PDA

View Full Version : One eye or both? and why

Rand B. Wilson
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
amongst many tips from my (excellent shooting) LEO friend, he recommended that i shoot with both eyes open, which i am now learning to do.

Curious what everyone else does with their eyes, and why. :cool2:

swifty
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Two eyes. Why lose 50% of your vision by closing one eye.

CK_32
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Tried it couldn't catch on.. I shoot groups just fine one eye closed so I stick with it.

Rand B. Wilson
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
for a LEO, the extra peripheral vision is obvious.. but for me, having the 3D vision and less fatigue of squinting seemed like it would help.
When i first tried, i could see nothing but a blurred mess of double-targets and more blurry quadrupled sights..
But after just a few hours on the couch practicing with first, my fingers and then graduating to a Bic fireplace lighter, it almost seems easy to line up the target.. i'll be at the range tomorrow to see how it pans out...

BigDogatPlay
08-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Both eyes with a handgun, like with a shotgun, is generally preferable. Focus should be on front sight. If you're seeing double you might be cross dominant and your eyes are fighting each other for control, or you have an astigmatism.

wjc
08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Two eyes.

It allows one to have a wider view to see potential threats. At least that's what I was taught.

Rand B. Wilson
08-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Both eyes with a handgun,...Focus should be on front sight....

Seems to be another point of contention on the innerwebs, as some say focus should be on the target (when two-eyed shooting).. i'm trying to practice both..
open to more opinions.

Sunday
08-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Both eyes open cause that is the way it should be.

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2012, 1:04 PM
It completely depends on the type of shooting and the type of sighting system being used.

tbc
08-20-2012, 1:49 PM
I've tried both eyes at the range and it was ok until I tried both eyes dry firing at night with night sights. I saw six green dots instead of three and simply could not align the sights. So I am going to stick with one eye for now.

mijo45
08-20-2012, 2:08 PM
What are some good drills or ways to practice using both eyes? At home and at the range?

Hilldweller
08-20-2012, 2:11 PM
Mostly both eyes open for pistol. Rifle is usually one eye only.

Of course there are times when I close both eyes, listen for movement and fire.:2guns:

ExtremeX
08-20-2012, 2:14 PM
I first started shooting with 1 eye open... most of that type of shooting was target shooting.

Now a day I rarely target shoot with my HD pistols. I always shoot both eyes open, and only really look for combat accuracy and increased speed to contact target. It took a little getting used to, but now I find it’s the only way to shoot.

I still have a little trouble doing it in no to really low light with night sights, but I can make it work... then again I don’t really look at my sights when I shoot like that, I am looking at the target. I think a lot of it has to do with mussel memory and practice.

On another note I only practice this type of shooting in distances of about 5 to 7 yards.

CK_32
08-20-2012, 3:36 PM
If its for HD/SD I shoot both eyes closed and yell MERICA!! ;)

Scuba Steve33
08-20-2012, 4:14 PM
If you're using iron sights or any non-magnified optics use both eyes. Anything with magnification should be one.

sargenv
08-20-2012, 4:17 PM
I use both eyes open for either.. magnified or not..

OldShooter32
08-20-2012, 4:20 PM
Both eyes. Even if you aren't a LEO/tactical shooter, both eyes will aid your balance.

masayako
08-20-2012, 4:27 PM
Both eyes open cause that is the way it should be.

+1

I like to learn the right way to begin with

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
08-20-2012, 4:32 PM
both eyes open, one eye if I want to hit something at 75-100 yards with a handgun.

nitewing117
08-20-2012, 5:06 PM
IMO, if you're target shooting only, use whatever you feel comfortable with. However, for anything else (e.g., target shooting as practice for HD), use both eyes.

Scuba Steve33
08-20-2012, 5:21 PM
IMO, if you're target shooting only, use whatever you feel comfortable with. However, for anything else (e.g., target shooting as practice for HD), use both eyes.

Definitely do not do this. Train how you fight.

snubbyfan
08-20-2012, 5:45 PM
I practice a lot of point shooting keeping both eyes on the target at the range, indexing off the front sight. I practice this at home as well. My snubby has a laser sight. I look at something across the room or down the hall point my gun at it then activate the laser.
I also do one eye target shooting but I do understand that in a self defense situation I won't be squinting at the dinky little sights on my snubby. I'll be looking at the cause of me drawing my gun in the first place.

RSC
08-20-2012, 5:57 PM
It has to do with the way your nervous system regulates how far it opens your pupils to allow the right amount of light into the eyes. If, in bright day light, you close one eye, the nervous systems registers just half the amount of light (it does not consider that there is just one eye open) and dilates the iris of the open eye more to compensate for the perceived lack of light. That leads to an "over exposure" situation, you get too much light and it is harder to maintain a good sight picture. In darker conditions closing one eye is actually beneficial, just like a build in light amplifier.
... And there is also the peripheral vision thingy to consider
Bottom line, have both eyes open unless your are shooting in dim or dark environments.

Synergy
08-20-2012, 6:04 PM
Guys shooting with 2 eyes open what stance are you using? Weaver or Isosceles?

Dannicus
08-20-2012, 6:08 PM
I usually shoot isoceles. I can hit targets fine with one eye, but my face gets tired pretty quick. I think I acquire better with both eyes open. Getting into shooting clays made me trust my eyes and just let them do their thing, too.

toby
08-20-2012, 6:10 PM
Try both way's extensively, but in the end use what works best for YOU!

snubbyfan
08-20-2012, 6:21 PM
Guys shooting with 2 eyes open what stance are you using? Weaver or Isosceles?

I use Isosceles for point shooting. It opens my peripheral vision on both sides. If shooting targets through the sights one eyed, it's modified Weaver.

tacksman
08-20-2012, 6:21 PM
Both eyes open for quick target acquisition. Gotta know who to drop next.

nitewing117
08-20-2012, 6:27 PM
Definitely do not do this. Train how you fight.

What i was getting at was:
if the ONLY reason someone is shooting is because of target/bullseye groups (in other words, they don't plan on using a firearm for HD), then shoot whatever yields you the most points, whether its 1-eyed, 2-eyes, or no eyed.

Overall, 2-eyed is the way to go.

redcliff
08-20-2012, 7:05 PM
Been discussed before, with a poll: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=585913

11HE9
08-20-2012, 7:53 PM
If you're seeing double you might be cross dominant and your eyes are fighting each other for control...

That was my thought too ^^

I have always shot with both eyes open, just felt natural

Timberland
08-20-2012, 8:07 PM
Squint nondominant eye, both eyes are still open, just not quite

kouye
08-20-2012, 8:09 PM
Hmmm...on some night sights I can't pick up the front sight with both eyes immediately. If I close one eye and pick it up, i can then open the other eye and I'm fine. However, trying to reacquire the sight after I lose it, requires closing the eye again.

This does not happen with all iron sights though.

HK Chef
08-20-2012, 8:11 PM
I started learning to shoot with both open a year ago and love it. With I would have started out that way :-)

sholling
08-20-2012, 8:14 PM
I shoot everything but a scoped rifle with both eyes open so that I can see. One of your eyes will be dominant and is the one that should be looking down the sights.

Pyromaniac34
08-20-2012, 8:42 PM
The issue I have is that I don't have a true dominant eye. For the most part my left eye dominates, but my right eye doesn't want to give up without a fight. It is mildly annoying being right hand/left eye so I tend to use the one eye squinty method.

kouye
08-20-2012, 8:55 PM
I figured out my problem. Being old, I'm both near and far sighted and wear multi-focal lenses. If I have both eyes open I can either see the target or the front sight, but not both unless I can somehow tilt my glasses such that my right I sees out the lower half and my left eye sees out of the upper half. Sucks getting old...

USMC 82-86
08-20-2012, 9:36 PM
I shoot with both eyes open. If I am trying to make a really focused target type of shot at distance I will sometimes close one eye. My vision is not what it used to be and so I usually stick to both eyes open because I am not really a target shooter but more a C.O.B.G. shooter.

Rorge Retson
08-20-2012, 9:40 PM
I figured out my problem. Being old, I'm both near and far sighted and wear multi-focal lenses. If I have both eyes open I can either see the target or the front sight, but not both unless I can somehow tilt my glasses such that my right I sees out the lower half and my left eye sees out of the upper half. Sucks getting old...

Tell me about it dude. Three years ago, no problems. Now, after getting my first pair of bifocals last month, it looks like I need to get trifocals to shoot (top for distance, middle focused on the front sight, bottom for peeling off shoot-n-see targets and loading magazines).

doug-y-doug
08-20-2012, 9:52 PM
Both eyes open for faster target acquisition. I've gotten so used to it that I also shoot better groups that way.

kouye
08-20-2012, 9:52 PM
Tell me about it dude. Three years ago, no problems. Now, after getting my first pair of bifocals last month, it looks like I need to get trifocals to shoot (top for distance, middle focused on the front sight, bottom for peeling off shoot-n-see targets and loading magazines).

I'm thinking prescription shooting glasses...dominant eye set for near focus, and other eye set for far focus...hmmmm....

dem0critus
08-21-2012, 1:06 AM
+1 for both eyes!

Rorge Retson
08-21-2012, 5:28 AM
I'm thinking prescription shooting glasses...dominant eye set for near focus, and other eye set for far focus...hmmmm....

What would really help is an optometrist who is also a shooter. My eye doc will write for me whatever I want, but I have to know what I want first. I have no idea at this point what would be best.

(sorry OP for the OT...)

Horton Fenty
08-21-2012, 6:57 AM
What would really help is an optometrist who is also a shooter.

It would be interesting to hear what an optometrist has to say on the subject.

If we're only talking open sights I use just one eye. I'm right eye dominant, right handed and shoot weaver. Why? That's just how I've been doing it forever.

Lead Waster
08-21-2012, 10:00 AM
I wonder if both eyes open is easier for weaver stance when you are not cross eye dominant?

I tried skeet shooting with both eyes open, I couldn't hit anything until I started closing my non-dominant eye.

I hope to get to the point of both eyes open for pistols. I'm not even sure how to practice this!

I've seen some people put tape over one lens of their shooting glasses, so both eyes are open, but your "other" eye can't see the sight, maybe I'll try this.

BigDogatPlay
08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
If the shooter is truly cross dominant then some opaque tape over the lens of the safety glasses on the dominant side is indeed the quick fix method. It works well with most people I've tried it with shooting clays, and it has worked a couple of times I've tried it with pistol shooters.

In doing this you are training the non-dominant eye. The only other solution is to shoot on the dominant eye side, which is something that can be learned but is often uncomfortable to many.

Bug Splat
08-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Both eyes open for pistols, rifles, iron sights or scoped. I have the ability to process both eye images even if one is behind a scope. I can see my target and its surrounding with my left eye and my target up close through the scope magnified all the way up to 24x or higher with my right. My brain kinda switches back and forth to which ever I want to focus on. Pistols are the same way. Left eye focuses on my target while the right is locked on the front post. I don't think I'm special in any way, this is just how I trained. My first time shooting I closed my left eye. After that I forced myself to keep both open and practice focusing back and forth between them. Over the years it just became second nature to use them at the same time for different jobs.

mdimeo
08-21-2012, 11:33 AM
I have to half-close my left eye to get sights to align. Another reason to like lasergrips; you get to focus on the target instead of the sights.

unusedusername
08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
It's hard to walk around with an eye closed, and harder to remember to close an eye under stress, so I just shoot with both open.

It takes a little getting used to, especially when shooting weak handed. After some practice it works though...

tal3nt
08-21-2012, 1:18 PM
Two eyes open for combat (Field of View), one eye open for target shooting (Precision Focus), both eyes closed for newbs (Probably still more accurate)

The interweb consensus however is that you should shoot with both eyes open no matter what the circumstances or else you're just a troll newb kid that can't shoot for s**T

someR1
08-21-2012, 1:32 PM
I get all dizzy and sh1t with both eyes open, lol. I say do what you feel is most comfortable.

cwilliams
08-21-2012, 1:54 PM
I'm left eye dominate and right handed. I use my left eye on my pistols and my right eye on my rifles. I can shoot my pistol with either eye, but I'm more comfortable with my left. I may try and train to shoot with both eyes open at least on a pistol.

I'm a photographer by profession and use my left eye for the viewfinder, but usually with both eyes open. Putting a rifle scope up to my eye sometimes will confuse my brain to think it's a camera and try and close my right eye.

cwilliams
08-21-2012, 1:55 PM
Double post.

hylander
08-21-2012, 7:31 PM
Both eyes open

XDJYo
08-21-2012, 7:34 PM
This has been a very eye-opening discussion! HAHAHA! Anyways, I've been doing the one-eyed way.

I'm right eye dominant using the 'hands held out, make an open triangle with your hands and focus on a target far away and then bring the hands in keeping the target in focus' thingy. This was the trick I learned in the training class anyways. But, I have the hardest time focusing on the front sight with my right eye. Worse yet, in darker conditions, my vision gets worser! So, the 2 indoor ranges I've been to are kind of dark. So, it's been really hard focusing on that stupid front sight! So, after reading on another thread about both eyes open, I give it a whirl (practicing at home). Turns out, I can focus real fast on the front sight with my left. So, I kind of adopted a weaver hold(?), sighting down the pistol with my left and I can get a decent sight picture with both eyes open. At least, that's how I've been practicing (at home so far) and acquiring the target and focusing on the front sight. So far, it works out faster than struggling to focus with my right eye.

Will try it out at the range this weekend and see how it goes!

LAKings22
08-22-2012, 7:25 PM
One eye. I should start shooting with 2 eyes open.

mikef
08-22-2012, 7:42 PM
I took a weapons class. They taught us to have 2 eyes open at the range. Why? Because practice like u play. If u were to get into a gun fight u would not take time to close an eye. Instinct will keep both eyes open.

razr
08-22-2012, 8:02 PM
Tactical 2 Target 1
I keep both open involuntarily 99% of time.

Sackman1886
08-23-2012, 9:05 AM
Always an issue - I am right-handed, and left-eye dominant. I have trained myself to do with both open, and actually find I become more relaxed and get great accuracy. Really the biggest improvement is follow-up shots and the ability to track your shots (instead of squinting with one eye, and saying - where did that last one go?). It just takes time, and practice! Like everything else...

Sakiri
08-23-2012, 9:41 PM
It's hard to walk around with an eye closed, and harder to remember to close an eye under stress, so I just shoot with both open.

It takes a little getting used to, especially when shooting weak handed. After some practice it works though...

Not hard at all, actually, when you've been doing it for 30 years.

Left eye doesn't work. I've compensated since. ;)

XDJYo
08-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Went to the range yesterday and had a chance to do a mix of both and either left or right eye. Definitely easier to focus on the sight with my left eye.

It seemed that sometimes my brain would get confused with both eyes open. I had to really try hard and hold my head just right to get the right sight picture.

For fun, I even tried just pointing and shooting. No aiming down the sights. They were ok. Won't win no trophies that way. I could do it aiming anyways! Hah!

Still practicing and trying to find the right way.