PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat 1911 Magazine questions

jvpark
08-20-2012, 8:35 PM
So I'm looking to buy some 1911 magazines and with so many choices I was directed to the Wilson Combat 1911 magazines.

Can someone tell me the difference between the model 47Dx and 500x magazines?

redcliff
08-20-2012, 8:49 PM
The 500x series are the ETM magazines which were designed to overcome some of the short-comings of the 47d. The ETM's have a longer magazine tube to better hold 8 rounds and still have room for a longer, stronger magazine spring giving improved spring life and less inertial feed issues. ETM's also have a follower that is anti-tilt and won't dig into alloy frame feedramps.

I've used/own many ETM's (and prior to their introduction the 47d's) but I must say I prefer the Tripp Research Cobra Mag's; I think they're a little bit better. http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html They have what I believe to be a superior follower that is also safe with alloy frame feed ramps and the whole magazine is a work of art, especially with the aluminum base plates. YMMV and I'm sure you'd probably be happy with either the ETM or Tripp Research mags.

mlazarus5388
08-20-2012, 9:01 PM
I currently use the 500 series, ETM. The reason I use the Wilsons over anything else is that all magazines wear out. Wilson has replaced dozens of them for me at no cost over the years. There might be better magazines, but the Wilsons work well and I like getting them replaced for free when the lips spread, or the springs go soft.
Mike

INFAMOUS762X39
08-20-2012, 9:35 PM
Chip McCormick Power Mags, Tripp, Wilson. Are all great.

I see that your a fellow Paintballer. I am currently the Head Gun Tech at Ansgear Paintball.

Press Check
08-20-2012, 9:44 PM
Forget Wilson. Tripp Research, FTW.

Cyc Wid It
08-20-2012, 9:53 PM
Tripp, then ETM. I don't use 10 rounders in .45, but apparently McCormick makes the most reliable 10 rounders.

Someone will undoubtedly chime in and say "the generic ones my gun came with work just fine!"

Q619
08-20-2012, 9:59 PM
I've been using the 47D's for years. They've been great with everything but Les Baer guns.

kouye
08-20-2012, 10:03 PM
I've been using the 47D's for years. They've been great with everything but Les Baer guns.

What was the issue with the Les Baer guns?

Hmm...that's not good. I just ordered 3 ETM's for my LB...hopefully they will work.

jessegpresley
08-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Forget Wilson. Tripp Research, FTW.

Will Tripp send you new mags if you send them your old worn out mags like Wilson does?

AeroEngi
08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
The Wilson 47d mags don't work very well in my springfield TRP. I did some research and settled on the 8 rd "extended" Checkmate mags. They've been flawless so far.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jessegpresley
08-20-2012, 10:18 PM
The Wilson 47d mags don't work very well in my springfield TRP. I did some research and settled on the 8 rd "extended" Checkmate mags. They've been flawless so far.

What was wrong with the Mec Gars it came with?

AeroEngi
08-20-2012, 10:21 PM
What was wrong with the Mec Gars it came with?

Absolutely nothing. I actually favor the factory mags. I just didn't wanna be the guy who says "the generic mags my gun came with work just fine" lol.

Q619
08-20-2012, 10:33 PM
What was the issue with the Les Baer guns?

Hmm...that's not good. I just ordered 3 ETM's for my LB...hopefully they will work.

They wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round. I ended up having my smith fit a new egw slide stop and they worked fine. Baer fits some of their slide stops funny. Wasn't the mags but the gun. Same problem in another Baer.

Press Check
08-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Will Tripp send you new mags if you send them your old worn out mags like Wilson does?

I had 6 ETM magazines that I could not insert into my Springfield with the action closed, nor would they feed any ammunition. Contacted John Lahue at Wilson, and first, he suggested the problem was the S&A magazine guide. When I told him that the issues existed with or without the magazine guide installed, he suggested that I probably purchased new / old stock 500 series ETM magazines that had problems with the feed lip making contact with the ejector on Springfield and Kimber pistols.

Did he offer to replace them? Nope.

Legasat
08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
I have had zero problems with the CMC Power Mags or the 47D's in my Dan Wesson.

Fishslayer
08-20-2012, 11:12 PM
I own 2 of the 47D & think they are overpriced & overrated. They have been flawless though since I replaced the springs with 7 round units.

For the money I like MecGar & Checkmate. Checkmate 7 rounders with hybrid lips & heavy springs feed the bluntskull ammo great.

Cyc Wid It
08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Tripp won't replace your old worn out mags... but they will be better mags.

jvpark
08-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Chip McCormick Power Mags, Tripp, Wilson. Are all great.

I see that your a fellow Paintballer. I am currently the Head Gun Tech at Ansgear Paintball.

Nice... Cspaintball is my shop and know the owner very well.

Gonna research Tripp

ih8needles
08-21-2012, 1:24 PM
Nice... Cspaintball is my shop and know the owner very well.

Gonna research Tripp

HAHA Nice to see you around here jeff!! its skittles.... and im liking the chip power mags in my 1911...

theneko
08-21-2012, 1:47 PM
For Tripp would you get the "flex" or "hybrid" follower...?

cindynles
08-22-2012, 9:52 AM
I've used/own many ETM's (and prior to their introduction the 47d's) but I must say I prefer the Tripp Research Cobra Mag's; I think they're a little bit better. http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html They have what I believe to be a superior follower that is also safe with alloy frame feed ramps and the whole magazine is a work of art, especially with the aluminum base plates. YMMV and I'm sure you'd probably be happy with either the ETM or Tripp Research mags.

I tend to agree with Redcliff, Tripp Cobra Mag's are the only 1911 mags that I have personally seen work on multiple 1911 platforms (SA, Kimber, S&W, Rock Island). I have personal experience with a 47D that refuses to work in my SA Loaded, but has no problems at all in my co-workers MC Operator. The Cobra mags seem to work in everything.

I have now updated all of my mag collection (Chip, 47D, Metgar, and SA) with Tripp Super-7 kits and they all work reliably now. My USPSA mags (single stack) are SA factory mags (I used the loaded coupon before I really knew how they worked, so I have butt load of them :facepalm:) with Super-7 kits and I haven't any mag related stoppages yet (knock on wood). The only reason I don't use Cobra Mags at matches is because I don't want to ding them up.

Going forward I am only buying Tripp mags. They are the only ones I trust completely (although I haven't tried the Wilson ETM's yet).

The best advice I ever got concerning 1911 mags is to buy one (or borrow one from a friend) and see if it works in YOUR 1911 before you buy a bunch. Had I followed this advice I would not have a box of assorted mags and instead I would have alot more Cobra Mags.

kouye
08-23-2012, 5:42 PM
Just received my Wilson Combat ETM 8-rounders and cycle through each one of them w/o failure and the slide locked when empty in my Les Baer. I will try it in my SA Range Officer on Monday when I pick it up.

SilverTauron
08-23-2012, 5:56 PM
Acknowledging the subject of this thead, I must put in a positive word for the 7 and 8 round Kimber Tac-Mags. The mag tube is solid, its finished in a beautiful stainless coating which is durable enough to resist function inhibiting wear, and after using them in my PT1911, a Rock Island Tactical plus a Remington 1911 R1 this brand is my 'litmus test' magazine. Not one failure with any of those weapons using these mags. For fun I use the factory mags to varying effects. When I carry for CCW, these are what I use.

Xtracrispy
08-23-2012, 6:02 PM
FWIW, the stock mags that came with my Sig 1911 work great. I got a Wilson 47d and it won't lock the slide back, and the slide jams on the follower.

SilverTauron
08-23-2012, 6:50 PM
FWIW, the stock mags that came with my Sig 1911 work great. I got a Wilson 47d and it won't lock the slide back, and the slide jams on the follower.

There are exceptions, but most stock 1911 mags have something in common with used motor oil, in that both items should be disposed of at once for better replacements.

redcliff
08-23-2012, 7:46 PM
For Tripp would you get the "flex" or "hybrid" follower...?

The Hybrid follower comes stock on the 8R-45-RG which is what I buy for my .45acp 1911's.

AeroEngi
08-23-2012, 8:26 PM
There are exceptions, but most stock 1911 mags have something in common with used motor oil, in that both items should be disposed of at once for better replacements.

What you say here is not what I've experienced. I love my factory Springfield mags. They've been the most reliable by far.

SilverTauron
08-23-2012, 9:07 PM
What you say here is not what I've experienced. I love my factory Springfield mags. They've been the most reliable by far.

RIA 1911 tactical: Act-mag in box failed to feed hollowpoints when fully loaded.
Taurus PT1911 :Factory mags work just fine in the gun, but when used with my Remington 1911 I had a failure to feed jam. This one is somewhat shaky, since the mags work fine in the gun they came in and the R1 was fresh out the box when it happened.

Manufacturers don't make a lot of profit on 1911s compared to poly frame Glocks and the like.They thus put el-cheapo stock mags in the box with the hope that the owner won't run enough rounds to cause the feed lips to fail, which they will with enough trips to the firing line. Some factory mags have tough mag tubes which hold their shape. Most are tinfoil jobs which will start to spread their feed lips like a Tijuana hooker. Its part of the reason 1911s have such a reputation as a "jam o matic", because after 100+ rounds the pot metal factory mags start to warp their feed lips. Without prior knowledge, the owner then assumes the gun is to blame.

It need not be emphasized that without a functional magazine, the gun is just as useless. Periodically the wise 1911 owner will check the tops of their magazines for feed lip spread. If the mag top looking from the back looks like someone pried the lips apart at the top , its had it.

A quote from a man far more knowledgeable about arms than I am regarding this topic:

When it comes to mags, 1911s are notoriously finicky. Factories save money by providing cheap mags with new guns. Vickers advises that you simply throw away the mag that comes with your gun and get Wilson, McCormick or Tripp mags.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/06/08/read-this-before-you-buy-your-first-1911/