PDA

View Full Version : $50 Centerpoint scopes at Wallyworld

whipkiller
08-22-2012, 6:18 PM
I just saw that my local Walmart has these in-store now, they used to be online only.

I seem to remember hearing some of you Marlin 795 guys giving them good reviews, yes?

3-9X32mm = $49.95

whipkiller
08-22-2012, 7:22 PM
I think it's this one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-3-9x32mm-Scope/10248649

thenodnarb
08-22-2012, 9:43 PM
I have a $70 centerpoint from walmart. It works fine, and has a lot of features. However, at max magnification, it is pretty fuzzy. I'd rather have a $150 scope with good glass. If I just didn't have the money, I think I'd choose a 4x fixed scope that had the best glass I could afford.

drunktank
08-22-2012, 10:13 PM
I use mine for 50 & 100yd plinking, back and forth at those two ranges.

After 4k ish rounds it still hold zero well. Hope this helps.

whipkiller
08-23-2012, 9:31 AM
So I'm sure I remember people giving good reviews on a scope from Walmart for the 795; is this not the one?

Gatotsu77
08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I still own a Centerpoint 4-16x40 I bought originally for my pellet rifle quite some time ago. When I bought my Savage Mark II BTVS, I mounted it up and used it for a good while on that rifle. I've since spent the money to get a Hawke 6-24x44 Varmint for the BTVS, and have the Centerpoint hanging around as a backup. While the Centerpoint is definitely nice for $70, and you can most certainly see your targets out beyond 200 yards, it does not come close to the clarity of the Hawke, which came in at ~$200.

TacticalPlinker
08-23-2012, 12:55 PM
If you're looking for a cheap scope, get the CenterPoint. I have the 3-9x32mm version for my 10/22. I've had it for 2-3 years now, works just fine. I'd like to eventually upgrade to something better, but for what I paid, it does the job and holds up just fine.

Furncliff
08-23-2012, 3:52 PM
I have/had three Centerpoint scopes two I bought new at Walmart one I bought used at a pawn shop. I destroyed the 3-9 by mounting it on a HP4595. One of the lenses just came un-glued and rattled around in the tube. The other two both 4-16 with AO are working fine. One is used for working up loads so it gets passed from rifle to rifle the other is on a Marlin 60. For what they cost they will do the job. At least for a while. There is supposedly a good warrantee, but I did not save my receipt, so I'll eat the bad one. The one with AO may be better in that you'll be able to adjust for parallax.. handy when shooting a rimfire.

For a bit more you can buy a Weaver and get better glass.

Ogre8472
08-24-2012, 5:25 AM
Thus far im happy with my Center Point 6-24x50 and. 4-16x44. The second i bought from Wally world and its claimed plenty of ground squirrels already. For the price i paid for each the performance thus far has me convinced that its good enough for the field and fine for my needs at the range.
I was looking at their 3-9x32 but the lack of an adjustable objective is annoying to me.

whipkiller
08-24-2012, 7:18 AM
So is 4-16X to much for a .22?

TacticalPlinker
08-24-2012, 7:37 AM
So is 4-16X to much for a .22?

It should be just about perfect. The next scope I buy for my 10/22 will be in the neighborhood of 4-16x. I think 3-9x is just a bit too restrictive for outdoor use at longer distances. On that note, the CenterPoint does have an adjustable focus which comes in handy when you're adjust magnification.

Xtracrispy
08-24-2012, 7:41 AM
I have the 4-16x40 on my bolt action .22 squirrel gun. Above 10-12 it gets kinda foggy sometimes, but it works pretty well overall.

Compared to a $40 4x32 Bushnell .22 scope I also got from WalMart, It is of similar clarity up to about 8-10(actually pretty clear).

I think it's a good .22 scope. Don't count on being able to regularly use the highest zoom but it is a decent price, and works well.
Note: It is a big and heavy scope.

TacticalPlinker
08-24-2012, 7:48 AM
Compared to a $40 4x32 Bushnell .22 scope I also got from WalMart, It is of similar clarity up to about 6-8(actually pretty clear).

I have the same 4x Bushnell scope as well. It works fine for distances where 4x is still acceptable. But what's weird with mine, the top and side turrets are mislabeled. One day I could not figure out why it would not get zeroed, then I figured out the way top and side turret are actually moving in the wrong direction indicated by the label on them. So for example, top turret says left to right but it actually moves up and down, or vise versa.

That said, I actually think the CenterPoint is a better all around scope than the Bushnell. I also have a CenterPoint red-dot, it's bulky but works just fine. I have a second smaller red-dot I've not used yet, but it's also CenterPoint and seems just as well constructed, and again a solid price point.

I'm not an advocate of cheap China made Wal-Mart crap, but even though I love to hate them, these things just work. They do what they are supposed to do despite their manufacture and price point.

k1dude
08-24-2012, 1:32 PM
Like Gatotsu77, I received a Centerpoint 4-16x40 with my pellet gun. It was DOA out of the box. The crosshairs were frozen and would not move. So I sent it back and got a new one. The new one had sticky liquid leaking from the objective bell. I sent it back for a third one. The third one is also DOA out of the box. The crosshairs are once again frozen.

I'm 0 for 3 and I'm sick of blowing my time, effort, and money boxing up and shipping these damn Centerpoint scopes back. So I'm throwing in the towel and looking for something better.

I can't recommend Centerpoint to anyone based on my experience.

whipkiller
08-24-2012, 6:33 PM
Well just went to get the 4-16X40 after work and they were out.

Must be a sign.

A sign that it's a good deal and I should go back again tomorrow.:D

whipkiller
08-26-2012, 7:32 PM
So I went to a different WM today and got the Center Point 4-16X40. Now I need to mount it on that nifty little dovetail on the 795:mad:

What are you Marlin guys having the best luck with? Do I buy dovetail rings, or use a dovetail to Weaver adapter rail?

In playing around with it outside today I'm pretty happy so far with the clarity and zoom, I think this will make my old eyes very happy.

Peter.Steele
08-26-2012, 7:46 PM
I've got a 4-16x40 (x44?) on my 10/22. It's done great for the past 3-4 years or so. No complaints, and the squirrels have learned to fear it.

whipkiller
08-27-2012, 1:19 PM
So if I buy a different set of rings to mount this on the Marlin 795, does anybody know what height I need? Is medium enough or do I need tall?

And which ones are people getting the best results with? I know these Marlins are known for having problems with scopes walking.

LOW2000
08-27-2012, 7:16 PM
Different price point, but I am very happy with my Mueller APT 4.5-14x40mm with butler creek flip ups and an MGM Switchview throw lever. I have it set up on a 10/22 Target Tactical with Larue rings and Larue rail and it is repeatable after removal, clear, and with a functionally stock rifle otherwise somewhat boring in its accuracy.

Izzy43
08-27-2012, 7:57 PM
So if I buy a different set of rings to mount this on the Marlin 795, does anybody know what height I need? Is medium enough or do I need tall?

And which ones are people getting the best results with? I know these Marlins are known for having problems with scopes walking.

This mount will (should) stop the scope from doing any walking. I use one of these on a Marlin 60 that suffers from the same walking issue. Not sure about the height that you need, medium or high. Measure the outside diameter of the front AO bell. Lets say its 2". Divide that by 1/2= 1". The tube diameter is 1". Divide that by 1/2= 1/2". Subtract 1/2" from 1"=1/2" which is the amount you need to raise the scope and just have the front of the AO bell touch the barrel. Add 1/8" for clearance and you need to raise the scope 5/8" in order to clear the barrel. The high mount will work, not sure about the medium. Depends on how hight the top of the dovetail groove is about the top of the barrel.

http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=Scope_Ring&level2=1_Inch_Ring&itemno=RGPM2PA-25H4&status=&mtrack=12m1

whipkiller
08-27-2012, 10:23 PM
This mount will (should) stop the scope from doing any walking. I use one of these on a Marlin 60 that suffers from the same walking issue. Not sure about the height that you need, medium or high. Measure the outside diameter of the front AO bell. Lets say its 2". Divide that by 1/2= 1". The tube diameter is 1". Divide that by 1/2= 1/2". Subtract 1/2" from 1"=1/2" which is the amount you need to raise the scope and just have the front of the AO bell touch the barrel. Add 1/8" for clearance and you need to raise the scope 5/8" in order to clear the barrel. The high mount will work, not sure about the medium. Depends on how hight the top of the dovetail groove is about the top of the barrel.

http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=Scope_Ring&level2=1_Inch_Ring&itemno=RGPM2PA-25H4&status=&mtrack=12m1

That kinda' makes my head hurt.:(

What scope do you have on your 60? With the flip-up covers on mine measures about 2 5/16" - let's call it 2 3/8" for clearance and ease of math since my head already hurts.

So half of that is 1 3/16", umm, carry the one, yup - sounds like I need the high one.

Izzy43
08-27-2012, 10:49 PM
That kinda' makes my head hurt.:(

What scope do you have on your 60? With the flip-up covers on mine measures about 2 5/16" - let's call it 2 3/8" for clearance and ease of math since my head already hurts.

So half of that is 1 3/16", umm, carry the one, yup - sounds like I need the high one.

My 60 wears a Prostaff 4x32mm, no AO so a different animal all together. So without further math, you need the high rings with an AO that size. I used to have that Centerpoint scope and for the $$$ its an OK scope.

lonestarstate
08-27-2012, 11:54 PM
I never had a problem with them. I had one on my ar-15 until I saved enough for a good RDS.

whipkiller
08-28-2012, 8:05 AM
My 60 wears a Prostaff 4x32mm, no AO so a different animal all together. So without further math, you need the high rings with an AO that size. I used to have that Centerpoint scope and for the $$$ its an OK scope.

Thanks Izzy, your formula got me headed in the right direction, though I did have to read it over a few times to wrap my little pea-brain around it.

I ordered the high one last night.

Izzy43
08-28-2012, 8:51 AM
Thanks Izzy, your formula got me headed in the right direction, though I did have to read it over a few times to wrap my little pea-brain around it.

I ordered the high one last night.

It wasn't original thought on my part. I had to think it over a few times myself when a fellow on Rimfirecentral.com sent it to me. Good luck with the scope.

whipkiller
08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
It wasn't original thought on my part. I had to think it over a few times myself when a fellow on Rimfirecentral.com sent it to me. Good luck with the scope.

Thanks, I think my old eyes will be much happier.

I love these little Marlins, but their stock sights leave much to be desired.

Annex138
08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a 4-16x40 mounted to my marlin 795 with a Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount. It's held up well for the last 3 years. Centerpoint scopes are not the best but if it ever fails just return it to Walmart for a new one.

whipkiller
08-28-2012, 12:25 PM
I have a 4-16x40 mounted to my marlin 795 with a Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount. It's held up well for the last 3 years. Centerpoint scopes are not the best but if it ever fails just return it to Walmart for a new one.

Is it the High Mount?

No scope walking with that mount?

0331Marine
08-28-2012, 1:07 PM
My dad has a Centerpoint on his 7mm WSM and he doesnt have any problems with it.

romadant
08-28-2012, 1:36 PM
You can pick up 'Made in Philippines" Simmons on Ebay for around $50. Look for the Whitetail Classic line. Be sure it's made in the Philippines. IMO they are a much higher in quality (optic and build quality) and are a better buy.

Annex138
08-28-2012, 6:21 PM
Is it the High Mount?

No scope walking with that mount?

It is the high. No walking on my 795 or girlfriends model 60

whipkiller
08-28-2012, 9:59 PM
Boy, that just barely clears huh?

Looks good, I look forward to being able to see things a little more clearly.

Annex138
08-29-2012, 3:47 PM
Yeah, it's a tight fit. I removed my rear sight but there is just enough room you can leave the sight mounted with the scope. The flip up caps are a little on the bulky side. Without the caps there is about a 1/4" gap between the barrel and scope.

The 795 is a sweet little .22. I hit golf balls at 100 yards all day long.

whipkiller
08-29-2012, 5:54 PM
Yeah, it's a tight fit. I removed my rear sight but there is just enough room you can leave the sight mounted with the scope. The flip up caps are a little on the bulky side. Without the caps there is about a 1/4" gap between the barrel and scope.

The 795 is a sweet little .22. I hit golf balls at 100 yards all day long.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!!

whipkiller
08-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Yay, had a Amazon package in the mailbox earlier than expected.

Got the new scope mounted for my "Guard Dog" (see pic) and then went to pick up my AR out of 10 day jail.

Today was a good day.:D