PDA

View Full Version : No jail time for two Richmond cops

strongpoint
08-21-2012, 8:46 PM
straw purchases, conspiring to skirt the age limit, obstructing an investigation ... i wonder what kind of sentence a civilian would have received. full story here (http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Richmond-cops-get-lenient-sentences-3805339.php).

OAKLAND -- Two former Richmond police officers who admitted they illegally bought guns for underage employees at an off-duty security company they operated -- and then tried to obstruct a federal investigation to cover their tracks -- won't have to serve time in prison, a federal judge decided Tuesday.

"It could have been worse," U.S. District Court Judge Claudia Wilken said before announcing what she described as lenient sentences.

i'd hate to see what "worse" would entail.

Starting in June 2009, prosecutors said, [Danny] Harris purchased four firearms from a San Jose gun dealer, then sold the guns for cash to his underage employees. Under federal law, people under 21 cannot buy handguns, and purchasing a gun for another person is considered an illegal "straw purchase."

Prosecutors said after the two officers learned of an internal investigation into their activities, [Raymond] Thomas plotted to obstruct the query by retrieving one of the guns from a former employee, Sergio Rios, then age 20. In Sept. 2010, Thomas wrote letters to Rios threatening retaliation if the gun was not returned, then filed a bogus lawsuit against him in small claims court.

Harris and Thomas ultimately hired [former private investigator Christopher] Butler to frame Rios for a drunken driving arrest known as a "dirty DUI." The plot failed after an anonymous tipster contacted Rios through Facebook and warned him about the scheme.

ETA (for those to lazy to click through): six months in a halfway house for one guy, six months of house arrest for the other.

safewaysecurity
08-21-2012, 8:50 PM
Ridiculous how cops are let off. If anything they should be held to a higher standard and punished even more for violations of law. I do think however what they did should be legal. I just don't like the double standard and hypocrisy.

G-forceJunkie
08-21-2012, 8:59 PM
Don't worry, its just a few bad apples. Or so I am told over and over.

jshoebot
08-21-2012, 9:16 PM
We don't know the whole situation. Unless you've ever purchased a gun in order to sell it to your underage employees, and then do so without a PPT, and then you try to cover it up when you hear you're being investigated, and you have a badge, your opinion isn't valid. I'll withhold my opinions until we hear all sides of the story, as we can't comment since we don't know the whole situation.

jshoebot
08-21-2012, 9:17 PM
Ridiculous how cops are let off. If anything they should be held to a higher standard and punished even more for violations of law. I do think however what they did should be legal. I just don't like the double standard and hypocrisy.

Agree 100%

jdberger
08-21-2012, 9:40 PM
We don't know the whole situation. Unless you've ever purchased a gun in order to sell it to your underage employees, and then do so without a PPT, and then you try to cover it up when you hear you're being investigated, and you have a badge, your opinion isn't valid. I'll withhold my opinions until we hear all sides of the story, as we can't comment since we don't know the whole situation.

Priceless

paul0660
08-21-2012, 9:41 PM

Well done. My sarcasmeter has new batteries so I am ok.

I wonder how the whole illegal transfer thing, disregarding the underage or straw purchase angle, is not mentioned.

i'd hate to see what "worse" would entail.

I think you mean "less worse".

The sentences set off a celebration from the officer's supporters in the courtroom hallway.

At least the are ex officers, for a while.

5thgen4runner
08-21-2012, 9:42 PM

They should be held to the same standard not more not less. I would be happy with that.

Ron-Solo
08-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Many first offenders avoid jail time thru plea bargains such as this, not just LE.

I saw one first offender get 6 months county time for actually shooting at four people. Use a gun, go to prison.

Personally, these guys dishonored the badge and deserved jail time in my opinion. They just worked the system like many other work it.

IrishJoe3
08-22-2012, 1:47 AM
Personally, these guys dishonored the badge and deserved jail time in my opinion. They just worked the system like many other work it.

Totally agree. f'em.

CK_32
08-22-2012, 8:19 AM
Wtf I thought I saw all this talk on the boards you can have a handgun at 18 just can't buy ammo till your 21..? Can someone please give me another head ache with these laws I can never seem to fully understand correctly.

frisco415
08-22-2012, 8:37 AM
.. This must be a early April fools joke..

Untamed1972
08-22-2012, 8:47 AM
Many first offenders avoid jail time thru plea bargains such as this, not just LE.

I saw one first offender get 6 months county time for actually shooting at four people. Use a gun, go to prison.

Hiring someone to setup another person for a bogus DUI arrest as retaliation is just "working the system"?

That's just full blown criminal conspiracy in my book.

stormvet
08-22-2012, 8:47 AM
Go to prison hell, they should not even of been convicted. That's the kind of BS they are wasting my tax dollars on, please. Don't let your hate over load your commen since.

paul0660
08-22-2012, 8:49 AM

Yes. Ron is a cop or ex cop who is usually fair minded, but this case (which we know a lot about but not everything) seems extraordinary to me.

ewarmour
08-22-2012, 9:28 AM

LMAO!

Yea, just a few bad apples. :rolleyes:

You or I would be in prison, via plea bargain, for this type of criminal conspiracy.

Ron-Solo
08-22-2012, 9:50 AM
Wtf I thought I saw all this talk on the boards you can have a handgun at 18 just can't buy ammo till your 21..? Can someone please give me another head ache with these laws I can never seem to fully understand correctly.

They were conducting illegal transfers. Someone under 21 can own a handgun via a family transfer, but they can not buy one.

Hiring someone to setup another person for a bogus DUI arrest as retaliation is just "working the system"?

Yes, it is a criminal conspiracy. Where did I ever say it wasn't? Please go back and re read what I wrote before you start attacking me. The "working the system" comment was directed at the plea bargain, which is a very common occurrence in the legal system. It is very common when a case isn't rock solid or it could lead to a lengthy trial with questionable results.

Yes. Ron is a cop or ex cop who is usually fair minded, but this case (which we know a lot about but not everything) seems extraordinary to me.

I am a "retired" deputy sheriff, which is different than being an "ex-cop".

As I said in my original post, I believe they deserved prison time based on what I've read.

Wicked Pete
08-22-2012, 7:00 PM
I don't hate you lieutenant, I appreciate Law Enforcement. Sometimes they ain't cool, that's life.

UBFRAGD
08-22-2012, 7:25 PM
There is nothing criminal in arming the good guys in Richmond. Richmond culture is 100% dedicated to government handouts by day and thievery by night. Fourth-generation welfare scum who sense 0bamas' economic injustice ideology and act it out on the streets of Richmond against anyone and everyone and any business too. Anybody in Richmond who has a real, productive job, should be allowed to carry full-auto G18's and have immunity from prosecution.

Richmond is like Detroit with an uber-sense of Berkeley anti-white, anti-Americanism thrown in the mix just for good measure.

The City of Pride and Purpose. How ironic is that. Liberals took an industrial base over and turned it into a cesspool of abandoned businesses and empty houses turned into mold factories. Yes, Richmond takes Pride in stealing every last thing. For the Purpose of mis-guided racial economic justice. I have never seen so much racial hatred in my life and I have lived all over the USA. Richmond makes the old Cabrini-Green in Chi look like a Mensa gathering.

Neptune
08-23-2012, 2:51 AM
Richmond - The Chicago of the Bay Area...

__

CBlacksheep
08-23-2012, 4:38 AM
Nice to know those who are paid to protect and serve are setting the standard to help usher in another generation of delinquents and criminals. Scum of the Earth.