PDA

View Full Version : CA vs Texas handgun laws

KDTS
08-22-2012, 6:49 PM
Alright, so a friend of mine is moving to Texas in a week to start a new job. He would like to get a handgun before he moves from his brother, but he doesn't have 10 days to wait for the CA transfer. Can his brother send him the gun right away, or let him "borrow" it until he gets to Texas then re-register it through an FFL? Does Texas have a handgun registry? If not, how does his brother remove his name from the gun so he isn't liable for what happens to it (worst case scenario)?

I know this is (obviously) a California based forum, but if anyone knows Texas gun laws, it would help out. Thanks in advance.

zfields
08-22-2012, 6:56 PM
If its transfered in CA, there will be a 10 day wait. No registry in tx. Pretty much as soon as he gets an ID, he can buy a gun here. I tried with a paper ID and it was a no go.

KDTS
08-22-2012, 7:21 PM
If there's no registration, can he just bring the gun his brother wants to give him with him when he moves?

zfields
08-22-2012, 8:21 PM
If there's no registration, can he just bring the gun his brother wants to give him with him when he moves?

No, because the brother would be transferring it to him in CA, which requires a 10 day wait.

morfeeis
08-22-2012, 8:40 PM
Is his brother in CA or TX?

KDTS
08-22-2012, 9:08 PM
I guess the possible loophole I can imagine is if his brother "loaned him the gun for <30 days" and then transferred??? After the move? Once in Texas, is there a transfer that needs to take place even though Texas doesn't require registration of handguns? I know it's definitely in the "iffy at best" category, but was just wondering if someone who knows Texas gun laws had any insight.

KDTS
08-22-2012, 9:08 PM
His brother is in CA, btw.

zfields
08-22-2012, 9:12 PM
I guess the possible loophole I can imagine is if his brother "loaned him the gun for <30 days" and then transferred??? After the move? Once in Texas, is there a transfer that needs to take place even though Texas doesn't require registration of handguns? I know it's definitely in the "iffy at best" category, but was just wondering if someone who knows Texas gun laws had any insight.

It would have to be transfered through a FFL, which in tx is only about 25 bucks. But he would have to have his ID either way to be a resident of TX.

Sorry bud, no loophole. Honestly, the DMV here is quick, if he gets his car titled/registered and bring it to DMV, he will have his ID card in about a week. Then just walk into cableas/academy/bass pro and walk out with whatever he wants.

morfeeis
08-22-2012, 9:12 PM
His brother is in CA, btw.
well there went my idea....

KDTS
08-22-2012, 9:21 PM
Fair enough, I'll let him know. Thanks guys.

MisplacedTexan
08-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Perhaps I am missing something - but why would you want a CA "safe" gun over one you can purchase in TX ("normal" mags et all?). Why the rush?

safewaysecurity
08-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Tell him to just take the gun with him to Texas. Easy, problem solved.

zfields
08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Tell him to just take the gun with him to Texas. Easy, problem solved.

And illegal

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

daybreak
08-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Can't his brother transfer it from an FFL in CA to an FFL in Texas?

joev2340
08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
he's better off just buying something nice in texas. the only wait there will be on his new state id

Silverback
08-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Alright, so a friend of mine is moving to Texas in a week to start a new job. He would like to get a handgun before he moves from his brother, but he doesn't have 10 days to wait for the CA transfer. Can his brother send him the gun right away, or let him "borrow" it until he gets to Texas then re-register it through an FFL? Does Texas have a handgun registry? If not, how does his brother remove his name from the gun so he isn't liable for what happens to it (worst case scenario)?

I know this is (obviously) a California based forum, but if anyone knows Texas gun laws, it would help out. Thanks in advance.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/

Check out this link. A lot of good Tx information in it. They have a group of legal eagles similar to CalGuns. (Don't they all?) I hold a Tx concealed weapons permit and have been with family during the purchase precess of a firearm. Easy! They make one phone call and if you are not on the list you carry the gun out the door.:43:

zfields
08-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Can't his brother transfer it from an FFL in CA to an FFL in Texas?

yes, but he has to wait to get a TX ID.

zfields
08-23-2012, 12:13 PM
http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/

Check out this link. A lot of good Tx information in it. They have a group of legal eagles similar to CalGuns. (Don't they all?) I hold a Tx concealed weapons permit and have been with family during the purchase precess of a firearm. Easy! They make one phone call and if you are not on the list you carry the gun out the door.:43:

No phone call if you have a TX CHL, walk in, walk out after filling out a 4473.

Silverback
08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
No phone call if you have a TX CHL, walk in, walk out after filling out a 4473.

You are right! They didn't have the permit and I am not a resident of Tx. (Yet!):43:

fanof1911forlife
08-23-2012, 4:54 PM
Transferer and transferee complete Bill of Sale and document the make and model the gun along with its serial number while leaving the address of transferee until it can be provided. Transferee takes possession of gun out of state and provide a copy of his TX ID to his brother. Upon receipt of transferee's ID, transferer file NLIP document to CA DOJ and attach copy of BoS with transferee's new TX ID.

Transferee involvement with CA DOJ is raise his hand with his middle finger fully extended.

Hope I didn't repeat if someone else already said the same thing.

zfields
08-23-2012, 5:23 PM
Except that a CA resident cant sell a gun that way. A CA resident needs to go through a CA FFL to sell to another CA resident.

If one is a CA resident, and the other a TX resident, it has to be sent to a TX FFL.

TX to TX, can just meet in a homedepot parking lot and hand it off if they want.

fanof1911forlife
08-23-2012, 5:37 PM
Except that a CA resident cant sell a gun that way. A CA resident needs to go through a CA FFL to sell to another CA resident.

If one is a CA resident, and the other a TX resident, it has to be sent to a TX FFL.

TX to TX, can just meet in a homedepot parking lot and hand it off if they want.

the ca resident who is buying a handgun is the one that doj's trying disarmed. Ca seller is no longer armed and won't be much of a threat to this oppressor.

Librarian
08-23-2012, 7:43 PM
Transferer and transferee complete Bill of Sale and document the make and model the gun along with its serial number while leaving the address of transferee until it can be provided. Transferee takes possession of gun out of state and provide a copy of his TX ID to his brother. Upon receipt of transferee's ID, transferer file NLIP document to CA DOJ and attach copy of BoS with transferee's new TX ID.

Transferee involvement with CA DOJ is raise his hand with his middle finger fully extended.

Hope I didn't repeat if someone else already said the same thing.

Can't legally transfer brother to brother without CA FFL.

Once out of CA, CA DOJ doesn't care.

Proper solution is already suggested: since he doesn't have time to follow CA law, wait until he gets to TX and follow TX law.