PDA

View Full Version : Stack-On Gun Safes - You get what you pay for

ChrisToad
08-20-2012, 5:30 PM
Stack-On Gun Safes - You get what you pay for

About 2 years ago I started a search for a budget friendly gun safe. I didn't have $500+, but needed to secure my guns at home so they weren't just laying around. I ended up getting a '10 Gun' safe from Stack-On for $249 (on sale from $299)

Rather than go on a huge rant, here's why I will not buy another on of these:

These safes are made in China
In less than two years, a weld on one of the hinges broke loose
Customer Service accused me of hanging on the door, or putting too much weight on it (a Glock mind you)
Customer Service 'missed' my email for over a week when I sent in what they requested
They shipped me a 'comparable' model, which I then discovered was 29% smaller than the original
They refused to send me a safe that had similar internal dimensions to the original
The replacement safe no longer had a tray on the door like the original
I demanded a door tray to install myself, which they sent me a broken one (box had no damage), that was too large to install fit the door
They agreed to send me a check for $75 as compensation for the new safe being smaller... however, that doesn't help me fit all of my stuff back in it

So there you go... stick with a local US made company that cares about their product and your business.

bsg
08-20-2012, 8:45 PM
i suggest you recontact the company, and go up their food chain with the issue of proper product replacement. document names/dates of people you speak with, and take notes as you work through the hierarchy of the company.

kel-tec-innovations
08-20-2012, 8:53 PM
I read a news article about STACK ON safe flaws opened by 3 year old. The news interviewed Stack on and they didn't care and continue to manufacture those safe. They have many bad rep but they sell them so cheap they don't care. So I'm not surprise they don't care about their customer service

ChrisToad
08-20-2012, 11:08 PM
I keep a thorough log any time I deal with this sort of stuff... But at some point it becomes too much of a hassle. I'm not there yet. Can't wait to call tomorrow.

I other news, the door tray they sent me is 3 inches too wide. The customer service gal must have gone off the external dimensions when she "double checked" that it would fit. *facepalm*

halifax
08-20-2012, 11:13 PM
You said it in your first post...you get what you pay for. Don't expect Fort Knox service on a Stack-On.

jvpark
09-03-2012, 2:53 PM
I have a stack on gun cabinet to store my ammo. I swear you can open it with a screw driver or maybe take a can opener to the sides. I wobbles even when secured to the ground and wall.... I did get it for less than 100 and as of now only keep the 12 gage and 22lr ammo in it. the more expensive ammo is in my gun safe.

bsg
09-03-2012, 3:54 PM
update?

ElDub1950
09-03-2012, 4:08 PM
There seems to be a huge difference between what Stack-On calls a Safe and a Gun Cabinet. I have one of their cabinets and it's just that, a locking cabinet. Not much in the way of real security but keeps curious little ones out. That's all I can expect for $119.

09-03-2012, 4:17 PM
There seems to be a huge difference between what Stack-On calls a Safe and a Gun Cabinet. I have one of their cabinets and it's just that, a locking cabinet. Not much in the way of real security but keeps curious little ones out. That's all I can expect for $119.

I agree, I have the same "Gun/Rifle cabinet" and it works great for what it is.
It is in no way a safe.

I purchased the 14 Gun version and it fits 4 long guns perfectly on one side and ammo next to it stacked (x3 .30 cal cans and x3 .50 cal cans)
I also drilled some holes and installed 3 shelves (1 long shelf along the top, x2 shelves half the size mounted on the side)
Holds all my gear and ammo fine.
When I am more stable and able to afford a real gun safe I will.

I have had mine for almost a year and so far, no damage (other then a few holes i made drilling)

I hope mine lasts awhile!

ChrisToad
09-05-2012, 8:00 PM
update?

I gave them additional grief for double checking the replacement shelf, and it still being the wrong size. [pic below for fun]

The csr lastly offered me either a full refund and they pic up the replacement safe, or a $100 refund.

I took the $100, totaling $175 in refund cash from them.
Also, seeking an agent for my new 'hand modeling' career.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb65/chrisr069/2012-08-20195924.jpg

madstyle1
09-05-2012, 8:38 PM
I have a 10 gun stack on safe hope it last me long... Now I'm worried. I should of paid attention where it was made I had no clue

bsg
09-05-2012, 11:54 PM
I gave them additional grief for double checking the replacement shelf, and it still being the wrong size. [pic below for fun]

The csr lastly offered me either a full refund and they pic up the replacement safe, or a $100 refund.

I took the $100, totaling $175 in refund cash from them.
Also, seeking an agent for my new 'hand modeling' career.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb65/chrisr069/2012-08-20195924.jpg

despite the hassle involved at your end, it seems the deal has worked out for you. great job at asserting yourself in a frustrating situation.

thanks for update.

gwgn02
09-06-2012, 11:54 AM
You could build a more secure container for your guns/ammo with 2x4's and nails.

Quinc
09-06-2012, 1:28 PM
I have a similar looking Stack On, but i think mine is the 12gun model. Can you post a picture of the broken weld?

ChrisToad
09-06-2012, 9:35 PM
Can you post a picture of the broken weld?

I honestly was never able to get a decent photo of it... i tried to crawl as far in the safe as I could to snap pics but the outcome was worthless.

Saym14
09-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I have an old stack on. I use it to store ammo. I keep my guns in real safe.

Florida
03-30-2013, 8:08 PM
Dear gun friend. Thank you for posting the tips. I am looking for some advice on safes. I was told that a jewelry safe is more secure than a gun safe. Do you have any insight on this? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
Fl

JDay
03-31-2013, 4:23 AM
You bought a gun cabinet not a gun safe. Stack-on doesn't make safes.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

VictorFranko
03-31-2013, 4:48 AM

JDay beat me to it.
Big difference between a "gun cabinet" and a "gun safe".

Shasta Frog
03-31-2013, 9:00 AM
I have the 8 gun cabinet from stack- on bought at walmart about 8 years ago. For what it is it works great and I have no complaints. The door was installed upside down at the factory though. lol

delta9
03-31-2013, 9:43 AM
I read a news article about STACK ON safe flaws opened by 3 year old. The news interviewed Stack on and they didn't care and continue to manufacture those safe. They have many bad rep but they sell them so cheap they don't care. So I'm not surprise they don't care about their customer service

Those were lock boxes not true safes that had the problem. My Stack-On safe is much larger (weighing 450lbs) and I'm confident that even a 30 year old person would have a difficult time getting my safe open.

delta9
03-31-2013, 9:45 AM

Stack-on makes all sorts of safes

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/secure-storage

Bobby Ricigliano
03-31-2013, 9:47 AM
Sorry to hear about the OP's troubles. I have a Stack-On locking cabinet and a smallish safe ($300 Black Friday Special) and they both work fine. They are not used to keep valuable stuff, just for overflow but they work as designed.

omnitravis
03-31-2013, 12:35 PM
I got the stack on 8 gun security cabinet, it works great for me. I am moving a lot, didnt want something too large/heavy.

Speedpower
03-31-2013, 1:02 PM
To the OP, that is what you get for being cheap so quit whinnying! :facepalm:
In order for a safe to be called a Gun Safe it will have to be made in the USA which will cost you at least a minimum of $1200 and up!

jamkezhia
03-31-2013, 1:53 PM
Speedpower........ lol

negolien
03-31-2013, 2:09 PM
The stack on "safe" isn't an actual safe and you should have known that when you purchased it. Don't blame stack on because your being cheap. Stack ons are good for keeping children away from firearms and that's about it. Anyone who's actually seen one knows this sooo stop being a cheap skate and spend money on a real safe. Costco has a couple of decent ones for a fairly reasonable price go to the website and check em out.

Here's on for a single long gun and pistols $479

http://www.costco.com/Sentry%c2%aeSafe-HDC11E-Home-Defense-Center-Safe.product.11755536.html

and one a little better for $360

http://www.knobsandhardware.com/safes/paragon-lock-and-safe-7550-supreme-rifle-safe_g1355336.html?af=1613&cse=1613

Bobby Ricigliano
03-31-2013, 4:19 PM
An additional use for a cheap Stack-On safe:

I have one firearm & ammo in a Stack-On in an alternate location within the residence. It is in sort of a secondary or fall-back position. Lot s of people have massive arsenals in their big safe but what if you get cut off from it?

Just my .02

delta9
03-31-2013, 8:04 PM
The stack on "safe" isn't an actual safe and you should have known that when you purchased it. Don't blame stack on because your being cheap. Stack ons are good for keeping children away from firearms and that's about it. Anyone who's actually seen one knows this sooo stop being a cheap skate and spend money on a real safe. Costco has a couple of decent ones for a fairly reasonable price go to the website and check em out.

http://www.costco.com/Sentry%c2%aeSafe-HDC11E-Home-Defense-Center-Safe.product.11755536.html

http://www.knobsandhardware.com/safes/paragon-lock-and-safe-7550-supreme-rifle-safe_g1355336.html?af=1613&cse=1613

HAHAHA! Both of those safes you mention weigh less than 120 pounds and the Paragon only has 19 gauge steel. I could either carry that away by myself or punch though it with a screwdriver. My Stack-on weighs 450 pounds with 14 gauge steel - if you are going to diss something you could at least recommend something more substantial

Steve1968LS2
03-31-2013, 8:14 PM
I have a Stack-On.. but I only use it for ammo storage.. to flimsy for firearms.

Bakersfield_Grizzly
03-31-2013, 9:57 PM
I read in the long term gun storage thread that you should not store guns and ammo together because the offgas from the gun powder can harm the metal in the guns. I think it was in this link http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=681050
or it might have been one that was pointed to from that link.
I have a couple of stack on gun cabinets and they have been really good but they are very lightweight and great for keeping the kids out but definitely not build to withstand a determined effort nor are they fire rated.

They are good for storing ammo in. I added shelves to mine and it has been awesome. A real convenience for $100 or whatever it cost me.

But even amongst reputable safes, there are good and bad. And salesmen sell them.....

drunktank
04-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck OP.

My 10-gun stack-on cabinet wifey bought me years back gets used on a daily basis and no broken parts yet. I figure I can break into any gun safe I've ever seen (given enough time), so I just make my cheap safe inaccessible to most burglars :).

It's seems mine is the only one that doesn't it have bad hinges. I may have gotten lucky.

delta9
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck OP.

My 10-gun stack-on cabinet wifey bought me years back gets used on a daily basis and no broken parts yet. I figure I can break into any gun safe I've ever seen (given enough time), so I just make my cheap safe inaccessible to most burglars :).

It's seems mine is the only one that doesn't it have bad hinges. I may have gotten lucky.

It seems that people are using the term "safe" and "cabinet" interchangeably in this discussion. Just to be clear - a "cabinet" is pretty much just something similar to a school locker. A "safe" is far more substantial with thick steel walls and door used for securing valuable objects against theft or damage

ChrisToad
04-02-2013, 1:07 AM
Wow, just logged in tonight to see that this old thread got resurrected somehow. Good times.

To be clear, the original post is regarding a Stack-On SAFE, not CABINET.

Also, thanks for the overload of douchey comments basically calling me a cheap ***. Look, I visit CalGuns for the positive, educational atmosphere. I didn't grow up under a rock, and I know that you get what you pay for. I was renting at the time of purchase, and needed something inexpensive and effective to protect my guns from the shady neighborhood kids who were breaking into homes. This was all happening while trying to buy my house in a better neighborhood, and had obvious financial commitments elsewhere.

What I was most irked about was that the 'equal replacement' they sent me was 30+% smaller than the original, and lacked similar features. So that's why I posted the 'heads up'. May reconsider next time.
Happy Monday.

Robert S
04-06-2013, 8:46 PM
I just bought a "Stack-on" 14 rifle locking gun case on sale at Big 5 for $179.00. Cabelas sells the same model for $329.00. It was made in the USA, DOJ approved and although it isn't, and doesn't claim to be a fire proof or tamper proof gun safe it is exactly as advertised. Very well constructed and finished especially considering the price.
I wanted something I could easily move around myself and keep any kids from accessing. I think there is a false sense of security that comes with any safe. A cutting torch within a minute or two will open the most expensive steel safe ever made.
Many fairly expensive gun safes (e.g. Winchester) are tack welded, and easily broken in to with a chisel and hammer in less that 15 minutes. Unless you know what to look for this method of cheap construction is difficult to detect.

nbirnbaum2
04-06-2013, 9:13 PM
I keep the mosin collection in a stack on, its a security cabinet. I ran out of space. The good stuff are in real safes... I like my stack on does its purpose well... protect inexpensive firearms

nbirnbaum2
04-06-2013, 9:14 PM
PS walmart best pricing even shipped it was better than turners sale price.. was less than anyone else.

Packy14
04-07-2013, 12:09 AM

I got the stack on 8 gun security cabinet, it works great for me. I am moving a lot, didnt want something too large/heavy.

Just because a lot of you come across as douches....

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/total-defense-safes

Guess stack-on DOES make safes.

9mmrevolver
04-07-2013, 12:14 AM
I've had a 10gun for about 11 years now. All my cheap guns and 22's go in it. It's mainly there just to keep the kids away from the guns. It wouldn't take long to get into it with out a key. Cheap as hell yes. Serves a purpose yes

JDay
04-07-2013, 2:03 AM
Just because a lot of you come across as douches....

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/total-defense-safes

Guess stack-on DOES make safes.

Notice how they conveniently leave out the important details such as wall and door steel thickness? I would not trust a "safe" from a company that doesn't disclose that information.

Jet Setter
04-07-2013, 2:30 AM
In order for a safe to be called a Gun Safe it will have to be made in the USA which will cost you at least a minimum of $1200 and up!

That is the most stupid comment I have read this week.

Dinosaur Jr
04-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Any locked storage is better than none. While I'm saving up for something more substantial, my DOJ-approved Stack-On 8-gun keeps my kids out and keeps me compliant with the law. In the meantime, I don't advertise to my friends, neighbors and passers-by that I'm a gun owner. So far, so good.

As many have noted, after I bring home "big bertha", the Stack-On will function nicely for ammo storage.

JDay
04-08-2013, 1:33 AM
Any locked storage is better than none. While I'm saving up for something more substantial, my DOJ-approved Stack-On 8-gun keeps my kids out and keeps me compliant with the law.

There is no law requiring firearms be locked in your home.

Crest25
09-01-2013, 3:47 PM
I purchased two STACK-ON cabinets in January 2013. I put a pistol in one and locked it. Several months later I wanted to get into the cabinet and could not turn the key more than about 45 degrees. It has to turn 90 degrees to open. Fearing the grip fell forward against the door holding the locking device from opening all the way, I called STACK-ON for advice. I was told drill out the lock and I can order a new lock. Hmm, ok, I'll try it.

Next day - I got my heavy duty drill motor and 1/4" bit and went to work. Ruined that bit. Tried 1/2" bit. That one got through the outer brass portion of the lock but hit case-hardened pin portion of the lock and burned up that bit also.

I attemped to remove the hinge pin and my Craftsman pin punch now has a nice curve to it. No luck.

Next, let's try a cold chisel to the lock. I thought if I can chisel out the bezel and remaining brass parts perhaps I can simply push the lock in and the door would open. That didn't work so I started on the hinge. The box is ruined now anyway and I have to get my firearm out and once the door is open I can replace it. (This is one that is installed in the wall between two studs. As I began on the hinge at the top it gave a bit. I dropped down about 2" and hit hard. BANG. The top corner of the door was able to be pried outward a bit. I'll do the same about 2" from the bottom of the door. BANG. The door opened! The hinge is attached to the cabinet with two pop rivets. I simply popped those rivets in half and Open Sesame!

I called STACK-ON again. Explained what I was told and how I attempted to get inside. Now here's where the story gets interesting. The lady asked me if I knew who I spoke with the previous day. No, I'm sorry I don't. She said fax me over the receipt. Hmm, I'll search and try. Unbelievably, I found my receipt from WalMart. I sent her a copy. Several days later she sent me a brand new cabinet "under warranty". Now I think that is pretty GOOD for their reputation and P.R. It doesn't make the new cabinet any better quality but it does replace the box. Oh, once I opened the door I was wrong. The gun had not fallen against the door so I guess the lock may have been defective. I'm not sure. Now I will simply use the cabinet for important papers and seek a real gun SAFE instead.

Three cheers for STACK-ON customer service.

Steve1968LS2
09-01-2013, 4:08 PM

Where did you extract that pearl of wisdom from? lol

So here's the deal.. cheap safes are cheap.. really cheap safes are really called Security Cabinets..

I have a Stack On that I store ammo in.. it's fine for that. and in a home it's better than nothing for guns, at least for keeping kids away from your firearms.

So not a safe though..

I laught when I see someone spend $5k on guns and then balk at $800 for a decent place to lock them up..

tekrus05
09-01-2013, 4:11 PM
Keep in mind that you get what you spend is true. You spent money on a locker not a safe. A simple crowbar even a large flat head screw driver can get any intruder into the said item. I would even go as far as saying that not all products made in China are not garbage as for example with Apple's premium priced computers. Majority of their internal/exterior components are manufactured in China.

The problem comes down to strict adherence to Quality Control and the personnel responsible for ensuring that they are not putting defective or poor quality products at the marketplace. I bought my Stack-On 8 long gun cabinet/locker/safe 2.5 years ago works perfectly fine for all my guns.

Look at what you're buying, it's not a safe, it's not a vault. It is a cabinet or locker, just because the manufacture of a Kia slaps a label like high end luxury sports car for $17,000 OTD. Does not mean you're getting something comparable to a high power all American Muscle Car or high end European sports car that goes for around $75k +. Do not get tricked or buy into it's name. I'll sell you my relabeled high power hand cannon aka Ruger 22/45 for $300.00. Get the point?

Although, the customer service is poor and they should have did their best to adhere to the customer's request to come out with positive results.

Ryan in SD
09-01-2013, 6:44 PM
WARNING / AVOID - Stack-On Gun Safes - You get what you pay for

About 2 years ago I started a search for a budget friendly gun safe. I didn't have $500+, but needed to secure my guns at home so they weren't just laying around. I ended up getting a '10 Gun' safe from Stack-On for $249 (on sale from $299)

Rather than go on a huge rant, here's why I will not buy another on of these:

These safes are made in China
In less than two years, a weld on one of the hinges broke loose
Customer Service accused me of hanging on the door, or putting too much weight on it (a Glock mind you)
Customer Service 'missed' my email for over a week when I sent in what they requested
They shipped me a 'comparable' model, which I then discovered was 29% smaller than the original
They refused to send me a safe that had similar internal dimensions to the original
The replacement safe no longer had a tray on the door like the original
I demanded a door tray to install myself, which they sent me a broken one (box had no damage), that was too large to install fit the door
They agreed to send me a check for $75 as compensation for the new safe being smaller... however, that doesn't help me fit all of my stuff back in it

So there you go... stick with a local US made company that cares about their product and your business.

Ok, that all said, now that the 10 gun safe can be had for $100. What options do you have?

...Thats what I thought.

You spent more than twice it is not sold for, I would be upset about that too. THAT SAID, WHAT KIND OF QUALITY DID YOU EXPECT???

Thats like getting upset that you bought a kia and lost to a ferrari. No **** it isnt very good.

Owner buy cheapest possible product.
Complains about quality

FML, I have to live with you idiots.

Ryan in SD
09-01-2013, 6:50 PM
That is the most stupid comment I have read this week.

Hahaha, yea that was incredible.

Mr357magnum
09-01-2013, 6:59 PM
Like others have said, lockers and safe ARE NOT the same. Stack On lockers are good for simple organization and perhaps keeping things away from kids..although I'm not sure Id even go that far. They have a purpose and should be used for that purpose. Not for use as a gun safe.

YZINGERR
09-01-2013, 7:12 PM
Bcause it has become a battle over verbiage:

Safe
a strong fireproof cabinet with a complex lock, used for the storage of valuables.
a secure lockable box used for securing valuable objects against theft or damage.
(informal) a condom.

postal
09-01-2013, 8:16 PM
My new nc star scope looks like an acog.

I only paid $80 for it. What a bargain!!!!!

Why doesnt it work as well as a real ACOG?

The lens fell out. it doesnt focus, and the adjustments dont work.

WAH! FIX it!!!!! I expect it to work just as well as a real ACOG, but I'm a "bargain" shopper.

Bobby Ricigliano
09-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I have (2) Stack-On Safes locking containers that I use to store some excess ammo and stuff. They work fine as long as you don't mistake them for an actual safe. All of my artillery is properly secured in heavy bolted down SAFES.

AKSOG
09-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Yes they do. They make cabinets and safes.

paintballergb
09-02-2013, 12:03 PM
With almost anything in the entire world there is varying degrees of quality, but just because you buy something on the cheaper end of the spectrum doesn't mean you should expect it not to work. If I buy none "purell" brand hand sanitizer, I still expect it to work.

POLICESTATE
09-02-2013, 12:10 PM

This right here. They are gun cabinets with locks on them, nothing more. I've had mine for several years now with no problems, it's there to keep my kids out and to comply with state law. I have no illusions about how secure the contents would be in the event of a break-in.

I could probably pry into the door around the hinges and break them fairly easily with a crowbar.

At some point I want an actual safe but that will have to wait until I live somewhere that will better accommodate one.

someoneeasy
09-02-2013, 7:37 PM

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/stack-on-safes

here you go, the safes made by stack on.