PDA

View Full Version : CZ / H&K for my wife, which ones would you recommend?

masayako
08-20-2012, 3:06 PM
Hi there,
I am looking for a CZ / H&K for my wife, which ones would you recommend?
CA-75 P-01? H&K P30?

She has small hands and never play with anyone larger than .22 caliber. So, low recoil is preferred.

Shapes And Colors
08-20-2012, 3:20 PM
Shouldn't she choose it?

tbc
08-20-2012, 3:33 PM
If she prefers low recoil, I would recommend full size all metal pistols like CZ SP-01, Sig P226...

Paperchasin
08-20-2012, 3:34 PM
Shouldn't she choose it?

+1...

BTW, I am not sure about the CZ, but I do know that the P30 is Off-Roster (unless you are LEO, or buying via SSE, or not even in CA).

hkdad
08-20-2012, 3:35 PM
Both are awesome guns! Rent both at the range and let her try it out. She is the one who can tell which one she prefers.

Mabuhay!

tbc
08-20-2012, 3:40 PM
If she prefers low recoil, I would recommend full size all metal pistols like CZ SP-01, Sig P226...

EDIT: Of course, she should try them at the range first before purchase one.

masayako
08-20-2012, 3:49 PM
Shouldn't she choose it?

She is quite new to this, this is why she rely on me to pick her a good one. Going to the range with her is definitely in my to-do list.

MIAMIbaseballer
08-20-2012, 3:55 PM
She is quite new to this, this is why she rely on me to pick her a good one. Going to the range with her is definitely in my to-do list.

so let her pick which one feels the best in her hands, shoot away, and go from there

Arkangel
08-20-2012, 4:02 PM
Like others have said, let her pick. I love my HK's and my CZ so you can't go wrong either way.

Leesan82
08-20-2012, 4:04 PM
The real choice between the two is trigger. (and cost of course)

P30 comes in DA/SA, DA/SA with safty, LEM, LEM with safty.
P01 is great if she prefers DA/SA and it cost less.

Edit: Give P2000 a look if considering a HK that is on roster.

TripleThreat
08-20-2012, 4:11 PM
I vote for either the CZ P-01 or CZ SP-01 depends on what size she wants to shoot.

CZ's weapons are far and above the best value in handguns today.

blackfalcon
08-20-2012, 4:39 PM
Is price an issue? HK are good guns, but expensive.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 5:02 PM
CZ p01!!!!!! It's awesome and accurate

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 5:03 PM
Just because I can.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/euphoria526/92ca0fca.jpg

Treb5
08-20-2012, 5:27 PM
I have HK's and a CZP01. I shoot the HK's a lot more than the CZ. I wanta like that CZ but it is the only gun I have ever owned with trigger sting.

I think I need to replace that heavily curved trigger. Try a CZ before you buy one just because of the trigger sting. Lot of folks experience it while others don't.

Slim///
08-20-2012, 5:38 PM
My girl friend also has small hands and she couldn't reach the slide release lever on my old CZ po1.

masayako
08-20-2012, 6:24 PM
I have HK's and a CZP01. I shoot the HK's a lot more than the CZ. I wanta like that CZ but it is the only gun I have ever owned with trigger sting.

I think I need to replace that heavily curved trigger. Try a CZ before you buy one just because of the trigger sting. Lot of folks experience it while others don't.

So many HK to choose from, which one you recommend?

masayako
08-20-2012, 6:25 PM
The real choice between the two is trigger. (and cost of course)

P30 comes in DA/SA, DA/SA with safty, LEM, LEM with safty.
P01 is great if she prefers DA/SA and it cost less.

Edit: Give P2000 a look if considering a HK that is on roster.

I'm in cali, so i definitely need something on roster here. Looks like P30 is out the question, right?

Arkangel
08-20-2012, 6:31 PM
I'm in cali, so i definitely need something on roster here. Looks like P30 is out the question, right?

You could SSE one. If you want an on roster model, look at the P2000 or USP compact line.

goofcat
08-20-2012, 6:40 PM
Also check out the sig226. My wife who has tiny hands shoots hers like a boss!

nfong2684
08-20-2012, 6:42 PM
Like many others have said the P2000 is a close substitute for the P30 that is on the roster. They are fairly easy to find at your LGS, but they are pricey like most H&K's around $900. May have some luck on the used market, but those are pretty tough to come by. You will find a lot more USPc's available on the used market, and are pretty fairly priced for a premium (subjective of course) gun like an H&K.

tbc
08-20-2012, 7:10 PM
HK fanboy here but I don't think HKs are for her. Although HKs are excellent sidearms, you have to know a few things.

1) The compact HKs (USPc, P2000, P2000SK, P30) are snappy and may not be well suited for your wife. Well unless she can manage it.

2) HK full size has less felt recoil but the grip of an HK full size (like the USP) maybe too big for her hand. Unless you can SSE a P30L, a full size pistol, with adjustable side and back straps.

In general, compact size pistols are not for folks with small hands and that are sensitive to recoil.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 7:45 PM
CZ's are just as good as hk's IMO.
It's all personal preference. I still prefer my 75bSA. though. Tack driver.

Socalmedix
08-20-2012, 9:32 PM
I'm gonna say for what you described a HK P30 would be awesome... I am a big CZ guy but with small hands she will be battling herself on operating the pistol. The HK on the other hand has changeable backstraps as well as a smooth trigger and is geared for us with smaller womanly hands

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 9:52 PM
I will say I have huge hands and I still love my
P01

StefanJanowski
08-20-2012, 9:53 PM
I would totally trade a CZ or a HK for my wife.

Euphoria526
08-20-2012, 10:01 PM
And most people would. I wouldn't.

TripleThreat
08-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Me neither I wouldn't trade my Wife for all the tea in China. I'd love to start a "Show us your Wife" thread, but I know better.

Treb5
08-21-2012, 5:37 AM
So many HK to choose from, which one you recommend?

I personally like the P2000 and P2000sk in 9mm. I suggest you take her to a range where you can rent these guns and try them.

-hanko
08-21-2012, 9:54 AM
Shouldn't she choose it?

EDIT: Of course, she should try them at the range first before purchase one.

so let her pick which one feels the best in her hands, shoot away, and go from there

Like others have said, let her pick. I love my HK's and my CZ so you can't go wrong either way.

I personally like the P2000 and P2000sk in 9mm. I suggest you take her to a range where you can rent these guns and try them.

The BEST thing both of you can do is to find a trainer...

Selecting a gun for an SO is a crapshoot, and typically the gun you guess will be the best may not be the easiest for her to shoot accurately...

She needs to be the one to choose.;)

-hanko

Bug Splat
08-21-2012, 11:36 AM
CZ fan boy here but I think any compact CZ would be too big. I have large-ish hands and the P-01 fits me just right. I think a womans hands might be too small but I don't know your wife. Best have her try. HK's seem overpriced so I have never bought one. Shot a few, was not impressed.

Also look into a Kahr K9 or C9. Great ergo's for small hands. Feels like full size pistol for people with small hands. Also don't discount a small revolver in 38spl. They are great for inexperienced shooter. Just point and shoot.

zfields
08-21-2012, 11:49 AM
How bout a 75SA? Trigger is a shorter reach, very light recoil.

Patermagnus
08-21-2012, 12:35 PM
I vote for either the CZ P-01 or CZ SP-01 depends on what size she wants to shoot.

CZ's weapons are far and above the best value in handguns today.

What he said.

And, of course, she should figure out what works best for her.

I've got a P-01 and an SP-01, and my girl definitely prefers the SP-01. I have large hands, my fiancee definitely has small hands, and the SP-01 works well for both of us. She was pretty insistent on NOT buying the same pistol, so we rented just about everything before she fired my SP-01. After finishing one magazine in the SP-01, she stopped me to tell me that MY gun was now, in fact, hers.

We've sorted it out, and now we each have one of our own.

Icypu
08-21-2012, 1:23 PM
I'd recommend a beretta cougar or PX4 Storm. The rotating barrel makes the recoil softer in a way. Among those I would recommend a USP 9c compact since it is easier to shoot and soft recoiling. I had a USP40 and it was easy to shoot but it did bounce a little.

TATER313
08-21-2012, 1:44 PM
get the cz75b very nice gun.

lawaia
08-21-2012, 1:46 PM
Something to consider is the DA trigger pull on DA/SA guns. I'm not familiar with the CZ pistols, but my HK P2000 has a pretty hefty DA pull that may not be great for a woman shooter. Just a thought.

Euphoria526
08-21-2012, 2:49 PM
CZ has a dense da but the SA is beautifully smooth with a tiny reset.

nitroxdiver
08-21-2012, 4:50 PM
Both great guns. The p30 will be hard to try before you buy as it has to be sse'd into the republik. P2000 is a great gun as is the USPc. Personally, I feel the USPc has less muzzle flip than the full size model. Just my own personal perception from firing both in 9mm. Both are easy to shoot, but the compact model is easier for me. Also, the usp series have a decocker/manual safety if purchased as a variant 1. Kind of a high bore axis though on the HK's, but she may not mind, you never know till ya try them.

Good on you for getting her into shooting. Whatever you get, let her get a lot of practice Best off luck take care.

masayako
08-21-2012, 5:08 PM
Also check out the sig226. My wife who has tiny hands shoots hers like a boss!

I got a P226 already. Love this pistol like a son.

Looking for more options out there at the same time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/masayako/p226holster.jpg

masayako
08-21-2012, 5:09 PM
I'd recommend a beretta cougar or PX4 Storm. The rotating barrel makes the recoil softer in a way. Among those I would recommend a USP 9c compact since it is easier to shoot and soft recoiling. I had a USP40 and it was easy to shoot but it did bounce a little.

Thanks. Will check out the USP 9c. What's considered a good price for a USP 9c?

masayako
08-21-2012, 5:12 PM
How bout a 75SA? Trigger is a shorter reach, very light recoil.

Looks very good. I doubt a LGS will carry one of this. Will go to a LGS this Thursday and check if they have any in stock to try.

masayako
08-21-2012, 5:15 PM
Patermagnus,

What makes your fiancee choose the SP-01, is the less recoil or overall ergonomics?

What he said.

And, of course, she should figure out what works best for her.

I've got a P-01 and an SP-01, and my girl definitely prefers the SP-01. I have large hands, my fiancee definitely has small hands, and the SP-01 works well for both of us. She was pretty insistent on NOT buying the same pistol, so we rented just about everything before she fired my SP-01. After finishing one magazine in the SP-01, she stopped me to tell me that MY gun was now, in fact, hers.

We've sorted it out, and now we each have one of our own.

masayako
08-21-2012, 5:22 PM
Both great guns. The p30 will be hard to try before you buy as it has to be sse'd into the republik. P2000 is a great gun as is the USPc. Personally, I feel the USPc has less muzzle flip than the full size model. Just my own personal perception from firing both in 9mm. Both are easy to shoot, but the compact model is easier for me. Also, the usp series have a decocker/manual safety if purchased as a variant 1. Kind of a high bore axis though on the HK's, but she may not mind, you never know till ya try them.

Good on you for getting her into shooting. Whatever you get, let her get a lot of practice Best off luck take care.

Thanks nitroxdiver.

So far, my recommended list to her includes (if any of them available at LGS):
1. H&K USP, P30, P2000
2. CZ 75b, 75SA
3. CZ P-01, SP-01
4. Beretta 92fs

No Glock. I perfer don't like Glock. Just a personal opinion. I'm sure it's lovely to others.

TripleThreat
08-21-2012, 5:41 PM
Berreta's are a beast of a gun size wise, doubt any normal sized female would want to shoot something that big. Thing might as well be a baby eagle, it's that big. How do I know, just bought one!

Seiran
08-21-2012, 7:33 PM
Thanks nitroxdiver.

So far, my recommended list to her includes (if any of them available at LGS):
1. H&K USP, P30, P2000
2. CZ 75b, 75SA
3. CZ P-01, SP-01
4. Beretta 92fs

No Glock. I perfer don't like Glock. Just a personal opinion. I'm sure it's lovely to others.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but if this is her pistol, shouldn't she be the one determining if a Glock is a pistol she would like or not? You said it yourself, you don't prefer it, but you're sure it's lovely to others. Perhaps your wife would be one of those others.

-hanko
08-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Not to be a jerk or anything, but if this is her pistol, shouldn't she be the one determining if a Glock is a pistol she would like or not? You said it yourself, you don't prefer it, but you're sure it's lovely to others. Perhaps your wife would be one of those others.
:sleeping:

I made that point, apparently unsuccessfully, early in the thread.

Kind of like picking a pair of shoes for your SO based on what you think might work, let alone attempting to get some based on a web thread :confused::rolleyes:

I still advise guys to find a trainer that wife can work with, let the wife select her own gun, and GTFO / STFU during the process.;)

The obvious other option is to get her a gun you think is best, based on a web thread, and hope for the best.

Odds are, the lady may indeed prefer the Glock.

-hanko

whipkiller
08-22-2012, 1:03 PM
Patermagnus,

What makes your fiancee choose the SP-01, is the less recoil or overall ergonomics?

Or perhaps the choir of angels singing each time you pull the trigger?:D

I'd say it's probably both. I have smallish hands and the ergo's of my SP-01 just feel very natural and well, perfect. There, I said it.

The way it soaks up recoil is just a bonus.

The only thing I would think might be a problem for some women is that there's not a lot of slide to grasp when racking it, because of the slide-inside-frame design.

My SP-01 is probably my favorite (1911 right there) because of how easy it is to shoot well.

zfields
08-22-2012, 1:06 PM
, let the wife select her own gun anything she is looking at buying, and GTFO / STFU during the process.;)

-hanko

FIFY

nitroxdiver
08-22-2012, 2:02 PM
Another oft overlooked, yet simply outstanding 9mm pistol is the Walther P99. Very soft shooter, with a very interesting decocker. Double action first shot from decock is a lot easier than on many other pistols too. Plus it has different back straps. Fabulous gun, just hard to find sometimes but well worth the trouble.

nrvnqsrxk
08-22-2012, 2:26 PM
Don't ask us. Get her the gun that will have her begging you to take her to go shoot. The one she can shoot better with is the one you should get her.

Shouldn't be hard to take her to a range that has both and have her try it out.

Mercureality
08-23-2012, 1:55 AM
Hi there,
I am looking for a CZ / H&K for my wife, which ones would you recommend?
CA-75 P-01? H&K P30?

She has small hands and never play with anyone larger than .22 caliber. So, low recoil is preferred.

The HK P30 is probably the finest 9mm currently available. Get the v2 LEM, and then convert it to light or version 4 LEM. All you need is a 3/32 roll pin punch to do the job. It's not all that difficult as long as you're not messing with the trigger return spring. The HK P30 can be customized to fit small hands beautifully. I've never handled a more comfortable firearm.

The CZ is fine for competition or as a range toy, btw. It's easy to shoot well, and if it's a shadow, the trigger isn't even all that bad. For general purpose carry, duty, or defending my life, though? HK all the way.

redcliff
08-23-2012, 8:04 AM
Small hands, low recoil. Sounds like a 9mm 1911 with slim grips and short trigger is in order :)

Hey someone had to say 1911 right? :)

Arkangel
08-23-2012, 8:20 AM
I'm in cali

What part? I'm in San Diego and you are welcome to shoot my P2000 and SP-01.

lawaia
08-23-2012, 9:02 AM
:sleeping:

I made that point, apparently unsuccessfully, early in the thread.

Kind of like picking a pair of shoes for your SO based on what you think might work, let alone attempting to get some based on a web thread :confused::rolleyes:

I still advise guys to find a trainer that wife can work with, let the wife select her own gun, and GTFO / STFU during the process.;)

The obvious other option is to get her a gun you think is best, based on a web thread, and hope for the best.

Odds are, the lady may indeed prefer the Glock.

-hanko

Best advice is this thread.

And heed the warning: Do NOT teach her yourself. Hire an instructor. Not because you don't know enough, but because she will resent you telling her what she is doing wrong. Take it from someone that has learned that lesson the hard way.:)

HPGunner
08-23-2012, 9:28 AM
I've owed a USP45 and the grip is like a 2x4 stud. I thought the grip was a bit large in my hands. Not sure if the 9mm has a smaller grip. I think the CZ has better ergos. I have a SP-01 and had a P01 and I liked both of their grips better than the HK.

Have her try them both out.

J.D.Allen
08-23-2012, 9:56 AM
CZ's are just as good as hk's IMO.
It's all personal preference. I still prefer my 75bSA. though. Tack driver.

Yup. IMHO the 75BSA is the perfect combo. Great trigger, good mag capacity, low recoil, dead nutz accurate, reliable as hell, wonderful ergos, great price. Amazing gun right out of the box, and the trigger gets even better after about 500 rounds or so. Next to the 1911 it has the best out of the box trigger I have ever felt.

As far as the small hands are concerned, the shorter trigger reach on the SA is good, I have large hands and the DA/SA model trigger reach was even too long for me in DA mode. The shape and curve of the grip and the low recoil due to the weight and low bore axis should be ideal for small handed shooters. And for the slide release I use my support hand anyway because I use a thumbs forward grip.

Leesan82
08-23-2012, 9:56 AM
P30/P2000 have excellent egro for smaller shooters. You really can't compare those to a full size USP .45 (which no one recommanded in this thread). USP Compact have much smaller grip than a fullsize but same aggrasive texture.

I agree with letting her try first and decide for herself which is better for her needs.

DEF23
08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
An HK53 pistol.......LOL !!! Just joking, sir.

Yes, the HK USP9c is one heck of a small pistol and based upon your listed available choice is probably your best bet.

I'd look into getting her USP9 with a "Variant 1" trigger/safety system on it.

CK_32
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Glock for being simplistic and simple to clean and break down.

I'll get into my flame suit now

-hanko
08-23-2012, 1:30 PM
Best advice is this thread.

And heed the warning: Do NOT teach her yourself. Hire an instructor. Not because you don't know enough, but because she will resent you telling her what she is doing wrong. Take it from someone that has learned that lesson the hard way.:)
:D
OT, but I'd suggest avoiding teaching each other new software, not to mention installing wallpaper together.:43:

-hanko

flip7
08-23-2012, 1:47 PM
The P30 with the small side and back panels fits my wife with small hands.
She also likes my P2000 with the small panels on it.
With these HK's the way to go is the LEM trigger (means just a trigger no safety),
that works like a Glock - so it is simple for her.
As a bonus, for $20-30 you can swap springs and turn the factory LEM into
a 'light' LEM trigger which is very nice. It is still a safe long pull , but with a
bit of practice it is great.
You can even swap (or have the factory swap (send back to HK in Georgia))
the DA/SA trigger for the LEM for about $120 if you can't find the LEM setup on a gun.
The SSE is easy to work out - do a search for it on CALGUNS and you will find the
suggested vendors to use.

The P30 is a bit bigger and longer barrel (but only a 1/4"-ish).
The P2000 is smaller,but not so small that you can't hold it well and have fun shooting it.
HK's are expensive, but shoot where aim and last.
You do get what you pay for.