PDA

View Full Version : New to scopes.

GlockComa
06-19-2007, 8:33 AM
What scope would you recommend for a FAL?

PistolPete75
06-19-2007, 10:37 AM
what distance are you going to shoot?

GTKrockeTT
06-19-2007, 10:53 AM
also, do you have a tapco cover for loading with stripper clips? if so, this would require you to have a much shorter OAL scope, severly limiting some of your options. this is assuming you don't want to block/prohibit the loading of your FAL with stripper clips.

GlockComa
06-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Pete I want to shoot as far as the rifle and ammo will let me hahaha.

GTKrockeTT yeah I do have the Tapco cover.
I guess my best bet would be a ACOG of some sort.

-hanko
06-19-2007, 6:08 PM
Pete I want to shoot as far as the rifle and ammo will let me hahaha.

GTKrockeTT yeah I do have the Tapco cover.
I guess my best bet would be a ACOG of some sort.
So you're looking at 400-600 yards, maybe more.

With a stocker FAL, expect 1.5-2 moa reasonably with good (surplus) 150gr ball ammo. At your maximum distance, something 6-10 power is logical.

Whatever you get, note that getting a repeatable cheek weld with a glassed FAL might be a little tricky. If you're spending ACOC bucks on a scope, make sure you can play with a demo model on your gun (i.e., shoot some bullets and see how it feels) before you sign the cc ticket;)

For close-in shooting, something with less magnifaction will work better...check IOR's products if you need magnification; if not, a standard eotech red dot is superb. I like the looks & function of the SUIT scope on an FAL, though you might be criticized for using dated technology...no big deal, the FAL dates back 40+ years anyway.

Mount whatever you have far enough forward to avoid stitches in your eyebrow. Other issue is eyepiece clearance over the rear sight; an issue that's easily fixed with a folding rear sight.

A lot of FAL-specific info on (oddly enough:cool:) the optics forum on the fal files.

-hanko