PDA

View Full Version : Need direction to find law for shipping handgun for repair

stevied
08-20-2012, 12:22 PM
I tried to search but couldn't find much.

I need to send my P380 to Kahr for service repair. I understand that it has to go overnight but does it need to be returned through a FFL? I'm assuming that if it does that a 03 with a COE won't help but though I would check.

kouye
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
My local LGS shipped my gun back to Sig Saur and they shipped it directly back to me. There was no real reason to have my LGS ship it for me except for convenience since Sig sent me a shipping label.

Librarian
08-20-2012, 1:21 PM
See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Shipping_Firearms_Within_California

stevied
08-20-2012, 1:56 PM
See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Shipping_Firearms_Within_California

I read that. So since I am a licensed collector, I can just drop it off at UPS and receive it at my house?

JeremyS
08-20-2012, 2:06 PM
You do not need any sort of license as long as you are shipping to an FFL or other licensed party via UPS or FedEx. You are allowed to ship your handgun to the company and they are allowed to ship directly back to you. You do not need to use a local gun store for any reason. If they e-mail you a shipping label, print it out, stick it on a box with the UNLOADED (and no ammo in the box) gun, drop it off at some place that accepts UPS/FedEx, and you're done. The manufacturer should ship back to your home.

wamphyri13
08-20-2012, 3:17 PM
You are allowed to ship directly to ANY licensed FFL. It was go priority overnight, make sure the label doesn't say firearms, etc., and show copy of FFL to front counter staff to verify address. Must be shipped from hub, not store.
I ship through FedEx. Insure for full value, and ship priority overnight. When I drop it off at the local FedEx hub, I tell the receiver it's a firearm, (they want to know) and show them a copy of the FFL to verify the address. This is usually enough. They prefer the label not say firearms, etc. so as to not tip-off their trustworthy employees. I recently shipped a 1911 to Fusion Firearms for some custom work. The woman at the counter blacked out the word Firearms and explained why. I had no problem with it, and the package arrived safely. Return shipping can go directly to the return address on the package. No FFL needed.
Ryan

Librarian
08-20-2012, 3:23 PM
I read that. So since I am a licensed collector, I can just drop it off at UPS and receive it at my house?

That's what the UPS tariff says. Whether they actually understand that is another problem. And, Kahr has an FFL - all UPS/FedEx requires is that the gun either comes from or goes to an FFL, not both.

Also, must use a hub; 'UPS Store' is not supposed to accept guns.

Meta question: since you did read the wiki, what should it have said so that you would have got that?

stevied
08-20-2012, 6:45 PM
That's what the UPS tariff says. Whether they actually understand that is another problem. And, Kahr has an FFL - all UPS/FedEx requires is that the gun either comes from or goes to an FFL, not both.

Also, must use a hub; 'UPS Store' is not supposed to accept guns.

Meta question: since you did read the wiki, what should it have said so that you would have got that?

Wiki doesn't really explain that under the interstate section, just says that it must be declared. Now that i know that i can see how it states that...maybe some additional wording would be beneficial. Thanks for he help. Now to just get this $700 gun to feed properly.

Ross
08-20-2012, 6:58 PM
I sent my Ruger P90 overnight via UPS directly (on my dime) overnight. They sent it directly back to me via UPS three-day delivery.

My Sig I sent the same way though on their dime. It was sent back to me via FEDEX two-day delivery who promptly allowed my 14 year-old to sign for it. Guess the three inch, red letters stating "ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED" on five of the six sides didn't matter.