View Full Version : took the savage markII to the range today

08-22-2012, 1:23 PM
took my savage MarkII-FV 22LR to the range today to try out the new boyds tacticool stock i had just installed on it To see if the groups got better. the first picture is the groups with the original stock and using cheap blazer bulk pack ammo at 50 yards. the second picture is same ammo at 50yrds but with the new boyds stock bummed about the one flyer. both groups were shot off of a bipod and rear bag from the bench at Burro.

5 shot group at 50yrds blazer bulk original stock

5 shot group 50yrds blazer bulk boyds tacticool stock

08-22-2012, 1:42 PM
Nice groups, hard to tell but it looks like they tightened up a bit with the new boyds stock. If I where you I would sand the barrel channel of the stock a little bit to free float the barrel.

Put masking tape down on each side the length of the stock channel to protect it and then wrap sandpaper around a deep socket that fits the channel. Sand it till when doing test fits you can pass a dollar between the stock and barrel without it hanging up anywhere.

08-22-2012, 1:57 PM
the barrel is free floated already i checked it when i swapped the stock. i gotta get some match ammo and see if i can find the one it really likes.

08-22-2012, 2:03 PM
Try wolf match target. It groups well in my savage and many other people's savages.

08-22-2012, 2:04 PM
Try wolf match target. It groups well in my savage and many other people's savages.

08-22-2012, 2:29 PM
Experiment with action screw torque.

08-22-2012, 3:23 PM
The flyer is probably the ammo. Blazer ain't exactly match ammo, great plinking stuff but one has to expect flyers from bulk ammo. Usually just at the wrong time. As others suggested, Wolf MT or if you want to spend twice as much, Lapua Center-X.