PDA

View Full Version : Posting photos of guns with serial numbers

SouthpawE46
08-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Is it a bad idea? I mean, obviously not blatantly, but if i forget to blur/black out the serial number, should I be worried? Or is it mainly a paranoia/better to do it thing?

I'm on over 15 automotive and car related forums, and a lot of people blur out their license plates. I don't bother, since thousands of people see your plate a day.

What do you think?

Carbuncle
08-21-2012, 12:37 AM
I don't see the point, if it was in a shop pretty much anyone could have asked to see it and easily had memorized it long enough to write it down as soon as they were out of the shop. The box my handgun came in also had the serial number clearly printed in big, bold type.
I'm assuming here so I may be incorrect, but once registered doesn't the firearms database the government keeps match the make and model of the firearm to it's serial number, similar to how license plate numbers are matched to the make and model of the vehicle? So unless whatever criminal is sticking them onto the same type of gun, what's the point? Unless some idiot politician(yes, I realize that's a bit redundant) forces us to start listing the serial numbers of the firearms we own on our persons/vehicles, which I really wouldn't put past some of them, cops can't really run the serial number till they have the firearm on hand. At which point the criminal has probably already committed a crime with it.