PDA

View Full Version : Need some clarification with the Marines new M45 contract

fullspeed1
08-21-2012, 2:20 PM
Pulled a section of this from military.com, Please tell me that the numbers are wrong....

"The Marines' contract to buy up to 12,000 pistols for $22.5 million over five years means it accounts for about 2 percent of Colt Defense's annual sales. That's not enough to drive the success of the company. But the historic return to Colt sidearms is significant and it's a morale boost within the company."

fullspeed1
08-21-2012, 2:25 PM
Disregard, I added an extra zero.... $1875 per pistol, impressive.

email
08-21-2012, 2:27 PM
$1,875 each. Must include some accessories.?

fullspeed1
08-21-2012, 2:29 PM
$1,875 each. Must include some accessories.?

I'm assuming spare parts kit for sure???

Bug Splat
08-21-2012, 2:34 PM
no, your numbers are right. $1875 per gun. What a waste of our money :(

Manolito
08-21-2012, 2:36 PM
There are a lot of government agencies that are wasteful with their money the marine corps is not one of them. You can bet they squeezed the nickle until the buffalo pooped. There are a lot of contracts for procurement that have written into them the maintenance and upkeep of the item possibly in this contract for weapons.

I would love to read the point paper that convinced them to go with a .45 platform. There must be some impressive facts in that paper.

fullspeed1
08-21-2012, 2:46 PM
For Force Recon and MARSOC. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't so bad.

Cyc Wid It
08-21-2012, 2:49 PM
This has been covered a bunch of times. IT COVERS MAINTENANCE AND SPARE PARTS.

Most recently here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=601101

Some Marines units also field Springfield Pros.

fullspeed1
08-21-2012, 2:55 PM
This has been covered a bunch of times. IT COVERS MAINTENANCE AND SPARE PARTS.

Most recently here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=601101

Some Marines units also field Springfield Pros.

Copy that, I knew it was floating around here somewhere.....

Bug Splat
08-21-2012, 2:55 PM
$1900 for a 1911 is wasteful even with a support contract. If I order 12,000 pistols you can bet I'm getting them for much cheaper. I place orders for millions of dollars every week on hardware that costs $4k each and in bulk order of 1000+ units I can get the price cut in half to $2k each. Even if Colt quoted them $4k each and worked down, I still think $1900 for a 1911 is too much. I think they should have cost no more than $1000 each. Our guys deserve the best but Colt took them to the bank on that deal. The reviews of these 1911's from colt are not looking good either. They have had cracked slides already. Support and warranty mean absolutely donkey S**T to the Marine who's 1911 just failed him in the field. It either works 100% of the time or its going to be chucked into the sandbox forever.

Press Check
08-21-2012, 3:05 PM
Cost aside, I'm glad to hear that they will be carrying the 1911.

Press Check
08-21-2012, 3:06 PM
On a side note, since inception, I've always thought the FN 5.7 would be a great pistol for our soldiers.

redcliff
08-21-2012, 3:16 PM
$1900 for a 1911 is wasteful even with a support contract. If I order 12,000 pistols you can bet I'm getting them for much cheaper. I place orders for millions of dollars every week on hardware that costs $4k each and in bulk order of 1000+ units I can get the price cut in half to $2k each. Even if Colt quoted them $4k each and worked down, I still think $1900 for a 1911 is too much. I think they should have cost no more than $1000 each. Our guys deserve the best but Colt took them to the bank on that deal. The reviews of these 1911's from colt are not looking good either. They have had cracked slides already. Support and warranty mean absolutely donkey S**T to the Marine who's 1911 just failed him in the field. It either works 100% of the time or its going to be chucked into the sandbox forever.

It's nice you have enough experience to determine the government paid too much without even knowing what is required in the contract. You should go to work for the gov and save us all a ton of money. Apparently the other 1911 manufacturers either charged more or had inferior products for Colt to have won the bid.

In regard to the slides cracking, the pistols were being tested to destruction with no maintenance. They made it to 12k rounds before a major breakage. Since 1911's have a recommended recoil spring replacement at 3k rounds I thought the pistols held up rather well. Yes, if you let your slide recoil to metal to metal contact due to a worn out spring you'll probably break something eventually. Apparently Colt is working on a dual recoil spring assembly for the contract pistols to lessen the chance of a premature failure.

Bartin
08-21-2012, 3:28 PM
On a side note, since inception, I've always thought the FN 5.7 would be a great pistol for our soldiers.
why?

tuna quesadilla
08-21-2012, 3:30 PM
Cost aside, I'm glad to hear that they will be carrying the 1911.

After reading the second statement, I am not surprised that you would make the first.

.45 ftw!
08-21-2012, 3:31 PM
Apparently the other 1911 manufacturers either charged more or had inferior products for Colt to have won the bid.

That's your conclusion? That the government chose the best possible product at the best possible price? You have a lot more faith in that bunch of clowns than I ever will.

redcliff
08-21-2012, 3:41 PM
That's your conclusion? That the government chose the best possible product at the best possible price? You have a lot more faith in that bunch of clowns than I ever will.

Actually I didn't say that. I said either Colt offerred the best price or the other contestants were inferior. It could also be that they felt Colt offerred the best product FOR the price i.e. value. Or it could be the Marines 2nd favorite motto is "If it's not a Colt, its a copy", I dunno, but somehow I doubt that if another product performed better at a lesser cost they would of chose Colt over that product.

skyscraper
08-21-2012, 3:46 PM

Well looks like the interwebers got it all figured out. Case closed.