PDA

View Full Version : Am I using my techsights (aperture/peep) wrong?

Lead Waster
08-20-2012, 2:24 PM
Hi guys, I finally got to shoot my Marlin 795 with techsights yesterday!

Woo! But I noticed the following (at 25 yards)

1) I had to push the rear sight all the way to the left to get on target. So much so that if you drew a line from sight to sight, it is probably not along the bore!

2) The tech sight rear kept moving back on me, I'm going to have to "glue" it down to the rail. Even after tightening the nut all the way (without stripping the thread!) that squeezes the rail. I think some blue loctite under the sight will help with this.

I shoot left handed and I'm NOT an expert rifle shooter at all (I signed up for Appleseed in October, so that should help)

It could be that I'm not shooting properly or sighting incorrectly. I kept shooting to the right of the target and I even switched hands/eyes to shoot right sided for 10 rounds and it still happened.

When I look through the peep sight, I just eyeball (ha ha!) the front sight onto the target and squeeze the trigger. I don't think I'm shifting the sight left or right within the "peep". Is this correct? I thought concentrating on the front sight thorugh a peep basically automatically centered the sight.

How SHOULD I use a peep sight?

Is it normal that I'd have to crank the sight all the way over to one side to get on target, or is it my bad shooting? I did NOT have anyone else try the rifle, though I should have.

I was mostly just trying to dial in the sight and just start breaking in the rifle with some rounds to make sure that it was reliable for the Oct Appleseed.

Thanks for any tips!

DartFrog
08-20-2012, 7:10 PM
When Remington took over Marlin, QC for the 795’s suffered. As a result, (some/few/many) rifles left the factory with canted sight rails, or barrels, front sights that were off center. Rimfire central http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=217 has several forum posts on this topic and even posts about the tech sights running out of adjustment because of the canted rails. There are also many posts about sights and scopes walking off the rails. Some of the fixes others have done include adding shims or cutting deeper grooves in the rails. Others suggest just adding a scope with an UTG scope base http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Pro.../dp/B002TUSJV6 as a better fix, as the scope has more adjustment room that the tech sights do. Hope that helps

easy
08-20-2012, 8:37 PM
Mine is also adjusted way to one side. The front sight is the one in the middle, the sides are guards to prevent damage to the actual sight.

Used the 'pumpkin on a post' method with the tip of the front sight centered inside the rear peep hole, top/bottom/left/right.

Lead Waster
08-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks. That sucks if it's a canted sight!I'll read those threads.

I was wondering if I was holding the rifle tilted as well. I'll try indoors with some bean bags next time.

I can get it mostly on center (left-right) but it looks really wacky to have the peep sight all the way to the left!

I'll check out "pumpkin on post" method, thanks!

GJC
08-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Mine are also left on my tech sights on my 795.

Izzy43
08-21-2012, 1:31 PM
Thanks. That sucks if it's a canted sight!I'll read those threads.

I was wondering if I was holding the rifle tilted as well. I'll try indoors with some bean bags next time.

I can get it mostly on center (left-right) but it looks really wacky to have the peep sight all the way to the left!

I'll check out "pumpkin on post" method, thanks!

"Pumpkin on Post" is also called "Six O'clock Hold". Before you get too worried about the tech sights I suggest that you get the rifle on a bench with some sort of rest to stablize the rifle and shoot it. If you are shooting off-hand (the toughest kind of shooting for accuracy) you may be pulling/pushing the rifle with your shooting method. Try to take the shooter (you) out of the equation and see how the rifle/sights work on a bench. Also you might want to ask someone else to shoot it to see if there's a difference.

If you find that the rail on the receiver is not lined up with the bore and the rifle is under warranty I suggest calling Marlin for a repair.

BLR81
08-22-2012, 9:11 AM
Hi guys, I finally got to shoot my Marlin 795 with techsights yesterday!

Woo! But I noticed the following (at 25 yards)

1) I had to push the rear sight all the way to the left to get on target. So much so that if you drew a line from sight to sight, it is probably not along the bore!

2) The tech sight rear kept moving back on me, I'm going to have to "glue" it down to the rail. Even after tightening the nut all the way (without stripping the thread!) that squeezes the rail. I think some blue loctite under the sight will help with this.

I shoot left handed and I'm NOT an expert rifle shooter at all (I signed up for Appleseed in October, so that should help)

It could be that I'm not shooting properly or sighting incorrectly. I kept shooting to the right of the target and I even switched hands/eyes to shoot right sided for 10 rounds and it still happened.

When I look through the peep sight, I just eyeball (ha ha!) the front sight onto the target and squeeze the trigger. I don't think I'm shifting the sight left or right within the "peep". Is this correct? I thought concentrating on the front sight thorugh a peep basically automatically centered the sight.

How SHOULD I use a peep sight?

Is it normal that I'd have to crank the sight all the way over to one side to get on target, or is it my bad shooting? I did NOT have anyone else try the rifle, though I should have.

I was mostly just trying to dial in the sight and just start breaking in the rifle with some rounds to make sure that it was reliable for the Oct Appleseed.

Thanks for any tips!

I think the suggestion to set the rifle on a rest is a good starting place. Get it so from directly in back of the middle of the stock, the sight line is on target. Then pull the trigger without mounting the rifle to your shoulder, being careful to move the trigger straight back as to not pull the barrel off line. I think the rifle will shot straight.

Unfortuneately, I think the problem is you. To explain, there are 4 things that determine point of aim. 1) The Target, 2) the front sights, 3) the rear sights, and 4) the position of your eye.

Take your left pointer finger and point it at an object in your room. Now take your other hand and make a circle with your pointer finger and thumb. Align the circle 6" in front of your shooting eye, so that the left hand pointer is in line with the object you selected as your target. Your hands now function like your front and rear sights and represent the bore line of your rifle.

Now move your head to the left or right of the circle. You will lose sight of your target and possibly your finger. Even though your hands are still in line with your target. If your hands represent your front and rear sights, then your point of aim didn't change, your sightline changed. The sights are still pointed at the target so your bore is still on target.

Now to get the rear sight to center the front sight and be on target, you have to either 1) misalign the rear sight in line with your eye, if you move the fingers forming the circle in the same direction that you moved your head the target will be centered again. Or and this is the correct way, 2) reposition your eye in the sightline or boreline from your target thru your front and rear sights.

I thing your not getting enough cheek weld, so your eye isn't centered above your stock which should be in line with the front sight and the rear sight when the rear sight is centered. Now it is possible that your facial structure won't allow you to get your eye perfectly centered on the bore line, but that's why the rear sight is adjustable.

Develop a good cheek weld. When your truly comfortable, take the rifle to the range and move the rear sight so you have a good sight picture when your on target. The rifle with be aligned to your eye.

Izzy43
08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Another thing to check is to determine which eye is dominant. Hold your right index finger up and align it with some object in the room with both eyes open. Close your right eye and note if your finger moved away from the object.

Open both eyes then close the left eye and note if your finger moved away from the object. With the eye open where your finger did not move away from the object is your dominant eye and the one that you should be using for sighting at your target.

When aiming it is best to have both eyes open while using the dominant eye for sighting to the target.