PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Know About The RIA 1911

Gun_Owner_901
08-21-2012, 2:17 PM
Ok so I am used to shooting Glocks for awhile now, and it's pretty hard to **** up a Glock at least from my experience, The RIA 1911 I bought today but haven't picked up yet will be my first semi auto handgun that I have owned with an external hammer, What is should I know about this brand and model, Is it safe to dry fire, what brand of mag should I pick up for an extra, any help or tip would help out alot.

Dannicus
08-21-2012, 2:27 PM
Not the highest quality, but they run. Dry firing is okay. Best bang for buck 1911. Mine was more reliable than my Kimber.

curtru
08-21-2012, 2:30 PM
Its a good gun I have the tactical and so far the only thing I did was a houge grip and for mags I got several of the cheap ones they work good after tweeking the lips and a willson combat 10 round mag that is flawless. But there are a lot of reviews on them over all its a great gun to me

someR1
08-21-2012, 2:30 PM
I love mine. I have NEVER had one malfunction. It eats any type of ammo; steel, HP, dirty, greasy, whatever. I think it's very accurate for a $500 gun. Worth every penny. Buy one...you won't be disappointed.

Gun_Owner_901
08-21-2012, 3:33 PM
Thanks I know there not the best out there, but I didn't want to start off with a 1911 that's going to cost over $1000.00, but everything I have heard from the forum and Youtube about the RIA 1911 has been good, just trying to find a set of grips that look and fill good at the same time.

hcbr
08-21-2012, 4:25 PM
I agree with some folks here, grips! hahah

acolytes
08-21-2012, 4:28 PM
Just slapping new grips on mine made it looks much better!

toby
08-21-2012, 4:44 PM
Great $500 gun with very little effort and $ it can be superior to many others costing WAY more.

Brandon04GT
08-21-2012, 4:57 PM
It's a fun and affordable series 70 style 1911 to tinker with and have a go at beginner gunsmithing without having to worry too much about cocking up. It's a little rough around the corners and have sharp edges and certain things just should be replaced asap, like the grips.

WWDHD?
08-21-2012, 5:11 PM
Good 1911 entry level gun. I have the Tactical model. I put on some Cylinder & Slides reddish/brown checkered grips I got from Midway and they work and look way better than the stock ones.
I had a few jams of various kinds for the first 300 rounds but it seems to run better now. The factory mag works good. I bought Kimber and a Mec-gar 8-rd mags and they work good so far too. I wish it had better sights. Other than that its a fun gun.
I've heard the customer service is very good if you have a problem. The shop is located in Nevada if you need to send it back for work. Good luck with yours!

Milsurps
08-21-2012, 6:33 PM
Ok so I am used to shooting Glocks for awhile now, and it's pretty hard to **** up a Glock at least from my experience, The RIA 1911 I bought today but haven't picked up yet will be my first semi auto handgun that I have owned with an external hammer, What is should I know about this brand and model, Is it safe to dry fire, what brand of mag should I pick up for an extra, any help or tip would help out alot.
Two new 1911's for us. A RIA and a Kimber Custom II. Chip mccormick 14310 mags run great in both. ~200 rnds in each so far and not a single malfunction. :D

polo.45
08-21-2012, 8:04 PM
This is what I think of RIA... If you put new Recoil spring.. You have a new colt.. :D

trendar5
08-21-2012, 8:34 PM
Arms or bought all Colt mfg equipment in the Philippines and they also make STI Spartan. These guns have good fit, and run reliably.

trendar5
08-21-2012, 8:35 PM
Armscor. Damn auto correct.

Gun_Owner_901
08-21-2012, 8:36 PM
Thanks for all the info guys it's going to help me out alot, any ideas on the best ammo, I know some of you have said the RIA's aren't having any issues with ammo and this may just be but I hate that Russian crap that's out there, I'm gonna need a good range ammo that I can use all day at the range, and then I want a good defense ammo that ill only use when the time is right, no sense in wasting money at the range, know what I mean.

Gun_Owner_901
08-21-2012, 8:38 PM
Also want a good inexpensive paddle holster, or thigh rig any ideas on those, thanks guys

Brandon04GT
08-21-2012, 8:43 PM
I'm just not too crazy about their new logo and how their ejection port flaring looks compared to their old one. I also immediately changed out my recoil spring and mainspring to a Wolff 17 and 21 pounders....probably didn't have to, just just felt like it for some reason.

pheyos
08-21-2012, 9:13 PM
I agree with the spring change. Went with a variable 17.5 Wolf in mine. I changed out the grips for some double-diamond Navidrex and have been happy with them. If you're getting a GI, it'll have a serrated trigger and flat mainspring housing, which are nice to have.

Gun_Owner_901
08-21-2012, 9:27 PM
I went with the 5" GI with upgraded hammer and trigger.

viet4lifeOC
08-21-2012, 9:31 PM
Best bang for the buck is the Arms or 1911 Match IMO.

NSR500
08-21-2012, 9:51 PM
Best value 1911 out there.

curtru
08-21-2012, 10:52 PM
For range ammo what ever is on sale I have been using the dirt cheap federal $28 from Walmart or wwb or the steel case stuff. For hd critical defence but really its what runs best in your gun I still have no failuresand I'm well over 12k rounds. BTW I haven't changed anything but the grips and since I've been thinking about it I might need new springs and sights would add to the hd gun

Gun_Owner_901
08-21-2012, 11:09 PM
@curtru Thanks for the info.

Turtlez06
08-22-2012, 12:14 AM
I also just bought an RIA 1911 picked it up a week ago. Have not fired it yet. I read nothing but great comments about it. Hence I picked one up. It is my first handgun purchase. I got the Mec-gar 8rd magazines for it. Which supposedly is the same as the magazine it comes with. Mec-gar also makes 10rd and 11rd magazines aswell. I had to clean it, it was filthy when I got it. Good luck with it!

Lead Waster
08-22-2012, 12:56 AM
It's a good gun. Period. Not "it's a good beginners gun" or "for the price" or "to tinker with". It's just a darn good gun.

jonjonkills101
08-22-2012, 1:04 AM
damn you guys are lucky, i like my RIA and i'll keep it forever because it was my first hand gun. but i'll have good and bad range days with that gun. (i even changed the recoil spring and polished the ramp a little using wilson combat/tripp follower converted mags)

i am now debating whether to send it to rock island and do a reliability package on it, or just wait and get a higher end 1911 :(

good luck OP i think i just got a "bad" one haha

dem0critus
08-22-2012, 1:16 AM
I love mine. Awesome 1911 for the price. I just wrote in another thread about some of the shortcomings in comparison to a springer loaded or something of the like. Great, reliable 1911. Mine hasn't had any failures in the first 500 rounds, and most people say the looser fit makes em more reliable.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=9165797&postcount=12

On ur Qs, I bought some wilson combat 47d mags, which work very nicely, but I also hear good things about chip mccormick mags, which are a lot cheaper. There was one other problem I ran into with a set of VZ grips I got for it. The ambi safety is really low on the right side, so the safety wouldn't go all the way down until I shaved a little off the grips. Not a biggie tho. You should be totally fine dry firing it. There are people who say not to, but IMO shouldn't be an issue.

I absolutely love the grips by the way they're VZ etc frags and look like this:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/wuhungsix/VZETCFrags.jpg

keenkeen
08-22-2012, 8:18 AM
I love mine. Awesome 1911 for the price. I just wrote in another thread about some of the shortcomings in comparison to a springer loaded or something of the like. Great, reliable 1911. Mine hasn't had any failures in the first 500 rounds, and most people say the looser fit makes em more reliable.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=9165797&postcount=12

On ur Qs, I bought some wilson combat 47d mags, which work very nicely, but I also hear good things about chip mccormick mags, which are a lot cheaper. There was one other problem I ran into with a set of VZ grips I got for it. The ambi safety is really low on the right side, so the safety wouldn't go all the way down until I shaved a little off the grips. Not a biggie tho. You should be totally fine dry firing it. There are people who say not to, but IMO shouldn't be an issue.

I absolutely love the grips by the way they're VZ etc frags and look like this:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/wuhungsix/VZETCFrags.jpg

WOW...VZ makes some amazing grips! That pair is so nice that it turned an RIA into a Les Baer.

:D

KandyRedCoi
08-22-2012, 10:11 AM

RIA made in the Philippines but its probably the best bang of the buck 1911 you can buy...its cheap enough so when u get the need to modify it, the cost will still be cheaper than a lot of 1911 from "other" brands

Dry Firing is OK its not a rimfire afterall

as for mags, ive used the checkmate, act and colt mags, all worked flawless, with mags i dont think its the brand, u just have to make sure the ones you get work 100%

i slight tid bit to consider tho, my 1911 Tactical 9mm had a "loose" extractor, at first, it didnt pull the spent cartridges and out of the breech, but a little bit of tweaking fixed it with the suggestions of a few members here. im not sure if having it SSE had anything to do with it, but after the fix its been my favorite to take to the range and ive made it my nightstand gun alternating with my kimber raptor2

Gun_Owner_901
08-22-2012, 8:35 PM
I've seen some videos on youtube and various comment on these videos talking about rust on the RIA 1911 just wondering if you guys have experienced this with your 1911's, if so what and how should I take care of rust if i were to experience any rust, I live in Northern California and haven't dealt with alot of rust, like I said before I have mainly been shooting Glocks, so any info would be helpful.

kosherbacon
08-22-2012, 11:51 PM
I give my parkered guns a good soak in CLP or other protective oil before use. I haven't had any rust problems so far.

Oh, while I'm at it, my Armscor doesn't like Wilson magazines; they tend to FTF on the last round, even if I load them with only 7. It likes Chip McCormick and ACT(mine actually came with an ACT) just fine, though.

KandyRedCoi
08-23-2012, 12:00 AM
I've seen some videos on youtube and various comment on these videos talking about rust on the RIA 1911 just wondering if you guys have experienced this with your 1911's, if so what and how should I take care of rust if i were to experience any rust, I live in Northern California and haven't dealt with alot of rust, like I said before I have mainly been shooting Glocks, so any info would be helpful.

no rusting problems on my RIA's keep em clean and dry u should be good to go

Brandon04GT
08-23-2012, 8:43 PM

Well I've noticed that the parkerizing on the RIA's are very thin and it wears pretty quickly. Just rub CLP liberally all over the gun and let it sit for a while then wipe it off. Keeping the parkerizing coated in CLP will help prevent rust. You can also wipe your gun with a silicone cloth after handling it too.