View Full Version : another hi cap mag query

08-21-2012, 7:19 PM
Ok, it's been answered before, I'm not savvy enough to find the answer here, so here goes...if oos dealer doesn't have 10 rnd mag available to ship to Cally, and won't ship w/o mag, can they ship hi cap mag disassembled? Or how do I deal with this issue? Thx much.:sleeping:

08-21-2012, 7:24 PM
The dealer can ship it disassembled.

-edit: If this happens, you may want to bring your own 10rd mag if you need to demonstrate safe handling practices which requires you to chamber a dummy round from a magazine.

08-21-2012, 7:39 PM
It depends on the OOS dealer. If the gun is on roster, you'd hope that the dealer would be fair and put in 10-rounders for you. However, this is not always the case. If the dealer refuses to swap out mags for you, it is your call on if you want to make the purchase. I've also heard of some dealers adjusting the price to account for no-magazines being included in the sale. Alot of OOS sellers won't ship "kits" at all. So basically, in the end, it depends on the OOS seller.

08-21-2012, 8:10 PM
Ok, thx for the replys!! Am working on a cz83, difficult to find one on roster(mod 91301)...most have 12 rnd mags. Will contact oos dealers and see if they will just disassemble mags for me. If this project gets any more difficult, I just might go out and buy a full size 1911 and to he** mit it. Just have to figger out how to hide it under my t-shirt.....:jump:

Bug Splat
08-21-2012, 8:12 PM
Do they still require a demonstration? I have not done one in years and many pistols later. Last time a San Jose dealer flipping charged me $35 to watch me do a demo for him that took 10 seconds. I nearly threw a handful of quarters at him but he had my pistol so I had to pay it. Still pisses me off to this day. That jack*** :mad:

08-21-2012, 8:51 PM
Yes. I had to do the demonstration when I picked up my first pistol.

11-05-2012, 7:34 AM
Never heard of that "safe handling demo", never had to perform it, have purchased 4 pistols in Cally over the past 20 yrs...all dealer transactions.

Cyc Wid It
11-05-2012, 10:04 AM
It's mandatory.

11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
California Penal Code Section 26850

(a) Except as authorized by the department, no firearms
dealer may deliver a handgun unless the recipient performs a safe
handling demonstration with that handgun.
A selling dealer may be saving you some annoyance, but failing to follow the law is a misdemeanor for him.

11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
It seems like a lot of stores neglect doing the demonstration, even though it's the law. I was never asked to do one until last year, probably did half a dozen purchases or PPT's and was never asked.

11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
It's mandatory.

is it only mandatory when you buy the gun and have it shipped? i bought my first gun on my 21st birthday and they asked if i need help on how to use it, i told them i have it covered and that was that

Cyc Wid It
11-05-2012, 1:40 PM
is it only mandatory when you buy the gun and have it shipped? i bought my first gun on my 21st birthday and they asked if i need help on how to use it, i told them i have it covered and that was that

ALWAYS, as Librarian posted. Your FFL is probably lazy / trying to "do you a favor".

11-05-2012, 5:01 PM
Always had to do the " safe handling" BS. My most recent purchase ,he pulled the Glock out to " test" and said" oh.... Ummmm 10mm.... hmmm. I don't have 10mm snap caps,lets just use this G19.

11-08-2013, 8:41 PM
Safe Handling.....the first time (earlier this year) I was asked to demonstrate "safe handling" was when the sheriff had me demonstrate at the range that I knew how to operate the durn thing....added it to my permit.... I told him that this is the first time in 20+ years that anyone...dealers, law enforcement, anyone had asked me if I knew how to safely operate my firearms....go figger....

11-08-2013, 8:52 PM
And technically what OP refer to as high-cap are standard cap... standard for what the pistol was originally designed for. A 30 round mag for a Glock or a 20 round mag for a Sig P226 would be high-cap. 10 round mags are restricted capacity—because people who know hardly anything about guns and wrote the rule, think they make a gun safer—not standard.