PDA

View Full Version : Prairie dog vulnerability

Scarecrow Repair
06-19-2007, 7:27 AM
I am finally catching up on some of my science magazines, and came across an interesting report on prairie dogs from October of last year. Scientists watching a small colony in Utah discovered that most prairie dog predation occurs during the short mating season while the males apparently are too preoccupied with sex to look for predators. Females are fertile for at most 5 hours a year. The breeding season is 17 days long. The report does not say when that breeding season is, nor how to recognize it, though I guess their behavior would be distinctive enough to any experienced observer ....

So there you have it. I am not a hunter, but I report this as a service to varmint hunters. I am trying hard to resist the temptation to make an analogy to human males :-)

pullnshoot25
06-19-2007, 8:47 AM
WOW. I thought they were like rabbits in the respect that they are always in heat. You would never guess with the way that those things play Whack a' Mole.

ivanimal
06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I am finally catching up on some of my science magazines, and came across an interesting report on prairie dogs from October of last year. Scientists watching a small colony in Utah discovered that most prairie dog predation occurs during the short mating season while the males apparently are too preoccupied with sex to look for predators. Females are fertile for at most 5 hours a year. The breeding season is 17 days long. The report does not say when that breeding season is, nor how to recognize it, though I guess their behavior would be distinctive enough to any experienced observer ....

So there you have it. I am not a hunter, but I report this as a service to varmint hunters. I am trying hard to resist the temptation to make an analogy to human males :-)

That is too close to home!:p

damon1272
06-20-2007, 8:57 AM
Thanks for the report. After coming back from a Montana prariedog trip today I would say from my favorite fields being pluaged out and all of the prarie dogs that were shot they need to get busy making babies for next year!