PDA

View Full Version : Buy another 9mm or a new caliber?

MusicMatt
08-20-2012, 4:14 PM
Hello,

I am new to the site but have been reading posts for awhile. I really appreciate the insight here.

I recently bought our first handgun - a Sig Sp2022 in 9mm. It has been a great purchase for us and I highly recommend it as a budget buy. The problem is my wife has officially adopted it leaving me with nothing to shoot at the range,

I began searching for a .45 for me(Rugar P345 and SA XD were what I narrowed it down to), but I thought maybe I should get another 9mm to keep ammo simpler?

1. Should I get another 9mm or go with variety? (.40 or .45)
2. Should I stick with DA/SA like my Sig? I do enjoy the XD trigger(sooo smooth).

Any help is appreciated. Please do not recommend Glock. I respect them as a firearm, but the ergonomics don't work for me.

Thanks

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2012, 4:21 PM
If you don't already have anything in .22lr, you need to get a few. Other than that, you should be looking at what you want and what fits you and your needs best before worrying about what round it shoots.

Bumslie
08-20-2012, 4:23 PM
I have a W German 226 9mm you can buy:p

In all seriousness though. I'm a Sig fanboy. I have 3 and want more. I have 220 9mm 226 9mm and 226 40/.357. I have more pistols and different calibers as well.

I'd suggest if you don't already, to buy a .22 pistol. It's great for training, they are fun to shoot, and cheap to shoot.

I'll spend 2-3 hours at the range with my brick of .22lr while the buy next to me spends 15 minutes with his .45 ACP.

You get alot of bang for your bucks with a .22 pistol. Everyone should have one.

I recommend a Browning Buckmark URX or a Ruger MkIII (MkII if you can find it)

zman
08-20-2012, 4:25 PM
Budget-wise, I recommend sticking to 9mm. Besides the XD9, look into the Ruger SR9 and the S&W M&P9.

Squidward
08-20-2012, 4:28 PM
I like the simplicity and economy of having one handgun caliber. Mine is 9mm. There are many decent manufacturers but there is something to be said for having multiples of the same platform in my opinion.

Some 9mm (and other) handguns can also be equipped with a .22lr conversion which makes practice very inexpensive.

Full disclosure: I'm a Glock guy so my opinion is probably suspect anyway..:D

CK_32
08-20-2012, 4:32 PM
Depends in gun

Wheel gun 9,45,38 or 357 depending on era/style/use

Semi 9,40,45,10 depending on use/size

Anything else radical what ever the use I go on that. Being HD/competition/carry/multipurpose..

Don't pick your gun on caliber pick your caliber from the gun.

TMcGuff
08-20-2012, 4:34 PM
keep sticking with 9mm S&W m&p. sadly even tho you dont want to hear it... GLOCK

JackRydden224
08-20-2012, 4:38 PM
You can shoot the caliber that you are most comfortable with. If you feel like 9mm is your thing then get more 9mm guns. You don't need to buy in the whole a real man shoots .45 garbage. With that said, I recommend a Browning Hi-Power or a 1911 in 9mm for you.

Shooting is a hobby for many of us. There is no "need' to shoot something, only a "want" :D

CK_32
08-20-2012, 4:43 PM
And another thing to add is go to your range.. Get a membership.. Try them ALL yes even glocks.. When I first started I was in love with the glocks.. Hated the 92/sig line.. My buddy forced me to rent one cause that's what he shot in the marine core so we got it and even the the first time I shot it I dispised it (like you do glock) this time it felt pretty nice.. I was eh on wheel guns too didn't see a point and guess what rented one of those too and I'm looking at picking one up tomorrow...

Give everything a chance.. Being closed minded only hurts/effects your self and when you get out of that box even tho it might have sucked the first time sometimes it will surprise you some things you missed or didn't notice the first time around..

Something I've learned being in the gun world I've come to live by and ever since I started going by this I've found A LOT of interesting things and grown a lot. "Don't knock it till you've tried it" "Don't like it do it again to be sure"

The Virus
08-20-2012, 4:46 PM
9 all the time

jimster716
08-20-2012, 5:08 PM
Something like this will elicit a multitude of varying opinions. I have 9, 40, 45 and a .22 in DROS. The only two calibers that I have that I believe are interchangeable are the 9 and 40. The .45 and .22 feel so different that to each other and my 9/40 guns that I don't think there is any practice value by going with the cheapest ammo...shoot my 1911 for 50rds and tell me if you'll have the same groupings in 9mm like the ones that you shot immediately before the .45. Nope.

My point...it's all irrelevant. Evaluate your situation as if you don't already have the SP2022 in the house. You may want another SP2022 that's just for you. You may rent other guns and calibers and find that you really like something else.

Just my $0.02.

Damiiaaannn
08-20-2012, 5:11 PM
Get a .45 :43: ;)

black_pacer_56
08-20-2012, 5:20 PM
If you get a .45 ACP, I would by an 1911 and fall in love with the trigger!

masayako
08-20-2012, 5:24 PM
Here's my take after many 'deep thoughts":

1. If you have enough money just to buy ONE MORE handgun, get the same caliber.
2. If you have enough money to buy MORE THAN ONE handgusn, get different calibers.

I am serious. That's my current thinking.

1000stars
08-20-2012, 5:28 PM
Pretend its your first gun...go to the range rent the guns that appeal to you regardless of caliber, shoot them and go from there.

Synergy
08-20-2012, 5:34 PM
Here's my take after many 'deep thoughts":

1. If you have enough money just to buy ONE MORE handgun, get the same caliber.
2. If you have enough money to buy MORE THAN ONE handgusn, get different calibers.

I am serious. That's my current thinking.

Every man needs a 45 ACP. :p Considering the price of ammo, if you have a hard time feeding 1 - 9mm look at the price of feeding 2 and then go compare the price of .45 ACP. I keep my safe limited to 9 and 45, but I also reload.

erik_26
08-20-2012, 5:47 PM
I like variety.

I would suggest expanding.

Personally, if I had millions upon millions, I would buy one of every make, model & color.

Socal858
08-20-2012, 5:50 PM
buy another 9mm. standardizing ammo between the two guns will make things easier if there's an ammo shortage or an emergency of some sort.

Oldnoob
08-20-2012, 5:55 PM
Get a pistol in 40S&W. Than get a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm. This way you can experience both 9mm and 40S&W in same platform.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 5:55 PM
I'd say stick with another 9. Buy bulk ammo and share the fun. Interchangeable ammo would be best. Hell get another 2022!!! ( or a CZ if you ask me!;))

MusicMatt
08-20-2012, 5:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the input so far.

To clear up a few of the comments, I have shot several 9mm and like my Sig, XD, and a SR9 the best. I've shot the Glock 19/17 and it just didn't work for me. M and P doesn't fit my hand well even though I know they have different grips. I haven't shot the FNP 9 but almost bought it over the Sig because I liked everything about it.

In .45, I have shot a 1911 - great shooters, but my wife and I are relatively new and I think they might be a little to complicated for her(no decocker). I have also shot an XD45 Service and Rugar P345.

We really enjoy going to the range. So these are mainly home defense and range guns.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 5:57 PM
I still say check out a CZ when you can. *kicks rocks*

ElDub1950
08-20-2012, 6:11 PM
For many, including me, the Ammo Budget is a key factor in many decisions. Stocking up on sufficient quantities of multiple calibers is expensive. If your budget can handle it, great, go for variety. Start making the trips to ranges that rent guns. Call them ahead of time to make sure which brands/models they have for rent and shoot as many as you want until you find something you really like. Rental ranges won't have every possible model, but will have a variety. Spending a few weekends driving to a few ranges to have fun and shoot a few different guns is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying something based on some other yahoo's preference and finding you don't like it.

DArBad
08-20-2012, 6:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the input so far.

To clear up a few of the comments, I have shot several 9mm and like my Sig, XD, and a SR9 the best........

In .45, I have shot a 1911 - great shooters, but my wife and I are relatively new and I think they might be a little to complicated for her(no decocker). I have also shot an XD45 Service and Rugar P345.

We really enjoy going to the range......

The 1911s are not complicated, in fact, it is one of the most simple gun ever invented. Its just a matter of getting used to the platform.

That is true of all guns. The Ruger P345 is a very good platform, reliable, and relatively cheap to buy, I highy recommend it.

Good luck.

Lost-trails
08-20-2012, 6:48 PM
I had the same issues. My wife took over my Sig p226 9mm. This week she finally got her own Sig P226 stainless. I wanted to stay with 9mm because it cheaper to shoot at the range. Also because with the same gun in the same caliber we can share mags and ammo if there is an emergency issues.

INFAMOUS762X39
08-20-2012, 7:30 PM
We really enjoy going to the range. So these are mainly home defense and range guns.

.22LR or 9mm = More Range Time.

.45ACP = Less Range Time, .45 is relatively expensive If you are on a budget.

Walmart Price:
Winchester White Box 9mm = 24$ for 100 Rds
Winchester White Box .45 = 40$ for 100 Rds.

I recently bought Hornady Critical Defense rounds in 9mm and .45ACP. I wouldn't hesitate to use either for home defense, they are nasty Rounds! Expensive but worth every penny.

Legasat
08-20-2012, 7:59 PM
If you have plenty of money for ammo, expand.

If not, buy another 9mm and expand later.

Joe Register
08-20-2012, 8:44 PM
Plinking ... .22
Bigger bullet plinking... 9mm
Class you pay for ... 45acp
7 year itch ... 38
Masochism, hearing loss .44 mag (be sure to shoot inside for full effect)
Back to basics fun plinking - sell 44 mag and buy three .22s

t0kie
08-20-2012, 8:49 PM
As others have said, if money is not an issue, try .45ACP, & feel the diff. :)

Sac-AR15
08-20-2012, 8:53 PM
Every man needs a 45 ACP. :p Considering the price of ammo, if you have a hard time feeding 1 - 9mm look at the price of feeding 2 and then go compare the price of .45 ACP. I keep my safe limited to 9 and 45, but I also reload.

This^^. I only shoot 9mm and 45ACP. I also reload to cut down on cost.

Oceanbob
08-20-2012, 9:04 PM
If you don't already have anything in .22lr, you need to get a few. Other than that, you should be looking at what you want and what fits you and your needs best before worrying about what round it shoots.

This^^^^^^

A good .22 pistol would be my next choice. LOTS OF FUN for cheap money.

Also, the wife will like it and you can sneak out with the Sig more often :D

Get a good .22 and you will have it for the rest of your life. A base gun.

MusicMatt
08-20-2012, 9:53 PM
Thanks for all the input so far. It looks like I might pick up another 9mm. I still have plenty of time to dive into the .45 market.

No one has given me their thoughts on staying with DA/SA or opening up to Striker fired. I enjoy both, buy I'm wondering about sticking to one action and is it a good idea to have to different action pistols?

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 9:58 PM
Go find a CZ 75b for $500 and call it a day, it's accurate as hell and has a da/ SA that's smoooooth and gets better with time and easily customizable. Good for shooting matches too!!!

Fadedline
08-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Get another 9mm. Then a 10mm:43:

Legasat
08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
No one has given me their thoughts on staying with DA/SA or opening up to Striker fired. I enjoy both, buy I'm wondering about sticking to one action and is it a good idea to have to different action pistols?

It's a personal decision. I won't own a DA pistol. Single action or striker for me.

You must decide for yourself :D

Fishslayer
08-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I recently bought our first handgun - a Sig Sp2022 in 9mm. It has been a great purchase for us and I highly recommend it as a budget buy. The problem is my wife has officially adopted it leaving me with nothing to shoot at the range,

.45ACP is always good. Or...

How about a .22? Doesn't get much cheaper to shoot. I bought a 22/45 for the wife. She didn't much care for it so it is mine now. She fondled a SIG Mosquito & fell in love. Turned out perfect. :D

Or... if you really like the 2022 you can do what I did after buying one for the wife & deciding I liked it too. ;)

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/THE_Fishslayer/OSR/SIG2022s.jpg

LAKings22
08-20-2012, 11:37 PM
If your worried about cost of ammo then I would say stick with another 9mm and the sig 2022 is a nice gun. If you decide to go with a 45 and not comfortable with a 1911 check out the HK USP 45

MikeR
08-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Getting another 2022 and a .22 (mkiii would be my choice) sounds like a good plan to me.

Inexpensive mags and ammo sounds really good.

JxPakman
08-21-2012, 12:29 AM
The sr9 is a great gun. Shot thousands out of mine. Runs great. If u want to get a 9mm maybe look into the sr9c. The compact version. I heard the trigger is slightly better than the 9mm version. I would definately get a 22lr too. Why not right? Cheap ammo. Shoot for days and fun as hell. I know i wouldnt wanna get filled up with .22 rounds. Would you? Thats why ikeep the sr22 loaded with cci stingers. As you can see im a little biased towards ruger haha. Im also interested in the p345 haha. I must say ruger makes good reliable AFFORDABLE guns.

Joe Register
08-21-2012, 9:19 AM
Get a .40 S&W. Five days into the 9.1 earthquake/tsunami/zombie uprising you can still buy ammo for it at Walmart when the rest of the shelves have been stripped bare.