PDA

View Full Version : So mossbergs are complete junk and remingtons are better than anything else

Maddog5150
08-22-2012, 4:44 PM
Read my post and dont respond based on the title.
So at work, there is this guy who rants and raves about Remington and how they are better than anything else. He spreads a lot of false information about stuff he knows nothing about at all. Key points he falsly spouts off are.
- Remington is better because it's in "EVERY SINGLE" squad car and Mossberg isnt
- Remington didnt get the Army contract because they refused to make cheaper parts and compromise their integrity where as Mossberg did. Military only buys from the cheapest right?
- Remingtons have been known to have logged over 1 million rounds through it (someone in a PD told me) and Mossberg doesnt even have a tenth of the lifespan.
- I knew a guy who bought a Mossberg once then BAM. Ten years later, caught herpes.

My point of view is, buy what you like. It's like Ford vs. Chevy and both will do the job you want them to.
So... I want as much info as I can get with real references so school the living **** out of this **** tard. Anyone want to help me put this tardo in his place? :43:

ExtremeX
08-22-2012, 4:52 PM
I am not a shotgun expert but I think both platforms are pretty even... if anything I favor the Mossberg a little bit more, but I’ve used both since friends and family have both.

Remingtons have their fair share out-of-the-box problems…

My brother (Rem 870) has a huge problem with rust on the factory finish and our shotguns were stored and use in the same conditions. Compared to Mossberg 500

His Rem 870 has some shells stuck in the chamber after firing (low brass bird shot), so it needed a bit of a polish to remedy…

After all the problems were sorted out, they both run good.

I have a friend with a Mossberg 590 and I would take it over the 500 or 870 any day.

Mossberg has dual extractors vs 1 on the 870. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this one…

I also think what wins LE and Military contracts is the lowest bidder at times. Then again I don’t know for sure. I don’t let what LE and Military use influence my purchases.

FUBAR
08-22-2012, 4:53 PM
- I knew a guy who bought a Mossberg once then BAM. Ten years later, caught herpes.

That's why I always wear a condom when pumping my Mossberg.
Magnums of course....

Baconator
08-22-2012, 4:53 PM
Just like Glocks are better than everything, AKs are better than everything, .40 is better than everything...etc.etc.

Rand B. Wilson
08-22-2012, 4:57 PM
My dad bought a mossberg 500 in about 1983.. he fired it about 50 times, cleaned it, and put it in a closet.. in 2004 he gave it to me... i put it in a case (locked) on a shelf in the garage.. in 2012 pulled it out, and ran about 75 more shells & slugs thru it without issue..

Mossbergs seem to work just fine..

bigbearbear
08-22-2012, 5:13 PM
I don't understand why anyone would base their purchase decision on what police buy for their officers. They buy Ford Crown Victoria for cars too, don't see too many people driving these on the road do we?

xtra870
08-22-2012, 5:20 PM
The only thing that affects my buying decisions on shotguns is the fact i only own remingtons and have never had a problem with any of them. When i start to experience problems i will probably buy a mossberg as a cheap shooter

Maddog5150
08-22-2012, 5:26 PM
Gaaah. I'm hoping someone out there has referenced material and not personal experiences. I want to school this douche :D

Rand B. Wilson
08-22-2012, 5:28 PM
Gaaah. I'm hoping someone out there has referenced material and not personal experiences. I want to school this douche :D
instead of you coming up with referenced material, why not just ask him to provide HIS?

Fjold
08-22-2012, 5:33 PM
Read my post and dont respond based on the title.
So at work, there is this guy who rants and raves about Remington and how they are better than anything else. He spreads a lot of false information about stuff he knows nothing about at all. Key points he falsly spouts off are.
- Remington is better because it's in "EVERY SINGLE" squad car and Mossberg isnt
- Remington didnt get the Army contract because they refused to make cheaper parts and compromise their integrity where as Mossberg did. Military only buys from the cheapest right? Yep, that's why the Army uses Remington sniper rifles
- Remingtons have been known to have logged over 1 million rounds through it (someone in a PD told me) and Mossberg doesnt even have a tenth of the lifespan. The Mossberg 500 been in production since 1961 a million rounds is nothing

My point of view is, buy what you like. It's like Ford vs. Chevy and both will do the job you want them to.
So... I want as much info as I can get with real references so school the living **** out of this **** tard. Anyone want to help me put this tardo in his place? :43:

You can fix stupid but it's terminal

JeremyKX
08-22-2012, 5:36 PM
Love my mossberg. zero issues

IrishPirate
08-22-2012, 5:48 PM
http://www.second-amendment.org/guns-and-shooting/shotguns/870vs500.html

I'm a Mossberg guy and love to get 870 guys all fired up....but i do respect the 870 and its capabilities. I just happen to prefer the 500. There's really no measureable difference between the two that isn't overshadowed by another feature...it just depends on who you're talking to and what they think is important. Obviously your buddy thinks that sounding cool/smart is more important than being right.

bill_k_lopez
08-22-2012, 5:53 PM
I took my ruger vaquero to a gunsmith to have it fixed, the barrel started twisting. I asked why it would have done this (I own several super blackhawk's, and have never had this problem) - guy says to me "What do you want - it's a Ruger. You should have bought a Smith & Wesson"

Everyone has an opinion, most should just keep it to themselves.

CK_32
08-22-2012, 5:54 PM
I remember when i bought my first gun... Tell the guy open your mind and stop being an idiot.. Ive learned so much ever since I got over my pride and learned dont knock it till you try it and once more just to be sure.. I wouldnt have 2 of the guns I do or want the next 3 projects Im working on if I still thought like your co worker..

Guys like him are just hurting them selves...

gatesbox
08-22-2012, 5:57 PM
I don't understand why anyone would base their purchase decision on what police buy for their officers. They buy Ford Crown Victoria for cars too, don't see too many people driving these on the road do we?

I don't care if one buys Mossy over a Rem, but leave the Crown Vic out of it. Those things are the Shiz!

Dozen Gauge
08-22-2012, 6:00 PM
Where's aippi?..:popcorn:

Scuba Steve33
08-22-2012, 6:36 PM
If the Army Mossbergs are so cheap there must be several reports of them failing right? Never had a single issue with any of ours while I was in. Well except the one that got hit by an AK-47 round my buddy was carrying. Damn, they do suck.

Thefeeder
08-22-2012, 6:58 PM
All that matters is what is on the score card.

Bigtwin
08-22-2012, 7:07 PM
They buy Ford Crown Victoria for cars too, don't see too many people driving these on the road do we?

Don't know where you live but traveling localy and across the the country I see TONS of them.

Bad example! But I get what you are trying to say.

Love my Mossberg 500. Have shot many others and they are great, but I have no need to change my shotgun.....it suits me and my needs fine.

Legasat
08-22-2012, 7:18 PM
I can only tell you that my 590 goes BOOM everytime I rack the slide and pull the trigger.

elSquid
08-22-2012, 7:27 PM
If you want to press his buttons, agree that the Remington is the best design - but then point out the Chinese are making cheap 870 clones that are a better shotgun.

I don't necessarily agree with that though. :D

-- Michael

CK_32
08-22-2012, 8:01 PM

He's been MIA for a few weeks.. Hope he's alright..

I've been trying to message him on parts for 870 price quotes and still hasn't gotten back to me..

NorCalXJ
08-22-2012, 8:08 PM
Both great shotguns, but i hate fanboys.

Socalmedix
08-22-2012, 8:17 PM
Yep, wanna fight about it?

gunnerstuff
08-22-2012, 8:27 PM
I own both, and I like both....... and onion rings

BigFatGuy
08-22-2012, 9:11 PM
Cops around here are almost all driving Chargers now... which is a beautiful car that I'd buy in a second if I had $50k floating around...

pinky
08-22-2012, 9:19 PM
Love both gun brands. I have 1 Remington and it does fine other than being picky on ammo it's great. However I love Mossberg way more. My 2 shotguns and 308 are awesome. They're great with any brand ammo through them. Guess it all depends on which brand you prefer. Either way there both great

blazeaglory
08-22-2012, 9:19 PM
Magnums of course....

SWEET! I usually hate quotes in sig lines but that is it right there!

And my mossy, or should I say Maverick, is ma best fwend.

DinoPJR
08-22-2012, 9:20 PM
Doesnt Remington outsource there products to china now days? Mossberg is good Ol Made in the USA. am I wrong? I own both and personally the quality of remington 870 is low compared to my mossberg

Dozen Gauge
08-22-2012, 9:31 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight since you guys are arguning over the 2nd and 3rd best shotguns out there. But I did do a little interwebs search and know the real reason Mossberg won the Army contract. Interesting stuff.

blazeaglory
08-22-2012, 9:33 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight since you guys are arguning over the 2nd and 3rd best shotguns out there. But I did do a little interwebs search and know the real reason Mossberg won the Army contract. Interesting stuff.

Care to enlighten us? Kinda messed up to run us to the finish line and not cross over.

And, for arguments sake, what is the best shotgun in the world? Let me guess...FNH?

Maddog5150
08-22-2012, 9:47 PM

Please enlighten us. I've found some information too while searching today.

The mossberg had the safety on top of the tang which was prefurred
was easier to fix by field armorers
oh wait, and Remington didnt even submit a shotgun in the 1979 contract competition! Aparently they were afraid to lose to Mossberg and felt their sales would plummit so they concentrated on their police contracts.

CK_32
08-22-2012, 9:48 PM

Oh it was on the internet.. Then it must be true! Lol :rolleyes:

mikajo39
08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Oh it was on the internet.. Then it must be true! Lol :rolleyes:

The almighty internet knows all. Except for Bing, Bing sucks. :43:

.300 Weatherby Mag
08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
If you've ever shot a Winchester Model 12 or Model 42, you would realize that they both suck :D

(Sarcasm is for entertainment purposes only... Please do not flame)

In all honestly... I own a wood-stocked 500A with a 28" barrel... It goes bang every time, but in no way does it feel as good to me as a Remington 870... I've taken it hunting and shot hundreds of clays with it... I can shoot a 23 or 24 with it on the skeet field... But still it just feels cheap and not as balanced as an 870... I will say that the darn 500 goes bang every time... Cheap feeling or not..

Sicarius
08-23-2012, 9:50 AM
I have both a 590 a1 and 870p. I personally like the 870 but both are great. The 500s is a tad lighter and is more ambidex. I had an issue with my 590 where if I rack the slide normally, the safety would engage itself. Not a hard fix but kinda lame on mossbergs part to use a plastic safety. Neither has jammed on me. The 870 feels stouter to me. and I like having the option of changing magazine extensions where as the mossberg you are pretty stuck with what you get out of the box. Threading the magazine tube into the mossberg's receiver is worrysome of crossthreading it... In the end, all that matters is that when you pull the trigger, they go bang. Your coworker will never change his mind being a fanboi. You can always pull the benelli card on him. hehe.
Kevin

nothinghere2c
08-23-2012, 9:59 AM
bought a brand new remington 870 express super mag and it wouldn't extract shells to save its life. I swapped out the extractor for a non-mim one and it would still fail to extract 3/4 shells. I was naturally upset and sent it back to remington. They cut the barrel down a few millimeters since it sat just slightly too far away from the receiver and polished the ramp the extractor slides on to grab the shell and now it works flawlessly. Maybe older remingtons were of good quality but my experience with a newly manufactured one was less than stellar.

MikeR
08-23-2012, 11:02 AM

I think his coworker is aippi! :p

Everyone knows Benelli is the only game in town, everything else is junk.

Sorry I did read your post, only responding to title.

Ripon83
08-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Remington had a chance to be the "Colt" of American shotguns and even bolt actions, but they failed. I still like my 1100, still like my 870, but they are in the safe and don't hardly ever come out - I take the 500 with me on road trips.

Darto
08-23-2012, 1:11 PM
I traded away my 870. And bought an Ithaca 37. Now at last I'm happy.

23 Blast
08-23-2012, 1:17 PM
Magnums of course....

...But they're still just 3-inchers, amirite? :D

FUBAR
08-23-2012, 4:40 PM
...But they're still just 3-inchers, amirite? :D

It maybe 3 inches but you wouldn't want to be on the wrong end when it goes BANG!
Gonna need a little more than a box of tissue.

trew10
08-23-2012, 4:54 PM
Both guns are priced almost the same. For that amount are you seriously counting on having it for ten years. Hell I just got my mossberg a month ago already looking around for something new. If you can afford it buy both.

trew10
08-23-2012, 4:56 PM
Do you keep your car for ten years? You can but do you? In ten years new models new technology

M27
08-23-2012, 10:21 PM
the biggest thing I don't like about Mossburg is where the safety is

100% personal opinion

ask him to shoot these shells through his 870
http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammunition-federal-top-gun-pink-target-loads-case.shtml

I have yet to find a stock recent production 870 express that could go 25 for 25 extractions with this stuff and I have seen it tried in 5 different weapons (there are 10 boxes in a case, the wingmaster and 500 did fine with a box each, 2 were shot in an over under, and my girlfriend kept a box because they are pink)

CK_32
08-24-2012, 6:40 AM

Yea I've tried bing.. Was not impressed at all.. Their commercials really make it sound all mighty I didn't find dittly sh** using bing.

cal3gunner
08-24-2012, 7:00 AM

UnoShotUnoKill
08-24-2012, 7:14 AM
I have a hand me down 870, a Mossburg 500 and a Maverick 88 that I bought when I was 18 for $190. All work fine. They work almost the exact same way. I have more rounds through the Mav 88 than any other shotgun and I actually perfer it over the others. 12 years of firing thousands of rounds with minimal care and still kicking. Sometimes I feel bad for it and spray it down with some lube every now and then. I would trust it in battle. A couple of my friends have newer 870s that had problems with shells getting stuck in the chamber and had to send them back to Remmington. The same guys to dog my Mav 88 for feeling "cheap and sloppy". It's a pump shotgun for $200 what do you expect? Works everytime and I don't care if it gets scratched:)

CSACANNONEER
08-24-2012, 7:19 AM
My dad bought a mossberg 500 in about 1983.. he fired it about 50 times, cleaned it, and put it in a closet.. in 2004 he gave it to me... i put it in a case (locked) on a shelf in the garage.. in 2012 pulled it out, and ran about 75 more shells & slugs thru it without issue..

Mossbergs seem to work just fine..

LOL. Your's sounds brand spanking new. In '84 my dad gave me a 500 he'ld had for at least 25 years and had bought used. It probably saw 22 seasons of duck hunting, being totally submerged in muddy salty water numerous times, a little trap shooting, etc. The gun still works fine today.

Wherryj
08-24-2012, 4:47 PM

We have a winner here. 590 and M3 is the proper combination.

rabagley
08-25-2012, 12:01 AM

The internet knows that.

rabagley
08-25-2012, 12:04 AM
I have a Remington and a mossburg. Both function just fine. The controls on the mossburg are more user friendly.

After I bought a Benelli M2, the other two shotguns got greased up and put in the safe and now never see daylight.

Why shoot a pump gun when can shoot a fine Italian auto loader that cycles fast and smooth?

Mossberg 930. Not superior to the M2, a peer to the M2.

And Mossberg controls are only more user friendly as long as you stay far far away from pistol grips.

So speaks the Mossberg fanatic. No pistol grips on my Mossbergs.

cal3gunner
08-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Mossberg 930. Not superior to the M2, a peer to the M2.And Mossberg controls are only more user friendly as long as you stay far far away from pistol grips.

So speaks the Mossberg fanatic. No pistol grips on my Mossbergs.

By peer you mean red headed step child right? ;)

rabagley
08-25-2012, 12:24 AM
By peer you mean red headed step child right? ;)

Depends on the gunsmith. I agree that out of the box, Mossberg does not make a gun that's equal to the Benelli. But with a little love, my Mossy performs. And for about half as much as the tuned Benelli.

MossbergMan
08-25-2012, 8:12 AM
Military contracts are awarded based on a manufactures ability to meet the specifications for the product they are seeking. It's called Contract-ize. The ability of someone to write up specifications that only the "favored" manufacture can provide. A large federal enity wanted a new 1911 and they wanted Para Ordinance P-14s modified by Les Baer. So they wrote the specs sooooo specifically only LB could meet them.
Othewise how can anyone explain the military buying into Beretta M-9s?

Back on topic....I'm in the Mossberg Camp. Being a minority shooter (left-handed) the Mossbergs are amidextious. And before you Remmey guys chime in...I know Remington makes left handed models, but they are a speciality item. All Mossbergs work for both side shooters.
Most shooters will be well served with either gun. I even own an 870.

deconb
08-28-2012, 1:03 PM
I have a few problems with the 870..

I own and shoot both an 870 and a 500, I've shot both of them quite a bit.

the slide release for the 870 is forward of the trigger guard, to access it, I have to take my hand off the grip and move it forward, this has the effect of putting my other fingers in proximity to the trigger. On the mossberg 500, this release is to the rear of the trigger guard, I can access it while twisting my hand a little which has the effect of moving my fingers AWAY from the trigger.

Secondly, the ejector on the mossberg is attached to the receiver with a screw and is made of nice big piece of metal. On the 870, the ejector is more of a spring, it does bend and it does wear out, it's riveted to the receiver. It's a good idea to use a little (blue) loctite on the screw on the 500 but other than that, I've never had an issue with it.

My 870 came with a 7 round tube from the factory, regardless, it doesn't like to load past 5 shells and the spring will sometimes hang if I am able to load a full tube. No, I don't have dimples. :)

I don't dislike my 870, I like the matte finish better than the glossy finish on the 500. I'll tell you this though, if I had to grab one like my life depended on it, it would be the 500.

CK_32
08-28-2012, 1:54 PM
I have a Remington and a mossburg. Both function just fine. The controls on the mossburg are more user friendly.

I dont agree with that.. Thats everyone selling point for mosburg and Remington for pistol grips..

Both are awkward to fast deploy off safe both bring the but off your shouldure and cheek off the stock to do it smoothly. Either way your taking your hand/gun out of fight position for a second to deploy into action.. So they both suck IMO just in their own way..

And Ive shot a 500/590 (many times clays and tactical drills) and own 2 870s.. so I'm not biased by any means just experienced and not a 100% fan of both.

Although I do like the action, price and options of a 870 which is why I chose 870..

courage1
08-29-2012, 2:41 AM
I would love a 870 marine magnum or a 590a1 didn't like the feel of the 500-used to my old wingmaster

BigDogatPlay
08-29-2012, 5:39 AM
I own both and they are very much comparable guns.

* Remington shotguns are not universal in police cars... for those agencies that still put shotguns out in their cars. I've seen any number of agencies over the years that deployed other brands, including Mossberg.

* There are plenty of 870's still in .mil hands, being that they are durable as granite, they just haven't procured a lot of them lately. I think the last big shotgun buy for the front line combat troops was of M1014s, which are neither Remington or Mossberg.

* The Mossberg "feels" like a lesser gun because (IMO) of the lighter weight from the aluminum receiver and the slop in the fore end that is inherent in the design. Doesn't mean it's a lesser gun in terms of performance.

* Either gun, if properly maintained, will give multiple lifetimes of service. It comes down to personal preference and what works best for the requirements of each individual. The differences in controls are especially so, and either set up can be trained to.

CalNRA
08-29-2012, 5:46 AM
They buy Ford Crown Victoria for cars too, don't see too many people driving these on the road do we?

I see them all the time. What do you know about them or is this another random dig based on nothing?

NotEnufGarage
08-29-2012, 6:57 AM
Just like Glocks are better than everything, AKs are better than everything, .40 is better than everything...etc.etc.

Glocks ARE better than everything...

Except 1911's, because they're .45ACP

Dreaded Claymore
08-29-2012, 2:45 PM
Glocks ARE better than everything...

Except 1911's, because they're .45ACP

M1911s instill fairy dust into the bullets, making them more deadly. --Someone on Calguns

CK_32
08-29-2012, 3:20 PM
M1911s instill fairy dust into the bullets, making them more deadly. --Someone on Calguns

That may be true but.. Doesn't do much good when it stops shooting now does it.. ;)

Sorry couldn't help it. :D

LAKings22
08-29-2012, 3:37 PM
Everyone wants to think they have the best, which is very normal.