PDA

View Full Version : Fun range plinker: Ruger 10/22, Umarex MP5 22lr, Sig 522

SouthpawE46
08-21-2012, 10:35 AM
So I'm looking to get a fun, .22lr plinker to take to the range, have fun, and improve my shooting without breaking the bank.

I've always loved MP5s, so that's my top choice.

However, I've heard nothing but awesome things about Ruger 10/22s. If I were to get one, I'd go the tactical route and make it an EBR. It's also the cheapest of them all, so that's a plus

However, the Sig 522s are pretty awesome as well.

Just thought I'd get your thoughts on these 3, and what you'd get.

Lead Waster
08-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Not in your three, but don't discount the Marlin 795. Can't go wrong with bang for the buck for a plinker with the 795!

Rightwinger
08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
You didn't mention Savage Arms ether but I went with there Model 64 FVXP package w/scope and bull barrel for well under $300.00. Lots of fun for the price!!
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

calif 15-22
08-21-2012, 12:30 PM
I almost went with the Ruger 10/22 and you really can't go wrong with it as it is tried and true.

But after holding the M&P 15-22 I was sold. All controls just like an AR-15 including the bolt locking back and real bolt release.

Mine is the Performance Center version and to be honest initially was a little finicky about ammo. Now I only use CCR Tactical .22lr and it runs perfect. With the CCR .22lr (non-tactical) I sould get jams.

All mentioned are good choices. I personally would either get the M&P or Ruger.

Good luck . . .

RuskieShooter
08-21-2012, 1:42 PM
Second to calif 15-22's post.

I have a S&W M&P 15-22 and love it. Manual of arms is identical to an AR-15, many of the components are interchangable with an AR (trigger group, pistol grip, and stock is mil-spec), and the price is reasonable.

If you are considering the Umarex then get the S&W.

-Ruskie

JackRydden224
08-21-2012, 1:49 PM
I would go with the 10/22. There is a ton of things you can do to upgrade your 10/22. You can do them bit by bit so you won't feel like your wallet is hurting as much.

It's about $250 less than the M&P 15-22/Sig 522 and about $150 less than the GSG5(22). You can buy a nice scope, bipod and magazines for the money you save.

IceMinus
08-21-2012, 4:33 PM
One i haven't fired myself but was wondering about was the mossberg 715T. Turners has it on sale right now for 250 dollars. if i'm not going to pick it up, I would grab the M&P 15-22. I have fired my friends and it is a lot of fun.

TacticalPlinker
08-21-2012, 4:38 PM
I would go with the 10/22. There is a ton of things you can do to upgrade your 10/22. You can do them bit by bit so you won't feel like your wallet is hurting as much.

To say the least. The 10/22 is one of the world's most popular and most versatile firearms, and has decades of proven reliability.

ChopperX
08-21-2012, 4:46 PM
I have a 10/22 and I absolutely love it. I have about 2,000 rounds downrange and I think it shoots great. Very accurate, reliable, and cheap. Also another thing is the Ruger 10/22 is extremely customizable. Every single part can be replaced with an aftermarket custom part.

I like to keep my Ruger looking classic with the wood but I am probably going to get some new internals like a trigger and hammer to make it even better while using my scope for long range shooting.

Meety Peety
08-21-2012, 5:08 PM
If you like the feel of the 10/22, it would probably be the best bang for the buck between those 3. But you do have 3 entirely different platforms listed, so chances are one of them is going to feel better in your hands compared to the other two. For me, 10/22s just don't feel right in stock form which starts a chain reaction of upgrading (which means money spent) and that pretty much eliminates the "best bang for the buck" aspect of it, but still leaves you with a mighty fine rifle.

Oneaudiopro
08-21-2012, 5:28 PM
I almost went with the Ruger 10/22 and you really can't go wrong with it as it is tried and true.

But after holding the M&P 15-22 I was sold. All controls just like an AR-15 including the bolt locking back and real bolt release.

Mine is the Performance Center version and to be honest initially was a little finicky about ammo. Now I only use CCR Tactical .22lr and it runs perfect. With the CCR .22lr (non-tactical) I sould get jams.

All mentioned are good choices. I personally would either get the M&P or Ruger.

Good luck . . .

If you have to shoot a particular type of ammo to allow the gun to function properly I'de pass on that garbage and stick with a Ruger........shoots everytime, all the time.

02Caltaco
08-21-2012, 8:04 PM
I have to say Sig 522 cause I own one :D. I was up in the air between the 15-22 and 522 and preferred the size, weight, feel and the different style of the 522. Its easy to take down for cleaning and from all the reviews Ive read it will eat any ammo. Ive only used Blazer 525rnd. bulk packs, gone through a box and a half with 0 problems. I should also ad that the black dog mags it uses can be found on sale for as cheap as $10 ea., $15 shipped.

It sounds like your looking to get a tactical style .22 and I don't think you can go wrong with either the s&w or sig. I have a hard time seeing the tactical 10-22 as a real tactical style gun, although it could be built up to be one. Some of the other makes like colt., hk, gsg seem to have some issues and around here cost more. The mossberg is cheap and to me felt very cheap, I know its a real gun and would satisfy your plinking needs but for me it just looks and feels to much like a toy.

Theres an indoor range nearby that rents guns, you may have a place like that near you where you could get a feel for some of the rifles your considering.

JackRydden224
08-21-2012, 8:42 PM
To say the least. The 10/22 is one of the world's most popular and most versatile firearms, and has decades of proven reliability.

Pretty much. I feel silly that I said I never wanted a 10/22 because everybody has one. I now have a big boot in my mouth.

The 10/22 has third party accessories for just about every part. From low-end to high-end. It can be your .22 M1 carbine or your .22 G36.

SouthpawE46
08-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Yeah I'd definitely go the tactical route and put a scope and bipod on it to make it somewhat of a long range-ish rifle

RuskieShooter
08-22-2012, 7:33 AM
If you have to shoot a particular type of ammo to allow the gun to function properly I'de pass on that garbage and stick with a Ruger........shoots everytime, all the time.

Its because he has the Performance Center model which has tighter chamber tolerances to improve accuracy but makes it ammo picky. I have the "regular" model and it eats EVERYTHING I put in it (mine has used Fed bulk, Rem bulk, and CCI with 0 failures).

-Ruskie

defcon
08-22-2012, 8:04 AM
i have semi autos like a 10/22 and Marlin 795

id recommend a.22LR bolt action like a Marlin XT-22 or Savage MKII

i realized i had more fun cycling a bullet manually with my bolt actions over the semi auto

with those 3, you cant go wrong with the 10/22

i still want to pick up the HK MP5 later on

calif 15-22
08-22-2012, 9:27 AM
Its because he has the Performance Center model which has tighter chamber tolerances to improve accuracy but makes it ammo picky. I have the "regular" model and it eats EVERYTHING I put in it (mine has used Fed bulk, Rem bulk, and CCI with 0 failures).

-Ruskie

Ruskie has it right. I knew it when I bought it, but wanted it for longer range work. It is far from a "piece of garbage" it just likes the CCI Tactical .22lr better than the other stuff. Zero failure to fire or eject with CCI.

I use excusively for target work with a Nikon P-22 2-7x32 scope. Very fun platform

johnjohn301
08-22-2012, 5:56 PM
So I'm looking to get a fun, .22lr plinker to take to the range, have fun, and improve my shooting without breaking the bank.

EVERYONE should own at least one 10/22. When you get tired of the out-of-box version, there is no limit to what you can do with one - on the cheap!

Regards!

tiger
08-23-2012, 10:56 PM
hey everybody, I'm sort of in the same boat and looking for a 10/22, any tips on where to find a quality used 10/22?

I've been looking at Calguns Private Sales and Gunbroker (doesn't seem very CA friendly).

thanks all!

KandyRedCoi
08-24-2012, 1:49 AM
get both 10/22 and Sig 522, i did :D

one for target/accuracy type shots and one to fill the tactiCOOL run and gun aspect

roushstage2
08-24-2012, 2:34 AM
Thanks for all the input!

Yeah I'd definitely go the tactical route and put a scope and bipod on it to make it somewhat of a long range-ish rifle
You'll want a Marlin then, unless you want to upgrade your 10/22 barrel. If you want an AR-type rifle, the M&P15-22 is the only way to go!

Stardude82
08-24-2012, 3:33 AM
Why not just get an AR? A new Frontier Armory Lower is $100 with a ATI 22LR $350 upper? Almost the same price as an M&P15-22.

Edit: Turns out the ATI upper comes with a crap bolt.

Bill I Am
08-24-2012, 4:39 AM
hey everybody, I'm sort of in the same boat and looking for a 10/22, any tips on where to find a quality used 10/22?

I've been looking at Calguns Private Sales and Gunbroker (doesn't seem very CA friendly).

thanks all!

Turner's. On Sale. Right now! (I ordered my Ruger 10/22 All Weather and it is "in jail", right now.)

mcholak
08-24-2012, 7:15 AM
I agree with all the comments above, I really don't think you'd be disappointing with any of them and this is probably the best time ever to buy a .22 since there are so many great options. I have the HK MP5-22 which is the HK licenses, Walther built version. I love it. The trigger isn't perfect but for what I'm doing with it I can't complain. I haven't shot the GSG version but I've heard good things about that too.

defcon
08-24-2012, 7:39 AM
Turner's. On Sale. Right now! (I ordered my Ruger 10/22 All Weather and it is "in jail", right now.)

whats the sale price?

Oneaudiopro
08-24-2012, 7:44 AM

-Ruskie

Hmmmm....................yeah, ok

RuskieShooter
08-24-2012, 8:05 AM
Hmmmm....................yeah, ok

From page 10 in the manual:

The “Laney” chamber found in the M&P 15-22 Performance Center Model Rifle is a match chamber designed specifically for semi-autos and is different from a standard chamber in that it will not accommodate the longer case of the CCI® Stinger® brand ammunition.

-Ruskie

Bill I Am
08-24-2012, 8:17 AM
whats the sale price?

$219 for the "basic" 10/22 with either stock.

$239 for the all-weather that I got.

:D

defcon
08-24-2012, 9:06 AM
$219 for the "basic" 10/22 with either stock.

$239 for the all-weather that I got.

:D

cool. did you check for a calguns discount? its normally $199 for the basic which i used last time.

Bill I Am
08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
cool. did you check for a calguns discount? its normally $199 for the basic which i used last time.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh........I honestly did NOT know that there as a Calguns discount!

First I have heard of it! (Of course, it WAS on sale so that might not have applied..still...now I feel sorta stupid.)
:confused:

defcon
08-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh........I honestly did NOT know that there as a Calguns discount!

First I have heard of it! (Of course, it WAS on sale so that might not have applied..still...now I feel sorta stupid.)
:confused:

this was a few 4-6 months ago when the basic rugers were $219. its in the vendor forum as a sticky. i still got it $199 even with the $219 sale.

so you get the turners discount plus the calguns discount. im waiting for that discount to come again.

Paul053
08-24-2012, 1:00 PM
Owner of a 522 and soon to be owner of an AR22. I just love that sig man...crazy reliability and just fun as hell. I'm on a little reliability test kick and I've shot over 1000 rounds of federal walmart ammo without a single failure. Sorry it did suffer failures to chamber but that's only because I let my buddy shoot it and he kept on riding the charging handle. Accurate as all hell too...I zeroed it at 25 yards but was able to hit the small targets on the 100 yard line at ASR with pretty damn good repeatability.

Bill I Am
08-24-2012, 1:10 PM
this was a few 4-6 months ago when the basic rugers were $219. its in the vendor forum as a sticky. i still got it $199 even with the $219 sale.

so you get the turners discount plus the calguns discount. im waiting for that discount to come again.

Hey I have to get my gun out of jail next Thursday...is there any Calguns discount for say, extra mags and a rifle bag?