PDA

View Full Version : Case rupture Winchester '333' bulk

covingtonhouse
08-20-2012, 6:08 PM
Anyone had any of these rupture on them? Had a rim rupture today on one I had from a box about 2 yrs old. Any other problems any one noticed? I've still got about a thousand rounds of this stuff. 36gr. CWHP.

Ubermcoupe
08-20-2012, 6:13 PM
Pictures of the case? I’ve had a few with bulged cases but never anything that ruptured/exploded.

Chaos47
08-20-2012, 6:21 PM
Never had one personally, but I have seen photos posted here of one.
Generally it was thought to be an out of battery fire from the looks of the photo.

Post a photo up if you have it for us to look at.

Rusty Scabbard
08-20-2012, 6:39 PM
I haven't had a problem. I've shot around 1300 rounds of the stuff. Had 3 fail-to-ignite duds and 1 slam fire so far. The slam was likely no fault of the ammo.
I was sketched out on this ammo due to the stories I've read here, but so far it's been OK.
All mine was purchased around 6 months ago.

covingtonhouse
08-20-2012, 7:02 PM
Unfortunately I got the case mixed in with the rest of them and it ended up getting swept up. I had the pry the case out of the chamber. It looked to be fully seated, and the rifle in question is a marlin 57 lever action. Locks up pretty tight. The split was directly opposite of the pin. Split was on the rim and exrended about an eighth ot an inch into the head and case. Bullet cleared the barrel and actually ended up on paper. I originally thought squib until I saw smoke from the lever/trigger group and around the receiver/barrel joint at the stock.

Chaos47
08-20-2012, 7:10 PM
Very interesting sounds like a weak / thin walled case.

Glad you and the rifle are ok

Dannicus
08-20-2012, 7:35 PM
I've actually had a couple with that stuff in a SA22. It blew out the primer rim and dumped a bunch of powder residue into the action. No damage and the rounds all still left the barrel, thank goodness.

Fjold
08-20-2012, 7:43 PM
I've had at least one blown case from most bulk ammo over the years. Before the internet we didn't worry about it too much.

covingtonhouse
08-21-2012, 5:37 PM
I've had at least one blown case from most bulk ammo over the years. Before the internet we didn't worry about it too much.

Yeah....since it was a lever gun I wasn't too worried about damage. I generally shoot bolt action and have only a semi auto pistol which doesn't see daylight very often. Might have been a little more interesting if it had been that.

G-forceJunkie
08-21-2012, 7:52 PM
It happens sometimes with .22's, reguardless of brand. Important thing is to ensure the bullet cleared the barrel before you fire again.

Hoop
08-22-2012, 5:11 PM
I've actually had a couple with that stuff in a SA22. It blew out the primer rim and dumped a bunch of powder residue into the action. No damage and the rounds all still left the barrel, thank goodness.

Yeap I had that exact same thing happen with winchester 333. I bought mine maybe 4 months ago.

eviioiive
08-22-2012, 5:24 PM
had a few duds and a few FTFs and I'm not even half way through the box.. wont be buying 333 again.

gemini1
08-23-2012, 5:33 PM
It happens sometimes with .22's, reguardless of brand. Important thing is to ensure the bullet cleared the barrel before you fire again.

^This.
My sister gave me her old stock (10 years old) of win super X. It was all shooting fine, when I suddenly felt something hit me in the face, the pistol ejected the case close to the bench and I saw the ruptured rim. Had to borrow a rod to make sure the bullet went out the barrel.