot is to just rent a firearm at Reeds each time you go there. No cost to purchase a firearm or monthly rental fees buys you a lot of rental firearms.

Does Reed's rent to people without a buddy? I didn't think any of the Bay Area indoor ranges did that. You have to either bring a friend or carry in your own firearm before they'll rent to you. I believe they're trying to prevent someone from walking in, renting a firearm, and committing suicide with it on the range.

luvtolean
08-23-2012, 6:01 AM
Just rent until you either move off campus or graduate.

dwtt
08-23-2012, 6:02 AM
how come noone's mentioned getting a place off campus? I never lived in the dorms when I went to college, but then I worked and paid my own way.

Doh!, beat by one minute by the motorcycle guy.

durandal
08-23-2012, 8:05 AM
Do read kf6tac's post of 626.9(i).

Zones - and the sloppy writing that includes campuses in zones - apply to K-12 only. Colleges are a whole 'nother can of worms.

See also the wiki article on GFSZ -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Gun_Free_School_Zones

OK, only legal if you are transporting it.

fizzbuzz
08-23-2012, 9:20 AM
Well... it seems it is in fact too much of a hassle/cost to do so. So I guess that means I'll wait a couple of years before I start. Thanks for the input everybody.

tdyoung1958
08-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Get a locking hard guitar case, that's what I do since I'm not allowed to have "firearms" in my place of residence. I use a tennis one for my AR's. They fit nice and don't scare the sheople. I just use mine for transporting to and from.

Army
08-23-2012, 2:06 PM
Check with campus police. Many colleges have rules that allow storage at the university police dept. Permission to transport off and onto campus should come with that.

fizzbuzz
08-23-2012, 6:20 PM
Campus police will only hold a firearm if you desperately need to do so when moving or some bs like that I read. Rental spaces cost like, 60$/month for the cheapest so not sure if it's worth it. I guess I'll contact Reed's if they have space for rifles/collapsible rifles in their lockers.

10mm
08-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Why not call them yourself, after all your a Stanford student? Research it buddy. BTW Reed's does have lockers but probably too small for you needs.:cool:

calif 15-22
08-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Does Reed's rent to people without a buddy? I didn't think any of the Bay Area indoor ranges did that. You have to either bring a friend or carry in your own firearm before they'll rent to you. I believe they're trying to prevent someone from walking in, renting a firearm, and committing suicide with it on the range.

That is correct, you can't rent by yourself unless you have your own firearm with you.

Reed's rents M&P15-22s by the way. I shoot my M&P15-22 there all the time.

Get a buddy and go rent. Reed's is great during the weekdays and weekday nights. Stay away on the weekends as it gets crowded and iffy on type of shooters.

Oh and I would not bring a $250 gun to your $80Kyr in tuition school. Just saying :cool:

Good Luck . . .

Thefeeder
08-24-2012, 11:21 AM
If you want to shoot clays, there is Coyote Valley in Morgan hill....rents shotguns for cheap and a great place to shoot.

Sheepdog1968
08-24-2012, 2:21 PM
Oh and I would not bring a $250 gun to your $80Kyr in tuition school. Just saying :cool:

Good Luck . . .

I am in agreement on this point. Don't ruin the awesome education you will get. It's a private college, they can likely do whatever they want. If you own a gun, you will undoubtly tell someone and word will get out. Worse case scenario is to wait it out like you had to do to get your drivers license and to be of legal age to drink.

fizzbuzz
08-24-2012, 7:45 PM
That is correct, you can't rent by yourself unless you have your own firearm with you.

Reed's rents M&P15-22s by the way. I shoot my M&P15-22 there all the time.

Get a buddy and go rent. Reed's is great during the weekdays and weekday nights. Stay away on the weekends as it gets crowded and iffy on type of shooters.

Good Luck . . .

I get a full ride from Stanford =P It's absurdly cheap and makes more financial sense to go to Stanford than UC's if you make less than ~120k or something I've read.

But, your point still stands. Even though Stanford isn't close to Berkeley (yuck) in terms of insanity about guns I guess I still shouldn't risk it. Sigh, guess I'll wait. Does Coyote Point rent shotguns to those who don't own/ do they give classes? I've shot rifles and handguns but not shotguns before. Thanks for the input everybody.

krby
08-25-2012, 7:08 AM
Yes, Coyote Valley will rent shotguns to people by themselves. They don't have formal classes, but do have recommended instructors who you can setup time with. The wife and I did this many years and it was a great experience.

a1c
08-25-2012, 7:47 AM
how come noone's mentioned getting a place off campus? I never lived in the dorms when I went to college, but then I worked and paid my own way.

Doh!, beat by one minute by the motorcycle guy.

You must not be familiar with rent prices in the Palo Alto area. :D

MT1
08-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Why not call them yourself, after all your a Stanford student? Research it buddy. BTW Reed's does have lockers but probably too small for you needs.:cool:

"you're"

Don't be rude, I would consider asking questions on a message board a form of "research."

calif 15-22
08-25-2012, 1:16 PM
I get a full ride from Stanford =P It's absurdly cheap and makes more financial sense to go to Stanford than UC's if you make less than ~120k or something I've read.

But, your point still stands. Even though Stanford isn't close to Berkeley (yuck) in terms of insanity about guns I guess I still shouldn't risk it. Sigh, guess I'll wait. Does Coyote Point rent shotguns to those who don't own/ do they give classes? I've shot rifles and handguns but not shotguns before. Thanks for the input everybody.

Reed's rents 12ga remington 870s. You do need to bring a buddy though for all rentals.

GW
08-25-2012, 10:13 PM

THIS
Why bother with the expense of buying the gun AND storing it? Far easier just to rent a gun to get your shooting fix and wait on buying until you get an apartment or return home.

lonestarstate
08-26-2012, 2:00 AM
I will take good care of it for you!!! (I really would) But I wouldn't trust me if I were anyone else.

krby
08-26-2012, 6:30 AM
THIS
Why bother with the expense of buying the gun AND storing it? Far easier just to rent a gun to get your shooting fix and wait on buying until you get an apartment or return home.

Because of this:
You do need to bring a buddy though for all rentals.
Most indoor ranges in the Bay Area will not rent to you unless you show up with your own firearm or another person.

KillerRabbit
08-26-2012, 5:52 PM
It would be worth asking what their official policy is on campus. They may have storage provisions. Here is an interesting tidbit, my father was a graduate student there and we lived on campus around 1960. At that time there was an indoor range on campus.
KillerRabbit

onegtalon
08-26-2012, 6:22 PM
OP- I missed one of your original questions... Reed's will not allow you to clean any firearm in the building. Sorry if already answered.

Sent from my iPhone...

mrdd
08-28-2012, 12:46 AM
OK, only legal if you are transporting it.

Not true. Firearms are not allowed on college campuses or related properties at all in this state.

renardsubtil
08-28-2012, 9:06 AM
Why not disassemble it (remove the bolt) and keep it in a locked case on campus or in your car? If you're not doing anything illegal, the chances of you getting searched are 0 and even then the cops will find a disassembled firearm. You might also consult the campus police chief about this as well.

mrdd
08-29-2012, 3:28 AM
Why not disassemble it (remove the bolt) and keep it in a locked case on campus or in your car? If you're not doing anything illegal, the chances of you getting searched are 0 and even then the cops will find a disassembled firearm. You might also consult the campus police chief about this as well.

Disassembling it is pointless. A disassembled firearm is still a firearm, it will not get you out of trouble. Note that this offense is a felony wobbler, and even if prosecuted as a misdemeanor, prohibits firearm possession for 10 years in California. This is considered a serious offense by the law.