PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a CZ 97 B, any opinions?

jj805
08-20-2012, 6:30 PM
Basically what the title says. I am thinking about getting a CZ 97 B, and would like to hear what your opinions are. Thanks in advance.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 6:41 PM
Have you held it ?? Very cool gun. Just the grips are super über chunky. And I have huge hands. You can feel the action shooting when you pull the trigger which is awesome. That and it's CZ accuracy and reliability for a 45.

Synergy
08-20-2012, 6:45 PM
I really like the CZ-75s, I will be adding one to my collection soon. My only gripe is the narrow slide takes a little bit to get used to while racking.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 6:47 PM
The 75's are beautiful inside and out.
He wants a 97b. Again grips are wayyyy chunkier then a 75b. If I could have a smaller grip I'd like it better.

Synergy
08-20-2012, 6:50 PM
The 75's are beautiful inside and out.
He wants a 97b. Again grips are wayyyy chunkier then a 75b. If I could have a smaller grip I'd like it better.

I missed the 97, so used to seeing CZ and 99% of the time its about a 75. :o

CBlacksheep
08-20-2012, 6:50 PM
As someone who owns a CZ-97B, I can tell you only great things. After about a thousand rounds, it's about the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. I do have large hands, so it feels just right. Some others who've held and shot it think it's much too heavy and large, but personal preference is pretty important with a purchase like this.

For those who don't like the stock walnut grips, there are aftermarket aluminum grips that slim down the profile. I've got some but have yet to put them on. The only thing you may not like is that the safety is only accessible when the pistol is in battery. If you want anymore information on the weapon, go ahead and shoot me a PM. I'd be glad to help you make your decision.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 6:52 PM
Thats the thing!! I did shoot them with the CZ rubber(aluminum?) grips. Just to big for me lengthwise anyways. But the slide is really easy to rack and fun to shoot!!!

cannondalem600
08-20-2012, 6:55 PM
A large grip, similar to an M&P with the large backstrap. I have medium sized hands and can't hit the mag release without shifting my hand. I can't reach the slide release with my thumb, which doesn't matter so much as I rack it manually.

Still, 10 rounds of 45 ACP and awesome accuracy, smooth single action trigger makes this my new favorite 45. The double action is smoother than the 75 B. I just wish the 97BD was on the roster, I like the decocking feature.

Can't go wrong, IMHO, for $600 before taxes and fees. I hear people are starting to use CZmore in USPSA competitions.

jj805
08-20-2012, 6:56 PM
Have you held it ?? Very cool gun. Just the grips are super über chunky. And I have huge hands. You can feel the action shooting when you pull the trigger which is awesome. That and it's CZ accuracy and reliability for a 45.

I have held one, but I haven't shot one. None of the LGS have them in stock, but about a week ago I was at the LGS and another customer had ordered one and was there to put it in jail. He was nice enough to let me hold it. The grips are kind of chunky, but I think that will be OK. The gun did feel good in my hands. I didn't want to dry fire somebody else's gun, so I haven't felt the trigger pull.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 6:59 PM
The trigger pull is nice and smooth. If you really want one I know someone who's selling one barely used, beautiful in every way if your interested.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-20-2012, 7:00 PM
I really wish they would of made it a single stack and just extend the mag to make the grip less bulky

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 7:02 PM
That would be awesome. But still my 75b SA had the sexiest ergos I've ever felt and is accurate as poop

Buddhabelly
08-20-2012, 7:04 PM
It's a huge gun. The grip is like holding a 2x4. I sold mine because of it.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 7:09 PM
Although I am kind of a CZ fanboy I'd prob skip this and hunt down another SA in 9mm. Or an sp01 in 9 for shooting matches. Then hunt down a 75b in .40 in SS

Synergy
08-20-2012, 7:24 PM
It's a huge gun. The grip is like holding a 2x4. I sold mine because of it.

People say that about the 92/M9 series and even my girl likes that grip. :p

gwanghoops
08-20-2012, 7:25 PM
Think upscaled CZ75 in all dimensions but not in a good way -- long DA trigger reach and bigger than 1911 grips make it seem fat with medium sized hands but doesn't feel heavy. Stock trigger action is average -- nothing special. With only two range trips, I can't comment on accuracy. At $660 purchased locally, it seems like a bargain compared to other .45 choices.

Do not buy this gun without handling it!!!

carmad
08-21-2012, 6:51 AM
I have smallish hands, and the grips are thick, plan to get the thin aluminum grips.
However it just feels right in my hand, is spot on accurate, and because it is fairly heavy recoil is good. I have to changed grip position to get to the mag release, but thats the only real ergo issue I have.
I reload, and it was a little picky with both flat nose and SWC, round nose feed no problem, once you get the OAL correct for the individual gun.
Really happy with it, as it was my first 45, but as others have said, make sure you handle one.
Oh and everyone who has tried it wants one.

Rorge Retson
08-21-2012, 7:13 AM
Held one just yesterday as a matter of fact. I have large hands, and yes, it is borderline too large for me. And as hoops said, you have to reach into the next county to find the trigger for that first DA pull. This coming from someone with big mitts.

Definitely pick one up and handle it before making any decisions.

zfields
08-21-2012, 7:18 AM
Although I am kind of a CZ fanboy I'd prob skip this and hunt down another SA in 9mm. Or an sp01 in 9 for shooting matches. Then hunt down a 75b in .40 in SS

I'd skip a SA 9mm if you are planning on shooting any USPSA matches.
You will be stuck in limited, and not being able to make major PF will put you are a pretty large disadvantage.

I'm seen to many reports of bad things happening to .40cal CZ's to want to go that route for a limited gun. YMMV of course.

For a production gun, hard to beat an SP01. In IDPA you have to do some work to strip down weight to make ESP though.

Rorge Retson
08-21-2012, 7:31 AM
I'd skip a SA 9mm if you are planning on shooting any USPSA matches.
You will be stuck in limited, and not being able to make major PF will put you are a pretty large disadvantage.

I'm seen to many reports of bad things happening to .40cal CZ's to want to go that route for a limited gun. YMMV of course.

For a production gun, hard to beat an SP01. In IDPA you have to do some work to strip down weight to make ESP though.

Can you be a little more specific about the .40 problems and where you've seen these reports?

zfields
08-21-2012, 7:35 AM
Can you be a little more specific about the .40 problems and where you've seen these reports?

Cracked frames.

Both CZforums, and Brian Enos. Keep in mind these were competition guns, ran hard and high round counts. Good reason why you don't see many shooting limited/open, but if someone is shooting a 75 based gun its most likely a EAA/Tanfoglio

Euphoria526
08-21-2012, 7:55 AM
Ive done the research myself from what I have seen the ONLY frames to crack were vary specific models. Basically anything made after 03 I think should be ok. I'm not running my SA .40 in comp.
Well zfields what CZ would you run in a match. If you say glock imma find you and smack you hahaha
And that SS SA in .40 would be my HD gun.

Bug Splat
08-21-2012, 7:58 AM
Just pulled out my cz97b lastnight and was amazed at how nice it felt in the hand. I have a set of hogue wrap around grips that are very comfy. Never did like the walnut grips. Accuracy is second to none out of the box. the weight makes the 45 feel like a 9mm. very smooth action and tight lockup. The DA pull is not great, its very long and heavy. SA is better but still could use some improvement. I converted it to SA only, heavily modified the hammer/sear engagement and removed the FPB. Also added pre and post travel screws to the trigger and tightened up the barrel bushing. It is now amazing! I've never felt a 1911 this nice. I have no doubt that in the right hands my 97b will beat any 1911 it meets.

zfields
08-21-2012, 8:03 AM
Ive done the research myself from what I have seen the ONLY frames to crack were vary specific models. Basically anything made after 03 I think should be ok. I'm not running my SA .40 in comp.
Well zfields what CZ would you run in a match. If you say glock imma find you and smack you hahaha
And that SS SA in .40 would be my HD gun.

I have a link to how to do friggin trigger work on a CZ in my sigline, and you think I would say a glock? I'd go with some form of a 2011 for limited, just do to the pure volume of parts/holsters available for them.

That's fine you feel comfortable with it. I'm not. The models specifically I've seen reports of having issues were the 75b's. Considering they are made basically the same way as the 75SAs, I wouldn't put huge faith in it for a competition gun.

Euphoria526
08-21-2012, 8:17 AM
So you don't think I could/should find a 75b in .40 and shoot limited? I was just gonna go with my p01 for some deadwood boys stuff, nothing too official for now. If I could I get a target shadow i would I've been looking at the spo1's as well. Just can't exactly afford it right now lol.

bruss01
08-21-2012, 8:18 AM
I have one and like it a lot.

You really should handle one before buying it. It's significantly larger in every way than a regular 75b. I have "large hands" but not long fingers... The DA pull is too much reach for me, but the SA is just fine. I do shift my grip around a bit to manipulate some of the controls. Everything others have said is true... it's big, it's accurate, it's 10 rounds of .45 ACP goodness on tap... and with a good action job it can be made super-sweet.

Mine has never liked to feed hollow points reliably. That may just be a quirk of my particular gun. I only ever shoot hardball and single action, so the drawbacks don't bother me.

But like others have said, you'll likely love it, or hate it. I really like mine. Would I run right out and get another if mine turned up missing? Maybe not. But am I keeping this one? Oh HELL yeah.

zfields
08-21-2012, 8:22 AM
So you don't think I could/should find a 75b in .40 and shoot limited? I was just gonna go with my p01 for some deadwood boys stuff, nothing too official for now. If I could I get a target shadow i would I've been looking at the spo1's as well. Just can't exactly afford it right now lol.

First off, if you're going to shoot limited, you are more then likely going to want either an SAO gun, or convert it to a SAO action. Second I would for sure look at something that has a full dustcover to get some more weight up front.

Like I said, I love CZs, but I think for limited I *personally* would go a different route. I'm planning on building up a limited gun here pretty soon, but more then likely it will be a 2011 based gun opposed to a CZ75/EAA based gun.

JeremyS
08-21-2012, 9:42 AM
Stuart at CZ Custom has a "glossy blue" 97B and a gloss blue 75b for sale right now.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=47621.0

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Bfnak5J9rEY/UDPIVWcTDqI/AAAAAAAACP0/hIqmFS2_c2w/s800/DSC_0002.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2-Et-SS-k88/UDPIUDTY46I/AAAAAAAACPs/mh_LYKMJN6s/s800/DSC_0003.jpg

Fishslayer
08-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I missed the 97, so used to seeing CZ and 99% of the time its about a 75. :o

Some people wanna run with the Big Dogs.:D

czrami
08-21-2012, 1:17 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/CZ75%20SA/CZ%20STUFF/CZ97B/97ew2.jpg

I wish I still had it!

Euphoria526
08-21-2012, 1:43 PM
First off, if you're going to shoot limited, you are more then likely going to want either an SAO gun, or convert it to a SAO action. Second I would for sure look at something that has a full dustcover to get some more weight up front.

Like I said, I love CZs, but I think for limited I *personally* would go a different route. I'm planning on building up a limited gun here pretty soon, but more then likely it will be a 2011 based gun opposed to a CZ75/EAA based gun.

But really why do I want more weight upfront? If I'm accurate enough with it I wouldn't need to simply compensate for the recoil right? I'm not one to really über mod 'race' my gun out kinda guy. Maybe I should shoot production? Locate a brand new SA in .40. And go to work Hahaha. That and I'd personally prefer to shoot a CZ for matchs. Especially when i know most people won't. The gun is proven with history. Don't see why I shouldn't use it to compete.

zfields
08-21-2012, 2:04 PM
But really why do I want more weight upfront? If I'm accurate enough with it I wouldn't need to simply compensate for the recoil right? I'm not one to really über mod 'race' my gun out kinda guy. Maybe I should shoot production? Locate a brand new SA in .40. And go to work Hahaha. That and I'd personally prefer to shoot a CZ for matchs. Especially when i know most people won't. The gun is proven with history. Don't see why I shouldn't use it to compete.

A 75 SA is not legal for production. It has to be DA/SA.

And yes the rail/dustcover is to manage recoil. Believe me, it makes a big difference, even shooting 9mm. When you see guys shooting limited, and you see there muzzle hardly raise, the difference will be very visible from a gun that is not built for that division.

Just shoot with what you have, then start deciding what direction you want to go in. Its not like shooting at a static line at all, and your taste in equipment may change drastically.

Savion
08-21-2012, 2:52 PM
I have one and it is very accurate gun. The trigger is smooth and mine breaks at 5 lb. A lot of people feel that the grip is too big.
I have small hands and it is ok on the grip but the trigger reach on the DA is long (very long). If you don't shoot DA then you should be ok. Heck my daughter is 5 ft and 90 lb. Shoot better than me with the CZ 97B even with her much smaller hands. but she can only shoot SA.

Euphoria526
08-21-2012, 3:11 PM
A 75 SA is not legal for production. It has to be DA/SA.

And yes the rail/dustcover is to manage recoil. Believe me, it makes a big difference, even shooting 9mm. When you see guys shooting limited, and you see there muzzle hardly raise, the difference will be very visible from a gun that is not built for that division.

Just shoot with what you have, then start deciding what direction you want to go in. Its not like shooting at a static line at all, and your taste in equipment may change drastically.

I think my Maine issue is I really have no idea what I'm talking about. Hahaha. Any chance you can guide me to where I can get the rules/gun guide fire these?

zfields
08-21-2012, 3:12 PM
I think my Maine issue is I really have no idea what I'm talking about. Hahaha. Any chance you can guide me to where I can get the rules/gun guide fire these?

http://uspsa.com/

http://www.idpa.com/

Euphoria526
08-21-2012, 3:37 PM
Hahaha knew it was that easy.
I am admitting now. This one was laziness hahaha

SPUTTER
08-21-2012, 5:43 PM
This one is my favorite pistol to shoot. It fits perfect in my hand and I'd say my hands are average size. After putting a few hundred rounds threw it, it only gets better. If you are ok with how it feels in your hand, buy it and you won't be disappointed.

Just wondering if any of you other guys that own this gun have used hollow points?

markw
08-21-2012, 6:27 PM
I have a 97B, 75B in .40, and an SP01. Love all of them, I like the SP01 the best, the 97B is a bit on the big side gripwise. I've been thinking of going with the cz custom thin grips for it.

Bug Splat
08-21-2012, 6:42 PM
This one is my favorite pistol to shoot. It fits perfect in my hand and I'd say my hands are average size. After putting a few hundred rounds threw it, it only gets better. If you are ok with how it feels in your hand, buy it and you won't be disappointed.

Just wondering if any of you other guys that own this gun have used hollow points?

I have tested a lot of HP ammo and have modified the feed ramp to allow wider mouth rounds. I also modified the mags to promote nose rise. Both mods helped with feeding but it was still jamming ever few mags. Not acceptable to me as a defense pistol. FMJ and Powerball rounds feed 100%. I have since converted the pistol to a range/competition only gun which IMO it is better suited for. This is an amazing accurate pistol but those Czechs clearly did not have access to HP ammo or even considered it when they designed it. Its a round nose bullet only pistol.