PDA

View Full Version : The absolute need for a taclight just hit me in the face

CK_32
08-22-2012, 7:41 PM
So I've always been you can live with and with out a taclight. I have purchased one with an 870 and it was nice but I still felt you could live with out it. Ended up selling it with the 870 and now don't have one..

Well just buying a safe and watching all these robbery videos my lights start to flicker.. And then everything goes out.. I'm watching my cousin (8 years old) and call out to him in the house and he doesn't answer and all of our doors are wide open.. So of course I get nervous and go for my glock in my dresser..

And guess what I couldn't see **** and fumble and try to fine it I get it and start walking around the house calling for my cousin and still nothing. I'm starting to worry a little and I go look for a flashlight in the living room.. Finally my cousin comes around and I still can't find the dam droor wih the light if someone was actually in the house I'd be f***ed about now.. On top of almost killing my self tripping over my dogs who were as confused and lost as I was..

Finally find a light and now I'm a tad worked up and case he house just to be sure and everything clear..

But I realized if someone cut my power or this did happen for SHTF kind of sh** (yes SHTF noobs now your interested...) I'd be pretty vonerable and a stumbling fool...

I hope reason this I can get some anti light guys to rethink because this was a huge lesson learned I am getting a tac light again and they are necessary to say the least for several applications. I'm just glad I learned this on a power outage and will be ready next time.. And not learn actually needing it.

Best part was I was fumbling in my droor picked up my glock and was like where the fu** is the taclight.. Then I was like FML I sold it!

jmzhwells
08-22-2012, 7:46 PM
Not sure if drunk!!

guitar-nut
08-22-2012, 7:51 PM
I also came around to wanting a weapon mounted light on any defensive weapon I own after a particularly scary incident.

About six months ago I heard a loud noise in my pool yard and my dog started freaking out. I grabbed my AK-74, chambered a round, and went to investigate. The pool yard was dark (even with a light over the sliding glass door) and I couldn't see much. After several minutes of intent watching and waiting in the direction of the noise (behind the pool's waterfall), the culprit made an appearance. It was a mountain lion and he'd been staring at me for several minutes while I tried to figure out what was in that dark corner of the yard. It scared the **** out of me and I backed slowly into the house.

I will never investigate something like that without a weapon light again. Ever. Weapon lights are now a requirement.

Josh3239
08-22-2012, 7:52 PM
I always have a similiar moment when we get a power outtages. Luckily I now have a little Nebo that is actually works quite well that sits on my dresser. Light attached or unattached to my always nearby handgun works nicely for me. Still saving pennies for a good Surefire and/or a TLR.

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
08-22-2012, 8:10 PM
I finally broke down and bought a tac light and I've very glad I did. It is hand held, 250 lumens on high, has a 50% and 10% modes, S.O.S. and strobe (high power). In broad daylight, the strobe is blinding. At night, get hit in the eyes with this thing and you won't be seeing anything for a while. About the size of a roll of nickels and has a magnetic base.

I'm not a big fan of weapon mounted lights but I'm sure they have their place. I just prefer the flexibility of a hand held light.

mannyo747
08-22-2012, 8:13 PM
That's a mind ***k if I've ever heard one. I never been a fan of Tac-lights but now I'm seeing the necessity of it.

thenodnarb
08-22-2012, 8:33 PM
I carry a surefire in my pocket ALWAYS. I use it every day. If you were looking for your cousin in the dark, it might not be a good idea to be pointing a weapon at him at the same time, if for no other reason than it looks bad to neighbors in the front yard. A small flashlight or penlight would be all you need, and you can keep the glock pointed down or out of sight when you are in the front yard.

CK_32
08-22-2012, 8:43 PM
It was no where near him I had it pointing down on the floor loose grip just walking with it i wasn't scanning the house because I knew he was around some where.

I was more just wondering where he was than actually convinced he was gone. But if someone was in the house I was ready to react..

caldude
08-22-2012, 8:46 PM
I've picked up several of the 3 pack Cree LED flashlights from Costco ($19.99). Decent enough lights, and have one in just about every room and vehicle. I prefer a handheld flashlight over a weapon mounted light since I never know what the light will be pointing at.

snubbyfan
08-22-2012, 8:48 PM
I keep those small cheap led flashlights around the house for just such an occasion. Came in really handy during the last power outage. No fumbling around for my gun or a flashlight.

morfeeis
08-22-2012, 9:19 PM
I have six flashlights stashed around the house, i check their batteries about every two months. Screw tac lights and just get a bunch of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/A0723-Black-Aluminum-Flashlight-Strength-Light-2x-18650-AC-DC-car-adaptor-/300766432499?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4607138cf3#ht_3137wt_924). A calgunner told me about these a while back, they work great just make sure you stock up on 18650 batteries.

SilverTauron
08-22-2012, 9:24 PM
I keep a flashlight on the nightstand for this and many other reasons.

A dedicated rail-mounted light makes sense for duty useage, but for a citizens needs a separate light allows for investigation of problems without pointing a loaded weapon at stuff you don't want to destroy.

Montu
08-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I keep a flashlight on the nightstand for this and many other reasons.

A dedicated rail-mounted light makes sense for duty useage, but for a citizens needs a separate light allows for investigation of problems without pointing a loaded weapon at stuff you don't want to destroy.

my tlr1s will illuminate a room just pointed at the floor...Also with a tac light you just grab the gun and go..not pick up 2 things..and lastly 2 hands on the weapon is better then 1.

Although I have a gun mounted light..I also do keep a 120 lumen light right next to it in case I just want a light.

SURVIVOR619
08-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Did you ever discover the cause of the power loss?

CK_32
08-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Nope not yet.. It was weird tho first it was half my side of the street then came on and then off and was the whole neighborhood then 10 min later I get a call from my uncle just down the street and said his went out just a second ago and wondered if ours went out. No zap no flash no sirans nothin. My dad did say he saw workers on the power lines down the street this morning.

And for those wondering why I got so sketched out over a simple power outage I've had a few cars stolen by and from my house one actually the driveway.my window frames are bent on some bedroom windows.. And the other day some guy was riding my a** and followed me home and slowly passed my house several times staring at the house pissed off.. Actually loaded my 870 and stood by the window watching him.

Crazy f**king people out there..

SURVIVOR619
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
There's been some good advice in your thread. You should have a few lights around the house as you may be in one part, not next to your safe or firearm and need to get there first.

I have one in every room and a damn lantern in the hall closet, ready to roll!

Ergo the Qualmed
08-23-2012, 12:06 PM
TLR on the G19 will illuminate everything whilst pointed at the floor...

And I wonder what it's like to have to keep the gun at the ready, AND keep everything illuminated, AND make a phonecall to emergency services at the same time?

I don't have 3 hands, so a weapon-mounted light makes super-sense to me, if only for the ability to illuminate AND talk on the phone at the same time.

Fadedline
08-23-2012, 12:08 PM
I also prefer hand held lights. I'm a flashlight nerd so I have lights everywhere in the house.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xmx5nb5rts0/TE2pImmxK4I/AAAAAAAAAq0/1mJQE9c7ctA/s1600/Light+Tech+Harries.jpg

bill_k_lopez
08-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Never understood why so many here always feel the need to grab a weapon at the first sign of nothing.

Not trollin' just not understanding how power outage = immediate self defense mode with a child wandering around the house.

SilverTauron
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Never understood why so many here always feel the need to grab a weapon at the first sign of nothing.

Not trollin' just not understanding how power outage = immediate self defense mode with a child wandering around the house.

Unlike being on the street, situational awareness at home is drastically decreased. On Martin Luther King Blvd, you're in Condition Yellow looking for trouble-and can react should you see it coming.

In your home the first warning of trouble is a brick through the window or a boot on the deadbolt. By the time the homeowner actually realizes trouble is afoot, the bad guy's already gained entry. Should a crook await downstairs they won't be nice enough to wait for you to head back upstairs to get the 12 gauge.

Hence I go about my home armed at all times. When I get a 100% accurate crystal ball that tells me when Joe Felony's paying me a house call, ill leave the 1911 in my closet.

Curley Red
08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
If I was a bad guy and saw a light coming towards me, your light makes the perfect target. That is why I will never use a light. Just my personal opinion on the whole light thing.

frankm
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Meh, I can see in the dark.

CK_32
08-23-2012, 2:07 PM

Read my post about 5 posts above yours I explain why I was jumpy. That's a very good reason to be worried with a kid running around the house. Now if I was gun drawn corner peaking and combat searching the house that's a different story. Again I was calm and gun down relaxed just ready if need be. Wasn't looking for any trouble but ready if trouble was looking for me.

If I was a bad guy and saw a light coming towards me, your light makes the perfect target. That is why I will never use a light. Just my personal opinion on the whole light thing.

Go out to the desert and hook up a target and have a switch light above the target you'll be surprised at how well a good flash light will throw you off.. Grab an air soft gun and have a buddy stand in a dark spot and spot you with it.. You'll be lucky to hit them.. It throws your whole perception off not just blinds you. It almost tricks the mind into confusion especially if your not expecting it

bigbearbear
08-23-2012, 2:50 PM
Most people are in far greater danger of falling and hurting themselves during a power failure, then say, being invaded by intruders.

I think everyone should have one or more of these at home:
http://www.amazon.com/GE-11096-Nightlight-Portable-Flashlight/dp/B0015HKGTC/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1345761997&sr=1-9&keywords=Automatic+power+failure+light

They light up when the power goes out, giving you enough light to work with and you can unplug it to use as a flash light.

tradecraft
08-23-2012, 2:51 PM
Flashlight app on your phone...

hdvss
08-23-2012, 3:24 PM
After going through a few blackouts, I keep several flashlights around the house.

Just upgraded a surefire 9P and several old maglites with Malkoff LED dropins... super bright, with longer run times.

Sniper3142
08-23-2012, 3:46 PM
I always have a flashlight on me (if fully dressed) or nearby.

ALWAYS.

A flashlight is on my EDC list along with a knife/multitool.

Even one of the cheap LED keychain ones like the Photon II Micro-light is better than nothing.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319XMLYgVhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In this day and age, there really is no excuse for not having one.

stix213
08-23-2012, 3:50 PM
If you had to defend yourself at home, it will most likely be at night. So yeah, any gun I'd use for SD at home already has a light on it.

RuggedJay
08-23-2012, 3:51 PM
Remember a flashlight works both ways.

norcal.xd
08-23-2012, 4:08 PM
flashlights always come in handy. unless im the only one born without nite vision. j/k seriously though i always carry a flashlight. it can be used in alot of ways, even defensive purposes.

norcal.xd
08-23-2012, 4:16 PM

imo, thats why i like tactical flishlights with the push on/off button on the back, so i can use my flashlight to identify the target before shooting. plus flashing a bright light in someones eyes in the dark would blind them and hopefully disable them enough to get the hell outta dodge.

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
08-23-2012, 5:20 PM
imo, thats why i like tactical flishlights with the push on/off button on the back, so i can use my flashlight to identify the target before shooting. plus flashing a bright light in someones eyes in the dark would blind them and hopefully disable them enough to get the hell outta dodge.

I can't imagine how blind I'd be if I got hit in the eyes with the spot beam of my tac light? 250 Lumens from near zero lux. I wouldn't think turning and running away would be an option; turning and running into things would probably be more like it. It could also be used as a striking tool should it come to that.

The one disadvantage I think a weapons mounted lite has is you are always pointing a loaded weapon at whatever you are illuminating. 99.9% of the time, it's not likely to be something you want to shoot. It also indicates the location of your weapon. When I hold my light over my head, it's almost 8 feet off the ground (kinda tall). One point that was made earlier, not having three hands, is a good argument for having a weapon mounted light. But I think I could work around that.

Of course, this is all speculation, at least on my part. My light has yet to illuminate anything or anyone intent on doing me harm.

voiceofreason
08-23-2012, 8:16 PM
I like weapon mounted lights for HD.

I like to keep a small flashlight next to EVERY handgun in ready condition for HD.

Always carry a tac light with you when carrying on your person.

I have at least one cheapie (Home Depot is where I got them) Brinkmann headlamp handing from a nail at about 6' next to the door of every room in the house.

In darkness, it's always easy to find a light.

Used them more than 8 times since we implemented it.

I like to keep shoes in duffel bags under the bed too. Glass everywhere after earthquake/storm/etc.

Lifeon2whls
08-23-2012, 8:29 PM
Whenever I lock up at night I walk through the house in the dark. I can do so with no light on and I know my way around. It comes in handy when the power goes out, you think you hear noises, etc. When I was young I was taught to hike through the mountains without flashlights and the same principals apply here.

CK_32
08-23-2012, 8:29 PM
I think the best is having one hand held no doubt. But if the funds habit on on the weapon as well.. If just a simple use for light hand held.. Think there's a serious threat weapon light..

Or both and use which ever depending on what the thing needing to be out up is.. Of course after firing a few hundred rounds through your firearm.. I know some weapon lights because of the weight tend to make some guns unreliable.

thenodnarb
08-23-2012, 8:44 PM
When my dad was with the police department, they taught him to hold the light far away from your body so that it doesn't become a target. Can't do that with a weapon mounted light. That said, I have both.

I've also heard some people say to use a flashlight with a momentary button so you can turn it on quickly and off quickly. A 1/4 second sweep of the room/hallway/ outside will reveal what you are looking for without creating a target.

Miked83
08-23-2012, 9:48 PM
Went camping with some buddies and I had a blast doing night shooting with my Surefire X400. With the flip of a switch, targets in pitch black darkness can not hide from you.

Excitable Boy
08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I always have a flashlight on me (if fully dressed) or nearby.

ALWAYS.

A flashlight is on my EDC list along with a knife/multitool.

Even one of the cheap LED keychain ones like the Photon II Micro-light is better than nothing.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319XMLYgVhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In this day and age, there really is no excuse for not having one.

What he said. Around the house I carry a single AA Fenix light with a rechargeable battery. It's good for 120 Lumens which is plenty bright to screw up someone's night vision. Having a flashlight in my pocket at all times only makes sense in Earthquake country. Having a Surefire fore end on my shottie and their X300 on my carbine allow me more options, but the light in my pocket gets used all the time.

DEVOREGUNNER
08-23-2012, 10:14 PM
It's like everything in life "Practice makes perfect". If you don't practice with your light you are at a disadvantage the first time you need it. Know what your light will do and just as important what it will not do before you need it in an emergency.

blazeaglory
08-23-2012, 10:23 PM
I finally broke down and bought a tac light and I've very glad I did. It is hand held, 250 lumens on high, has a 50% and 10% modes, S.O.S. and strobe (high power). In broad daylight, the strobe is blinding. At night, get hit in the eyes with this thing and you won't be seeing anything for a while. About the size of a roll of nickels and has a magnetic base.

I'm not a big fan of weapon mounted lights but I'm sure they have their place. I just prefer the flexibility of a hand held light.

What brand? I am looking for a good tac light. I have a mag light now that I keep next to the bed on a table but I wanted something a little smaller and brighter than my normal maglite. I waas thinking about buying a professional rechargeable maglite but I want the strobe feature.

xtra870
08-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Sounds like a redline i have the same one and love it and at $30 is a steal

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
08-24-2012, 5:58 AM
Sounds like a redline i have the same one and love it and at $30 is a steal

Excellent guess! I got both of mine at Ammo Depot in Rancho Cordova. (I think that was a shameless plug! No, I don't work there or have any financial interest in their business.)

bill_k_lopez
08-24-2012, 6:27 AM
Read my post about 5 posts above yours I explain why I was jumpy. That's a very good reason to be worried with a kid running around the house.

No its not, but I guess in your world it is..

Crazy f**king people out there..

Couldn't have said it better myself (see SilverTauron quote below, and make sure to remember what it says in my sig...)

Unlike being on the street, situational awareness at home is drastically decreased. On Martin Luther King Blvd, you're in Condition Yellow looking for trouble-and can react should you see it coming.

In your home the first warning of trouble is a brick through the window or a boot on the deadbolt. By the time the homeowner actually realizes trouble is afoot, the bad guy's already gained entry. Should a crook await downstairs they won't be nice enough to wait for you to head back upstairs to get the 12 gauge.

Hence I go about my home armed at all times. When I get a 100% accurate crystal ball that tells me when Joe Felony's paying me a house call, ill leave the 1911 in my closet.

FalconLair
08-24-2012, 7:41 AM
weapon mounted lighting creates limits...if you want the true lighting experience during one of your dark encounters I suggest the MINERS HELMET LIGHT...yes, keep one of these on your drawtop and you'll never again feel overwhelmed or at a disadvantage when the lights go out...this helmet light gives you the freedom to continue using both hands while moving about the house, while also giving you the ultimate chance for maintaining safe gun control

no true pro-gunner should be without the MINERS HELMET LIGHT, after all, what good will all those years of range training do you when the SHTF and you can't see? Nobody wants to come into this forum with their "fail" story, based on the fact that they couldn't see in the dark

Be a success, prepare yourself right for the ultimate home defense story on calguns, because, after all, this is where it all counts :)

http://i45.tinypic.com/2eybdrb.jpg
this helmet can also be worn while you sleep and comes in handy during an earthquake

ArkinDomino
08-24-2012, 10:16 AM
My primary go-to weapons for self defense all have surefires (mini scouts and X300s). I also have many other sorts of lights (more surefires because I was addicted to buying them for a while) all throughout the house stashed away.

BRANCHER
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
You should always have a flashlights available, We live in earthquake country.

But I don't think a weapon-light is a bad thing... Although the only ones I use are on shotguns and rifles, however I use the Rodgers hold with my 1911 and combat light and practice it on the range at least twice a year.

I have know more than 1 person where they have had issues with burglary... they shut off your houses power (and even have cut off lock) and main panel (outside of your house). One was confronted outside when going to check the breakers... Luckily he was armed and also had his 2 great danes with him. The other was woken up once they had entered the house and fled once they realized he was armed (with an 870 with surefire forend light on it).

Best thing about lights. Letting you know your target.

rabagley
08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
I always have a good LED flashlight in my pocket with a freshly charged battery. Part of my morning ritual.

I have bought a lot of cheap chinese-made flashlights through the years, my current EDC is one of these (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-p10-r5-cree-xr-g-r5-5-mode-350-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-18650-42972). Will tailstand, no sharp edges to tear up pockets, bright, lasts 2-3 hours on a charge, doesn't look aggressive so doesn't attract undue attention when I take it out at work or other locations.

I also have a Streamlight TLR-2s on my shotgun. Found that for actual mounting on a weapon, I needed the real deal.

SilverTauron
08-24-2012, 12:07 PM
No its not, but I guess in your world it is..

Couldn't have said it better myself (see SilverTauron quote below, and make sure to remember what it says in my sig...)

Is it your implication that I am paranoid for being armed in my own home?:rolleyes:

If so , you are a person in need of education regarding how criminals operate in real life.

RedFord150
08-24-2012, 1:02 PM
I keep a small Maglite on the nightstands and in the glove compartment of each car. I keep a handheld Tac Light next to my glasses and just above my nightstand safe.
A friend of mine was military LEO and he taught me to keep my flashlight in my 'off hand' stretched all the way out from my body. The military taught him during Vietnam that flashlights make a great target for your adversary. Luckily, I rarely have to practice this.
Power failures happen a lot more than break-ins. Be ready.

RuggedJay
08-24-2012, 2:09 PM
^^^flashlight is a bullet magnet in a nightime gunfight. U have to use it intermittently only when necessary.

Army
08-24-2012, 2:15 PM
I've got lights in just about every corner of the house, and a few more stratigically placed. I need but 2-3 steps to secure plenty of lumens for the bumps in the night.

I am a big Fenix fan (fenixstore.com). From 40 lumen AAA models to the 800+ lumen TK-45 for lighting up the entire neighborhood. Weapons lights, truck lights, pocket lights, key ring, I've got'em all. I just ordered an upgrade of the TK15 that will push 400 lumens to 225yds.